Niki Lauda

JLv3.0

Niki Lauda

Post by JLv3.0 »

Yep. 70 doesn't seem so old either although I must admit I didn't know about his recent lung transplant. RIP.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48345660
Alex_

Re: Niki Lauda

Post by Alex_ »

:(

RIP Legend
M235i
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Sad news, don’t think there will ever be another like him
exiges

Post by exiges »

:-(

You can’t say he had an uneventful life. That crash is still etched in my brain
exiges

Post by exiges »

jamcg wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:52 am Sad news, don’t think there will ever be another like him
Indeed
mik

Post by mik »

Brave man.

I didn’t know about the transplant, but 70 is too young.

RIP.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

"Their battle has been turned into a Hollywood film, but it misrepresented them as enemies - in fact, Lauda and Hunt were close friends. So much so they had next-door rooms that weekend in Japan and, on race morning, with Hunt in bed with a girlfriend, Lauda goose-stepped into the room and barked out: "Today, I vin the Vorld Championship."
:mrgreen:

RIP
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

RIP. He was one tough motherfucker.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Always remember the story of his first Lauda Air flight, there was some issue with him getting final clearance.

'I am taking off now. If you want to stop me, you will have to shoot me down.'

8-)
John

Post by John »

exiges wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:02 am :-(

You can’t say he had an uneventful life. That crash is still etched in my brain
Me too, I was horrified watching it as a young boy.

Very sad news.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

He was given the last rites after the accident so I guess another 40 odd years is a good innings. He never seemed to get over the lung transplant. I think he made it home for a few days months after it was done and then straight back to hospital.

The grid will have black nosecones at Monaco maybe. RIP
GG.

Post by GG. »

Sad times indeed - the passing of a true legend. Incredible that he was still a steering hand behind Mercedes’ success right up to the present era.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Ah shit :(
How about not having a sig at all?
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

RIP to a legend.

I haven’t seen any this season so assumed he at all the most recent races?
Left over crest; tightens.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

RIP.

Not been at any races since his transplant last year. It had gone very quiet re: health updates, so perhaps not entirely unexpected to hear.
tim

Post by tim »

Sad news. I was only thinking the other day I wonder whether he's not doing well, as we've not seen or heard anything from him from any of the TV people.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Gavin wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:27 am He was given the last rites after the accident so I guess another 40 odd years is a good innings. He never seemed to get over the lung transplant. I think he made it home for a few days months after it was done and then straight back to hospital.

69 is ooooold to have a lung transplant. Which would suggest said organ was not sourced through usual channels and means you can run into further problems. Also it’s a tough enough operation for the 30/40 year olds we usually do it on!
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Explosive Newt wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:07 pm
Gavin wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:27 am He was given the last rites after the accident so I guess another 40 odd years is a good innings. He never seemed to get over the lung transplant. I think he made it home for a few days months after it was done and then straight back to hospital.

69 is ooooold to have a lung transplant. Which would suggest said organ was not sourced through usual channels and means you can run into further problems. Also it’s a tough enough operation for the 30/40 year olds we usually do it on!
I wondered about that at the time when it was described as an emergency transplant.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Zonda_ wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:11 pm
Explosive Newt wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:07 pm

I wondered about that at the time when it was described as an emergency transplant.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13792 ... ay-doctors - it was performed at a reputable centre in Austria but then I don't know how their transplant listing procedures differ to the UK. The scenario they describe is a difficult one - you have a patient stuck on an artificial heart and lung machine (ECMO) and you're stuck either waiting for them to die on the machine or listing them for transplant.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

:( R.i.p..