The caravan thread

Foz

Re: The caravan thread

Post by Foz »

Been looking at these kinda things recently.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 4209141173
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Sundayjumper wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 5:07 pm
drcarlos wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:48 pm Maybe, but there was a lot less traffic on the roads back then too.
And brakes weren't as good, and tyres weren't as good, and traction control barely existed, etc...

Anyway, it wasn't so much the idea of hooking up a caravan to your Dad's Cortina that I was talking about, it was being allowed to jump in a 7 tonne truck with a 5 tonne trailer straight away without ever towing anything before.
It’s utter bells who think all they need is a licence. No—ones checks nose weight (it’s very easy to do) and you see so many cars utterly rammed to the gills not thinking it has any effect.

I mean camping folk rock up on site with a fridge in-secured next to kids and think it’s ok. The same idiots put 1.5 tons behind the vehicle which gets a cursory look over once a year.

Mumble grumble old man.

Dave!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Are the 5th Wheel style American ones any good... if you had the necessary pick-up??
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Foz

Post by Foz »

dinny_g wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:35 pm Are the 5th Wheel style American ones any good... if you had the necessary pick-up??
The pick up is the problem? And the attachment doesn’t exactly look portable.

“Murica”
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

V8Granite wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:15 pm
drcarlos wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:48 pm Maybe, but there was a lot less traffic on the roads back then too.
And brakes weren't as good, and tyres weren't as good, and traction control barely existed, etc...

Anyway, it wasn't so much the idea of hooking up a caravan to your Dad's Cortina that I was talking about, it was being allowed to jump in a 7 tonne truck with a 5 tonne trailer straight away without ever towing anything before.
It’s utter bells who think all they need is a licence. No—ones checks nose weight (it’s very easy to do) and you see so many cars utterly rammed to the gills not thinking it has any effect.

Dave!
I don’t bother anymore but I always load it the same. After having to watch nose weight for several years on the old car I learned the best way of balancing so just keep doing that now even though it’s not as important with the truck.

Carl
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

V8Granite wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:15 pm

I mean camping folk rock up on site with a fridge in-secured next to kids and think it’s ok. The same idiots put 1.5 tons behind the vehicle which gets a cursory look over once a year.

Mumble grumble old man.

Dave!
Those are the ones that end up upside down on the M5 or A55 every summer.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

It is great to have something like this just there and ready to go, we use the camper van a lot, the kids love it, just head off on a Friday night.

We had an event last weekend and the trip up was a bit of a 'mare thanks to the usual drivers who've no idea how to drive on anything other than motorways. Combine that factor with a reasonable amount of caravans being towed by cars whose rear suspension is bottomed out and it was more than a bit frustrating.
Cheers,

Mike.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I know 2 people who've rolled a caravan and the story was the same for both.

1. Caravan weight approaching that of the tow vehicle with the justification that the max. towing weight was much more.
2. Tow car being unsettled after a HGV has overtaken them.
3. Hitting the brakes because the whole unit had a bit of a wiggle on.

They both felt afterwards it was unavoidable and I'm not cunty enough to tell them any different but the above tells you that towing is clearly not straight forward for everybody.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Carlos wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:39 am I know 2 people who've rolled a caravan and the story was the same for both.

1. Caravan weight approaching that of the tow vehicle with the justification that the max. towing weight was much more.
2. Tow car being unsettled after a HGV has overtaken them.
3. Hitting the brakes because the whole unit had a bit of a wiggle on.

They both felt afterwards it was unavoidable and I'm not cunty enough to tell them any different but the above tells you that towing is clearly not straight forward for everybody.
I've only ever towed once. I was using a Subaru pickup to pull a twin-axle trailer with the rolling shell of a Vauxhall Firenza on it and some boxes of parts. It was probably overweight, but I don't really know. I was on a downhill stretch of motorway (approaching J15 of the M6 northbound) when someone pulled out from the sliproad causing me to have to get off the gas (not even brake!). It took me a good half mile and 2 lanes to gather it up again. I don't like towing :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

This is just helping persuade me I need a *really* heavy tow car.
Left over crest; tightens.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

But you had the sense not to stamp on the brakes 😀
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Carlos wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:56 am But you had the sense not to stamp on the brakes 😀
I saw it coming from a way back but there wasn't a lot I could do that didn't fill me with fear. After I got it straight again my mate Matt, who was following in his van with the engines and gearboxes in it, phoned me. He didn't say a word because he was laughing so much.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

JonMad wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:56 am This is just helping persuade me I need a *really* heavy tow car.
Definitely not needed but with a twin axle loading is even more important than with a single imo.

Load up car, put caravan on, drop jockey wheel onto bathroom scales and measure nose weight. I put 150kg on the Defender but from memory cars are 75 or so?

I towed the Merc on a double axle trailer and would have no issue needing to do an emergency stop, it was very stable and controlled. My old 405 towed a 20 odd foot boat and was also really stable and the 405 was less than 1200kg. It only becomes an issue in really strong winds and then even my Defender I’d pull over and wait if I was pulling a large box.

Plus tyre pressures, towball height etc, this is why it’s important to check nose weight after you load up.

Towing something big is a lot of fun!!

As a stupid youth me and a friend towed my first 405 on a double axle trailer with a Peugeot 205 1.8xd. It needed 3rd gear on a lot of slopes and coming down the A52 to a big roundabout we realised the trailer isolator pin was still attached, so I did the handbrake as my colleague did the rest, interesting and some good idiot points earnt.

Dave!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Twin axles make you look like you do tarmacing
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Richard wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:50 pm Twin axles make you look like you do tarmacing
as opposed to all the positive associations of normal caravans...
Richard

Post by Richard »

Well, there is that
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

😀
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Just avoid Periwinkle Blue...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

dinny_g wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:33 pm Just avoid Periwinkle Blue...
Handkerchief code ?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

"...an she's fierce fond of d'Periwinkle Blue..."