The caravan thread

JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

The caravan thread

Post by JonMad »

Wife making lots of mentions of caravans and asking me to research them. She seems to think this will stop me looking at cars but as we have a 1.2 Yeti I suspect the opposite is true. So possibly new family tow/wagon beckons, along with a small runabout (The plan was the rally car being a runabout but then bought one without useable rear seats and without adjustable front seats, much to her annoyance).

Anyway, back to vans.

What should I be looking at? I recall some German ones were mentioned as being good but some sites don't allow them? (or you get treated badly/looked down upon for having one, was that it?).

We have two kids currently 7 & 3 and I don't want to be sleeping in the same room as them.

And I have no idea how much to pay and suspect prices are all over the place.
Last edited by JonMad on Thu May 09, 2019 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Left over crest; tightens.
Jimexpl

Re: The caravan thread

Post by Jimexpl »

If you must have a caravan, my first call would be to the Sussex Caravan Centre (West Sussex) https://www.sussexcaravancentre.co.uk

Run by a car mad family who will give you honest answers and a decent service. What other caravan place has a DeLorean and Diablo in the staff car park?
mik

Post by mik »

Pretty much what you said.

German vans are popular with travellers 'cos they are wider than UK vans and generally better appointed. Some sites are sniffy about them due to the association, and not all insurance providers will cover them.

We had a (larger single-axle) Fendt for several years when the sprogs were younglings. It was great.

dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Is a "Bailey" one of those brands ??? :lol:

Reason I ask is that a mates 5 berth was stolen outside his house in Ireland and ended up in a Halting Site near Birmingham 2 years later.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

We're on our second van in 5 years and both were the same layout, 4 berth fixed double bed at back and small washroom, seating/dining at front that converts to a double bed. The only fundamental difference between the 2 vans is the newer one is longer and wider giving a really big double at the front, more storage and bigger kitchen area.

As Jim mentions go and look at a load of vans before buying just to ascertain the layout that suits you as there are many e.g In our case the washroom only gets used to pee in at night so we didn't want to waste space on a big bathroom.

The newer vans (>2010) have very little (if any) structural wood in them so even if they do leak a bit nothing rots.

I was a reluctant camper but genuinely love it even the challenge of towing, my kids are 12 and 13 now and just disappear making dens, climbing trees, tickling fish or rats etc, we have to take them food during the day and round them up at night 8)
Last edited by Carlos on Thu May 09, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

dinny_g wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:27 pm Is a "Bailey" one of those brands ??? :lol:
They're an old British manufacturer. That's what we have.

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I’m assuming you guys have done the maths on it all - does it work out a lot cheaper than just renting a static caravan? (And how many trips before it becomes much cheaper?)

I’m not after one, but I’m genuinely curious.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Carlos wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:06 pm
dinny_g wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:27 pm Is a "Bailey" one of those brands ??? :lol:

I only went in one trip in it but it was lovely - 30 mins to fully set up.

He mentioned something about his having high grade insulation?? He reckons it’s the most important thing to consider if planning to use the van in the UK in Autumn / Winter.

@Rich - the numbers never stack up in comparison to Static Rental. This is generally shot down with the “Decide on Thursday, go away on Friday” argument...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

dinny_g wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:23 pm
Carlos wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:06 pm

I only went in one trip in it but it was lovely - 30 mins to fully set up.

He mentioned something about his having high grade insulation?? He reckons it’s the most important thing to consider if planning to use the van in the UK in Autumn / Winter.

@Rich - the numbers never stack up in comparison to Static Rental. This is generally shot down with the “Decide on Thursday, go away on Friday” argument...
do you not need to book sites for caravans though, or is there always room?
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Buy a damp meter :!:
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Rich B wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:24 pm do you not need to book sites for caravans though, or is there always room?
We always get in even on bank holidays.

They depreciate slowly which helps the first one we had didn't depreciate at all over 18 months so the van cost £900 over that period in maintenance, tyres, storage and gas. Pitch costs from £15 per night to £35+ summer/bank holidays.

We're lucky in Wales that we don't have to go far to feel like your away. Chuck the bikes on the car, change of clothes, beer and bbq food and thats a weekend away (fri-sun) for less £100.
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

Great info, thanks chaps. I'm also liking the demonstration of decent tow cars in this thread.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Probably a good idea to rent once or twice to see if you like it, and what kind of layout suits you ?

Caravan storage always seems like a PITA.

Full steam ahead on the tow car though 8-)
mik

Post by mik »

JonMad wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:49 pm Great info, thanks chaps. I'm also liking the demonstration of decent tow cars in this thread.
:lol: scoob pulled it easily and I never held anyone up :D but it was very close to the max towable limit for the car. Disco3 didnt pull it as quickly, but whilst it would be an exaggeration to suggest "you didn even know you were towing anything" it did do so with remarkable ease and composure.

And as per Carlos - towing is a different challenge/skill and therefore usually fun. 8-)
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

mik wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:09 pm And as per Carlos - towing is a different challenge/skill and therefore usually fun. 8-)
Reversing is definitely a challenge !
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Sundayjumper wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:24 pm
mik wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:09 pm And as per Carlos - towing is a different challenge/skill and therefore usually fun. 8-)
There's Electric Jockey Wheel Mover now so you'll never have to reverse with the van again... :lol:
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

dinny_g wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:32 pm
There's Electric Jockey Wheel Mover now so you'll never have to reverse with the van again... :lol:

Shhhh!
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

:) Noted.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Did you see the Smith and Sniff youtube vid where they talked about the caravan game? They all have really stupid names that you can put the word "anal" into.

In this thread we have an anal pageant.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
mik

Post by mik »

dinny_g wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:32 pm
I refused to mince-out and use one of them! One of the best part of caravaning is marvelling at the reversing skills of some, and pissing yourself at the lack of reversing skills of others. These electric mover things have ruined that. :evil: