Facebook is watching me!

Zonda_

Facebook is watching me!

Post by Zonda_ »

Took a parcel in for next door neighbour earlier, never heard of the company, certainly never used them. Log into Facebook just now and the first advert I see is for the company! :shock:
NotoriousREV

Re: Facebook is watching me!

Post by NotoriousREV »

They’re not watching, they’re listening. I don’t care how often they deny it, I’m 100% convinced of it.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ste

Post by ste »

Do they deny it? They 100% are listening.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:38 pm They’re not watching, they’re listening. I don’t care how often they deny it, I’m 100% convinced of it.
Oh I know they do that, I've sat with my mate and we've said the most random things we can come up with and sure enough, and ad for that thing will appear in our Facebook feeds within a day. I never said anything about this company though, took the parcel in and left in the dining room.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

ste wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:42 pm Do they deny it? They 100% are listening.
Google deny it.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Middle-aged Dirtbag
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

All I can think is that the delivery driver put the address where he left the parcel into his system and Facebook have somehow got it from there, it's way too much of an obscure company to be a coincidence and in far too short a space of time.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:38 pm They’re not watching, they’re listening. I don’t care how often they deny it, I’m 100% convinced of it.
Yep same here. It doesn't even bother me that much for some reason - try and sell me things I want and recommend YouTube clips I want to see. Meh.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

I think this has been ‘proven’ by a YouTube vid posted on here a while back, someone took a fresh install of a web app and reviewed the adverts. After plugging in a microphone and dropping a few key words in most of the adverts changed to reflect the key words.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Orange Cola wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:12 pm I think this has been ‘proven’ by a YouTube vid posted on here a while back, someone took a fresh install of a web app and reviewed the adverts. After plugging in a microphone and dropping a few key words in most of the adverts changed to reflect the key words.
Still doesn't explain my experience.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I don't trust Google, but I trust Facebook even less. They literally don't give a single flying fvck about anybody's privacy, nor do they try and hide it.
Cheers,

Mike.
GG.

Post by GG. »

This remind me - I need to review my iPhone to check which apps have microphone permissions. Someone at work was talking about some work they were doing for a client and all of a sudden, having never heard of this client before, I started getting instagram adverts for their business :?
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Problem is, if you give Facebook access to your microphone because you posted a video once, that's it got permission to use it without notifying you. So its not granular enough to know exactly what they're going to do with it.
Cheers,

Mike.
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

It's amazing what is available and tracked via DMP platforms. It could be delivery company sharing data or location tracking service via Google or other on the deliver service and associating drop off address with your profile etc etc
Richard

Post by Richard »

Orange Cola wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:12 pm I think this has been ‘proven’ by a YouTube vid posted on here a while back, someone took a fresh install of a web app and reviewed the adverts. After plugging in a microphone and dropping a few key words in most of the adverts changed to reflect the key words.
BULL SHIT
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Of course FB isn't monitoring you, but tracking is such a game of cat and mouse that its difficult to keep ahead of some of the underhand tactics in use.

I still wouldn't connect my Samsung telly to the internet mind #tinfoilhat
Cheers,

Mike.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Richard wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:56 am
BULL SHIT

:lol: It’s amazing how the big companies deny it.

But then again my sarcasm detector may be broken and you’re actually being serious :o
Richard

Post by Richard »

Very serious
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Richard wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:14 amVery serious
Enjoy.

Richard

Post by Richard »

If they were listening like that, it’d be all over the news.

It’s not

So they don’t