Family holiday location in the UK?

Foz

Family holiday location in the UK?

Post by Foz »

Considering staying in the UK this year, Been looking at Devon/Cornwall.

Any other suggestions places anyone has visited that have been good?

Thanks
Marv

Re: Family holiday location in the UK?

Post by Marv »

Have you considered Scotland? It's really rather wonderful 😉

Coastal Suffolk is alright and it doesn't rain much.
Oui, je suis un motard.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Both are nice. We've thought about the same, but may discount them as it might get very busy/expensive if too many others have similar thoughts, so looking for less obvious locations.

Isle of Wight is nice, so is Wales. Scotland is full of amazing views (and possibly midges).
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mik

Post by mik »

Cotswolds are nice. *

* for Ingerland,
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Both great with plenty to do but as Alex says, expect them to be rammed in the school holiday periods. Can suggest some places in Cornwall tho.

Otherwise we've also loved Norfolk, Suffolk and Pembrokeshire. Much less to do in Pembs that's not walking and drinking tho. Like Cornwall but much quieter.
scotta

Post by scotta »

My kids love Blackpool.

Nef used to have a chalet in Dartmouth. Was bastard hot when we visited there. Nice place with plenty to do.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Devon and Cornwall are great, but I do have a soft spot for Suffolk. Wife and I did a long weekend in Southwold recently, which was great, and you've got all the nature reserves and stuff which (theoretically) should be interesting for the kids.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Aldeburgh is lovely, nearby Maltings enable sightseeing and drinking. I go to Salcombe every year, but Easter time only; it tends to get quite busy summer time. I read they were queuing on the mainland to queue on St. Michael’s Mount to get access to the house last August; a real shame as I had a great time there growing up.

The Wye valley is really pretty. If camping, I always stay at Doward’s Park, a campsite, as it’s quiet but close enough to walk to the river/pub. Otherwise, I’d recommend staying at Symond’s Yat.

Further inland, I’d recommend Broadway. I stay at the Lygon Arms and it’s convenient for sightseeing or just drinking around the village.
Cheers,

Ian
IanF
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

scotta wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:51 pm My kids love Blackpool.

Nef used to have a chalet in Dartmouth. Was bastard hot when we visited there. Nice place with plenty to do.
#jock 😛
Cheers,

Ian
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

IanF wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:36 pm Aldeburgh is lovely
Meh, everyone banged on about Aldeburgh, clearly the better known spot, but we did a day there and decided Southwold was superior by quite some margin.

Snape Maltings defo worth a visit though.
IanF
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

duncs500 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:42 pm
Meh, everyone banged on about Aldeburgh, clearly the better known spot, but we did a day there and decided Southwold was superior by quite some margin.

Fair enough, guess everyone else was wrong. 😁
Cheers,

Ian
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

IanF wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:47 pm
duncs500 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:42 pm

Fair enough, guess everyone else was wrong. 😁
:lol: When I say 'everyone' I mean the one or two people I talked to that visited the area.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:44 pm Both great with plenty to do but as Alex says, expect them to be rammed in the school holiday periods. Can suggest some places in Cornwall tho.

Otherwise we've also loved Norfolk, Suffolk and Pembrokeshire. Much less to do in Pembs that's not walking and drinking tho. Like Cornwall but much quieter.
Yes please as we're in Cornwall this summer hols.
+1 to Norfolk.
Left over crest; tightens.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

It’s a bloody long drive from Aberdeen to Devon or Cornwall, Foz!

The UK is full of great places but if you go to one of the better known holiday destinations (Salcombe, Padstow) they’ll be rammed in the summer holidays and you’ll pay through the nose for a house for the week.

What sort of holiday do you want? Devon and Cornwall are fairly pub/beach/water sports heavy. The sea won’t be particularly warm even in July or August but it may feel balmy to you 😄
evostick

Post by evostick »

Best ones that I've had in the UK have been in Cornwall and Pembrokeshire. Try and avoid the expensive, artificial, sterile tourist traps that Jobbo goes to such as Salcombe and Padstow. They were great years ago but now they're all full of cunts (like Jobbo) and staffed by foreigners.

Tenby is very nice for wales.

Porthleven is lovely in Cornwall. Not that much to do but beautiful and still a functioning place for locals to live and work so there's a decent atmosphere in pubs etc. Weather is more reliable than Wales by a long way. Pretty sure that you can fly down to Newquay from the barren North as well.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Why can't he just stay in his own country? Fuckers are always going on about how bloody wonderful it is yet none of the cunts seem to actually want to be there :lol:
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

North west coast of Wales has some stunning beaches, is closer to Scotland, and cheaper / quieter. Could be a good shout.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

We're going to the Pembrokeshire coast near St David's this year. The idea is it's like Cornwall, but less full of cunts* (unless the Welsh count) Good surfing too if you like that sort of thing.

*TM evostick
evostick

Post by evostick »

speedingfine wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:47 am We're going to the Pembrokeshire coast near St David's this year. The idea is it's like Cornwall, but less full of cunts* (unless the Welsh count) Good surfing too if you like that sort of thing.

*TM evostick
It will be less full of cunts. The problem is finding a decent meal. The pubs/restaurants are all rubbish unlike somewhere like Padstow which has a far better standard of everything really.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Foz wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:08 pm Considering staying in the UK this year, Been looking at Devon/Cornwall.

Any other suggestions places anyone has visited that have been good?

Thanks
With kids ? What are you looking for ?