Mito Man

Re: Car Hire Lottery

Post by Mito Man »

Same car with a lift kit really.
How about not having a sig at all?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Nice to go up instead of down for once 8-)
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Yeah, normally it would be a Fiat Tipo or Peugeot 308 or some other sub-tier rubbish.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Review here: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/au ... -uk-review

1.5 turbo with 148bhp, 0-60 in 9.7. She ain’t fast.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

£35k. I know in the days of leasing the actual cost of a car is of little interest to most, but I still find it staggering how much some "regular" cars cost these days.

That being said, I do like the new digital dash in the new Audi's.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Although Audi's new 'numbering' name system is absolute pony.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
scotta

Post by scotta »

Simon wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:43 am Although Audi's new 'numbering' name system is absolute pony.
This.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Yeah, when they published the formula for how they come up with the number I thought it was a Sniffpetrol piss-take.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Same :D
GG.

Post by GG. »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:04 pm Yeah, normally it would be a Fiat Tipo or Peugeot 308 or some other sub-tier rubbish.
As mentioned on another thread, we recently had the delight of a Renault Captur on our trip to Portugal. I'll briefly mention it here rather than give it the dignity of its own thread.

I'm not even sure which engine it had but had abysmal turbo lag and felt like it couldn't pull the skin of a rice pudding. Specs online seem to suggest it is either an 10.6 or 12.6 second to 60 car so err... not sprightly :lol: It also had a less than compliant ride, shuddering over speed bumps which is surely inexcusable for a jacked up soft roader thing.

I was also amazed (given that it outwardly looked pretty large) at how laughably small the interior space was. We fit one large case in the boot with a soft bag and the other cases and pram had to go on the passenger seat. I can't really see why you would buy one of those rather than a Clio. I then checked the RRP... its pretty much SIXTEEN thousand pounds starting price. What the suffering fuck!

It smelt new inside and bluetoothed to my iphone but that's about the only positives I can think of.

Nul points from me.
scotta

Post by scotta »

GG. wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:29 am
NotoriousREV wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:04 pm Yeah, normally it would be a Fiat Tipo or Peugeot 308 or some other sub-tier rubbish.
As mentioned on another thread, we recently had the delight of a Renault Captur on our trip to Portugal. I'll briefly mention it here rather than give it the dignity of its own thread.

I'm not even sure which engine it had but had abysmal turbo lag and felt like it couldn't pull the skin of a rice pudding. Specs online seem to suggest it is either an 10.6 or 12.6 second to 60 car so err... not sprightly :lol: It also had a less than compliant ride, shuddering over speed bumps which is surely inexcusable for a jacked up soft roader thing.

I was also amazed (given that it outwardly looked pretty large) at how laughably small the interior space was. We fit one large case in the boot with a soft bag and the other cases and pram had to go on the passenger seat. I can't really see why you would buy one of those rather than a Clio. I then checked the RRP... its pretty much SIXTEEN thousand pounds starting price. What the suffering fuck!

It smelt new inside and bluetoothed to my iphone but that's about the only positives I can think of.

Nul points from me.
Was it quicker than a £32k car though? :lol:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

This Q3 feels big. Loads of room inside, although the boot only just fit our 4 suitcases in it. It has loads of kit but the wheels are too small and I’d like an actual engine, too.

The ergonomics are shit, though. The car was set to English already but when we set the sat nav, someone had obviously dicked about with it and it was set to avoid motorways and the voice guidance was turned off. They were easy to sort, however the volume was set to “ear bleeding” and it took about 5 mins of trying to find the volume control as there isn’t one on the steering wheel and the actual knob is located right at the bottom of the centre console stack, on the passenger side.

You can see it in this image, but at night, whilst trying to find your way out of Nice airport, it’s definitely not easy to spot.
Last edited by NotoriousREV on Thu May 23, 2019 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

I had the car hire lottery jackpot twenty years ago in Germany. Travelling around on graduate pay I hired a base Polo. Had the hire Co manager come over and sincerely apologise that my Polo wasn't ready for me and would a 320d be ok?

I took it to the Nurburgring and Vmax'd it on the way.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Got either a Chevy Tahoe or Ford Expedition waiting for us in Florida when we land on Saturday. Really hope the the Ford is available as that's the one I fancy trying for the two weeks we're there.
Simon

Post by Simon »

This is all irrelevant anyway Rev. The pertinent question is "have you taken your brother-in-law with you?"
The artist formerly known as _Who_
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:09 pm Review here: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/au ... -uk-review

1.5 turbo with 148bhp, 0-60 in 9.7. She ain’t fast.
I’m surprised at that, the same engine in a karoq is over a second quicker
scotta

Post by scotta »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:17 pm Got either a Chevy Tahoe or Ford Expedition waiting for us in Florida when we land on Saturday. Really hope the the Ford is available as that's the one I fancy trying for the two weeks we're there.
Florida is on the cards again for us next year i think. Were off to australia this year.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Simon wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:31 pm This is all irrelevant anyway Rev. The pertinent question is "have you taken your brother-in-law with you?"
Luckily, he’s not speaking to MrsREV at the moment. This is because we wouldn’t let him come with us when we went to see U2 a few months ago. It was the first night out we’d had in about 4 months as a couple without the kids. We had tickets for the Friday night, and were having a proper date night with a meal etc. He had tickets for the Saturday night but decided he wanted to come out with us and would try and buy a ticket off a tout. When MrsREV told him he couldn’t come with us, or sleep on our couch after the gig, he threw a strop and still isn’t speaking to her. Result.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Bloody right 👍🏼