Marv

NC500 - becoming too busy?

Post by Marv »

Oui, je suis un motard.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: NC500 - becoming too busy?

Post by Ascender »

Seems like a whole host of issues and not just the obvious one about speeding/dangerous driving - I'm pleasantly surprised the article didn't go for the obvious, clickbait headline actually.
The tourists don’t know how to use the roads. They don’t understand how to use passing places, and if someone doesn’t let you overtake, you’re stuck driving at 20-30 miles an hour on a road you know well.
To be honest the one above is common to anywhere in Scotland which doesn't have at least a dual-carriageway and it boils my piss.
Cheers,

Mike.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Ascender wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:49 pm Seems like a whole host of issues and not just the obvious one about speeding/dangerous driving - I'm pleasantly surprised the article didn't go for the obvious, clickbait headline actually.
The tourists don’t know how to use the roads. They don’t understand how to use passing places, and if someone doesn’t let you overtake, you’re stuck driving at 20-30 miles an hour on a road you know well.
To be honest the one above is common to anywhere in Scotland which doesn't have at least a dual-carriageway and it boils my piss.
Anywhere in the UK really, and it’s not just tourists.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

It’s a shame so It’s become so popular...

When I drove it in 2004, it was empty... At one point, we didn’t see another car for well over an hour.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Well it's been a couple of years, but it didn't really get any worse in the coupe of times I've been up. Yes there's traffic, but there's also so much good stuff when you're on a proper trip. Last time I remember chasing YK for ages on some real high speed stuff with no other cars for a good 20mins.

You just have to try not to get pissed off with the idiots and pass when safe. It is difficult when you're stuck behind a camper for 10 miles who won't pull over on the passing points... especially when the signage is crystal clear. :evil:
mik

Post by mik »

I find I enjoy 2-3 car groups the most enjoyable - you always hit tossers insistant on making it harder to pass than it should be, but regrouping with small groups is possible in a way that is impracticle with more cars.

Last time I was up North on the Secret Road I followed a truck using both lanes for about a mile at 15-20mph. Mudge had passed him whilst he was happy to use just the one lane and spent the following frustrating minutes taking the right hand lane at every opportunity to show me it was safe to pass. But I couldnt. :evil:

Eventually mr mudgles stopped completely in front of the twat, and i was able to squeeze around.

If the following 8 miles had not been possibly the best 8 miles I have ever traversed in the 'vora I might have been annoyed. 8-)
Marv

Post by Marv »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:54 pm Well it's been a couple of years, but it didn't really get any worse in the coupe of times I've been up. Yes there's traffic, but there's also so much good stuff when you're on a proper trip. Last time I remember chasing YK for ages on some real high speed stuff with no other cars for a good 20mins.

You just have to try not to get pissed off with the idiots and pass when safe. It is difficult when you're stuck behind a camper for 10 miles who won't pull over on the passing points... especially when the signage is crystal clear. :evil:
Think we're generally okay, because we go there out of holiday season.

When we parted after the NC500, I headed to Skye. The school holidays kicked in, then everywhere got noticibly busier.

When I was leaving the island a few days later, I got stuck behind a very slow transit van who refused to move over, so when a car came the other way and they both pulled into a passing points, I nipped passed him. The Transit driver didn't seem happy with me doing this 😆

I did however get most of the lower section of the A82 next to the loch to myself that year, no other cars at all. Was superb, despite being in the Golf. Then last year in 968 in September, we were stuck behind a train of slow moving cars 😕
Oui, je suis un motard.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

mik wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:50 am
Eventually mr mudgles stopped completely in front of the twat, and i was able to squeeze around.
Great tactic! 8-)
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Bugger. Im planning a trip for next year, key advice is to go outside school holidays then?
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Marv

Post by Marv »

Orange Cola wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:59 am Bugger. Im planning a trip for next year, key advice is to go outside school holidays then?
Yep, definitely. Even then hotels and B&Bs can be short on rooms out of holiday season, so book early.

The NC500 is really good, but for pure driving roads, there are better, less known parts of Scotland, just no one has organised a round route to link them up, then marketed it 😉
Oui, je suis un motard.
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

It is getting busier, but the area is so vast that it’s not exactly packed. My main concern is increased camera/police presence. There was a definite increase in serious metal up there when I went earlier in the year and whilst I’m sure 95% behave themselves, it only takes a few in conspicuous cars to over-do it and it’s game over. You don’t easily miss a convoy of GT2RS, Performantes, 675LTs, and Speciales after all.

I’m fully aware of the irony here, but of course no one even bats an eyelid at a stupidly loud Exige :geek:

I applaud whoever has come up with the Heart 200.

www.heart200.scot

The roads on the route are thoroughly shit and seemingly actively avoid the amazing roads only a hop and skip off of it.

8-)
Last edited by Maurice on Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jackleg

Post by Jackleg »

Tummel Bridge to Killiecrankie isn't too bad if you avoid it in caravan season. But you're right, there are some fantastic roads the next glen over so to speak.
mik

Post by mik »

Maurice wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:47 pm

wwww.heart200.scot
Barry
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

mik wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:00 pm
Maurice wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:47 pm

wwww.heart200.scot
Barry
Thats it, that’s the last time I risk my life stopping a truck for you.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Wasn’t there a GT episode where they plotted out their own alternative to the nc500 and drove it? A friend of mine is trying to re-enact this next month in a Cayman.
Mike1215

Post by Mike1215 »

Marv wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:14 pm

The NC500 is really good, but for pure driving roads, there are better, less known parts of Scotland, just no one has organised a round route to link them up, then marketed it 😉
It's like the next 'EVO Triangle' seemingly ........and as you say there are better, less known roads to drive on ....in Scotland or Wales
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Steve Carter (@HighlandRampage) Tweeted:
The joys of the NC500. Artic simply can't reverse (90 degree bends behind him). 3 motorhomes can't reverse, because they don't want to/know how to. End result: Mexican standoff. I turned around and went home (stopping more traffic from joining in). Rubbish pic through windscreen. https://t.co/6X9rAXh9kQ

😐
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

As sad as that is it brings a tiny crumb of comfort that these fucking idiots don’t only exist in Kent.
How about not having a sig at all?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Holy thread bump Batman...

Was thinking how to get some miles on the Touring as it's a 1500 mile run-in period, so I think we'll go north and do this route in March. Both sets of parents live on the route, so will have a look about how best to break it up and maybe get a hotel at the start and at halfway. Head up from Edinburgh on the Friday, back on the Monday night I think.
Cheers,

Mike.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Surely you want to run it in before you go to the NC500? ;)