BBQs

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: BBQs

Post by Jobbo »

Why olive oil though? I would have thought that would be detrimental to the flavour by imposing its own flavour. It also doesn't have a particularly high smoking temperature.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Not detrimental at all, no. It's lovely in fact. And surely you want a little smoke on the BBQ ;) ?

But then I do love olive oil. I fry my eggs in the stuff!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:01 pm Not detrimental at all, no. It's lovely in fact. And surely you want a little smoke on the BBQ ;) ?

I’m going to blow your mind with a little thing they call, Butter 8-)

Dave!
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:01 pm Not detrimental at all, no. It's lovely in fact. And surely you want a little smoke on the BBQ ;) ?

Also a fan of Olive Oil, I substitute it for butter in a bunch of recipes. Frying crumpets, pancakes and toasties, Yorshire puddings and I've had a go at olive oil pastry but haven't succeeded yet.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Pukka.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

GTFO :lol:

It's just what I grew up with. My parents used it all the time.

Dave! will be glad to know that my butter intake is sufficiently northern as well. But it's not for BBQ-ing, apart from maybe on the steak after.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

RobYob wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:00 pm

Also a fan of Olive Oil, I substitute it for butter in a bunch of recipes. Frying crumpets, pancakes and toasties, Yorshire puddings and I've had a go at olive oil pastry but haven't succeeded yet.
Crumpets should be toasted surely. Then slathered in butter.
Pancakes - yep
Yorkshire puds? Beef dripping.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:15 pm

Pancakes - yep
Crumpet batter from scratch needs to be fried. In the highly unlikely event of there being leftovers they can be toasted.

Dripping being generally in short supply I leave what there is in the pan for gravy.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Olive oil is infinitely superior to butter, it's science.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:19 am Olive oil is infinitely superior to butter, it's science.
It is, on a salad.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:04 am
duncs500 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:19 am Olive oil is infinitely superior to butter, it's science.
It is, on a salad.
Agreed. Along with every other application. ;)
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

RobYob wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:55 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:15 pm

Pancakes - yep
Crumpet batter from scratch needs to be fried. In the highly unlikely event of there being leftovers they can be toasted.

Dripping being generally in short supply I leave what there is in the pan for gravy.
Ah sorry - re: crumpets. Makes more sense :lol:
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Bought some sausage meat from the butcher's and made some meatballs yesterday. I covered them in a smokey chipotle BBQ rub and left them overnight.

Fired up the Traeger this afternoon and smoked for 2hrs at 165f. Finished of for a few mins at 420f. They were so delicious that to forgot to take photos 😂😂

I've got some ribs and pork shoulder covered in The Ribman rib rub ready to cook tomorrow. 👍
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

McSwede wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:32 pm Bought some sausage meat from the butcher's and made some meatballs yesterday. I covered them in a smokey chipotle BBQ rub and left them overnight.

Fired up the Traeger this afternoon and smoked for 2hrs at 165f. Finished of for a few mins at 420f. They were so delicious that to forgot to take photos 😂😂

I've got some ribs and pork shoulder covered in The Ribman rib rub ready to cook tomorrow. 👍
Awesome!

I just googled your Traeger BBQ - :o 8-)

Will it go hot enough to do Pizzas as well?
Left over crest; tightens.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Slow cooked some salmon and chicken skewers last weekend. The salmon was particularly amazing. Took a couple of hours.
Left over crest; tightens.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

JonMad wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:08 am
McSwede wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:32 pm Bought some sausage meat from the butcher's and made some meatballs yesterday. I covered them in a smokey chipotle BBQ rub and left them overnight.

Awesome!

I just googled your Traeger BBQ - :o 8-)

Will it go hot enough to do Pizzas as well?
500f/260c is the top setting so yes,

I'd say so. It's an awesome bit of kit to use. The amount of flavour you can get with rubs and smoke is nuts. Can't believe I didn't get one sooner 😂
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

JonMad wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:12 am Slow cooked some salmon and chicken skewers last weekend. The salmon was particularly amazing. Took a couple of hours.
That looks fab!! Bet the salmon takes on some flavour.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Started smoking a shoulder of pork this morning. Marinated for 14hrs in a sweet maple rub. Should make epic pulled pork for this evening.

Also made some sausage meat, meatballs and have coated them with Ribman rib rub and will smoke them today/tomorrow.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

That pork look lush 😎

My wife picked up a 3kg chuck roast to cook on the Weber tomorrow. Going to have a go at using the snake method but it's so big it's intimidating 😂
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Carlos wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:12 pm That pork look lush 😎

My wife picked up a 3kg chuck roast to cook on the Weber tomorrow. Going to have a go at using the snake method but it's so big it's intimidating 😂
It smells fantastic and should be ready soon then rest for 30mins or so.

Charcoal snake is really good you'll get a nice constant temp that'll do the beef a treat!