Dealing with Ferrari

Post by SSO »

I just posted a new article on almost 2 decades of dealing with Ferrari:

https://karenable.com/dealing-with-ferrari/

Comments?
RobYob

Re: Dealing with Ferrari

Post by RobYob »

Interesting write up, it does suprise me that some car dealers at the top end of town still treat customers like mugs.

Dany B....
He obviously arrived at Lotus with a reputation for having the Midas touch from his time at Ferrari. He was clearly gifted at acquiring and spending vast amounts of other people's money but was his "success" at Ferrari just luck or do you think he really had some insight into the sportscar business?

Looking back I think his infamous five car plan probably wasn't such a bad idea to get Lotus making money but the execution of the plan was... well.. catastrophic.
SSO

Post by SSO »

RobYob wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:24 am Interesting write up, it does suprise me that some car dealers at the top end of town still treat customers like mugs.

Dany B....
He obviously arrived at Lotus with a reputation for having the Midas touch from his time at Ferrari. He was clearly gifted at acquiring and spending vast amounts of other people's money but was his "success" at Ferrari just luck or do you think he really had some insight into the sportscar business?

Looking back I think his infamous five car plan probably wasn't such a bad idea to get Lotus making money but the execution of the plan was... well.. catastrophic.
I don’t think Ferrari would view Dany time their as being a success.....
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

SSO wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:44 pm I just posted a new article on almost 2 decades of dealing with Ferrari:

Comments?
Interesting that Boardwalk was chalk and cheese (seemingly) with the sales vs the servicing department. But then I've found this outside the rarefied Ferrari world and I suppose that is the difference between customers you have a brief relationship with and customers you are going to see over a long time.

If anything I am not surprised that sales will operate in this way at the top end. While I'm sure lots of Ferrari customers like yourself are astute with their money, there must be quite a few rich mugs who are easily parted with their money for a dream car. I imagine that is a pretty reliable business model.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

At least I know which Ferrari dealer to go to in the UK when my numbers come up now 😀

Alas I don't even enter.

Given we're on the topic - oldest trick in the book
- https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48280132
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

SSO wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:14 am I don’t think Ferrari would view Dany time their as being a success.....
Sounds very interesting, able to elaborate? :D

IIRC Ferraris profit was strong during those years, I've never looked into whether that was because, or in spite of DB. He certainly played off the Ferrari halo to judge himself a success as grand marketing poobah.
SSO

Post by SSO »

RobYob wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:15 am
SSO wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:14 am I don’t think Ferrari would view Dany time their as being a success.....
Sounds very interesting, able to elaborate? :D

IIRC Ferraris profit was strong during those years, I've never looked into whether that was because, or in spite of DB. He certainly played off the Ferrari halo to judge himself a success as grand marketing poobah.
He actually wasn't at Ferrari for very long, and certainly not long enough to have had an impact on the bottom line.
SSO

Post by SSO »

Explosive Newt wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:14 am
SSO wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:44 pm I just posted a new article on almost 2 decades of dealing with Ferrari:

Comments?
If anything I am not surprised that sales will operate in this way at the top end. While I'm sure lots of Ferrari customers like yourself are astute with their money, there must be quite a few rich mugs who are easily parted with their money for a dream car. I imagine that is a pretty reliable business model.
Its driven a lot of business McLaren's way.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Sounds similar to my limited interaction with HR Owen. I must say Maranello and DK Engineering are a much more pleasant experience.
Cheers,

Ian
SSO

Post by SSO »

IanF wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:45 pm Sounds similar to my limited interaction with HR Owen. I must say Maranello and DK Engineering are a much more pleasant experience.
DK is really good but had a few really horrible experiences with Maranello. Amazingly arrogant....
mik

Post by mik »

We should play a game of % owners who are really into driving. :?

I reckon a significant number of Fezza & Porky owners are not. Which isn't to suggest they aren't drivers cars - anything but - yet I feel they are the obvious choice for those with money but no real understanding of the product they are purchasing. Victims of their own success - they have become obvious "luxury brands". In a way that I cannot believe Lotus, or McLaren have.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Who cares? Porsche and Ferrari aren’t hurt by buyers who only want their cars for posing in, but their reputation as aspirational brands would quickly disappear if they stopped making great drivers cars. Mclaren are no different - there’s still plenty of lime green/flashy colour ones roaring up and down Ascot High St to get noticed.
mik

Post by mik »

Yeah, maybe it doesnt matter a toss. I'm not a sales expert, but I guess you take a different approach if you suspect the client wants the badge & their associated perception of kudos more than the product itself.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:53 pm Yeah, maybe it doesnt matter a toss. I'm not a sales expert, but I guess you take a different approach if you suspect the client wants the badge & their associated perception of udos more than the product itself.
Cars can only really get the perception of Kudos by being good though. If you stick a Ferrari badge on a shit car then everyone will declare the car as shit and all it will do is devalue the badge.

If Ferrari made a car that was anything less than brilliant, then even the most casual of buyer would know with shows like Top Gear being so mainstream.
mik

Post by mik »

True. I'm not even sure of the point I am trying to make tbh. :?

Other than the obvious fact that folks with money can buy expensive items without necessarily having any real interest in watches/fashion/cars/yada.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

mik wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:13 am True. I'm not even sure of the point I am trying to make tbh. :?
Seconded :D
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

SSO wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:19 pm
IanF wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:45 pm Sounds similar to my limited interaction with HR Owen. I must say Maranello and DK Engineering are a much more pleasant experience.
DK is really good but had a few really horrible experiences with Maranello. Amazingly arrogant....
Interesting, I’ve not dealt with Maranello sales.

DK certainly are different, happily showing you around everything, plus willing to teach you (well, me) things about my own car and others. I spent six hours there the first day, when I was only meant to drop off my 430. :oops: Felt extremely welcome every time I’ve been there, for however long I’ve hung around.
Cheers,

Ian
SSO

Post by SSO »

IanF wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:20 am
SSO wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:19 pm
Interesting, I’ve not dealt with Maranello sales.

DK certainly are different, happily showing you around everything, plus willing to teach you (well, me) things about my own car and others. I spent six hours there the first day, when I was only meant to drop off my 430. :oops: Felt extremely welcome every time I’ve been there, for however long I’ve hung around.
Feedback on DK is very consist and positive.

On Maranello in Egham, I used to live 3 miles from them but sent my Ferraris to Carrs in Exeter for service
exiges

Post by exiges »

My experience of Ferrari dealers has been pretty poor. Licence to print, so they don't need to try.

One dealer (Meridian Modena Lyndhurst) wouldn't even let me in the door because he thought I was just there to look at shiny cars (that's what you get for having a showroom in a town centre)

When I picked up my 360 Spider from Graypauls the car was filthy and they made me go to the post office to get my own tax disc before I could drive off !
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

exiges wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:35 pm Meridian Modena Lyndhurst
Funny, I’ve been in there 3 or 4 times and never had an issue. You must look dodgy Exiges!!! :lol:

Last time I was there, a guy was finishing the paperwork on buying a Lovely F355 - he had holes in his shoes.

As they say, Money Shouts, Wealth Whispers

Edit - thinking again, did you have the kids with you ? Might be the reason they didn’t let you in
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…