Family holiday location in the UK?

dinny_g

Re: Family holiday location in the UK?

Post by dinny_g »

Robin Hood Bay and surrounding areas are lovely and a hell of a lot closer to Scotland.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jackleg

Post by Jackleg »

We stayed near Tenbury Wells in the Malvern's in May last year and it was fantastic - probably partly helped by the weather. All we did was walk the dog and eat, but that's all wanted to do.

If you don't fancy traveling the length of the country, why not stay a bit closer to you? I lived in Aberfeldy for a year, and found plenty to do around there (again, mostly eating and walking).

If you do come down to Devon/Cornwall, I've lived here the majority of my life, I can probably recommend places that wouldn't feature on a foreigners map.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

We’re heading to Pembrokeshire with some mates later in the year, but we have <2 yo kids so we’re after ease rather than load of exciting things to do.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:32 am North west coast of Wales has some stunning beaches, is closer to Scotland, and cheaper / quieter. Could be a good shout.
This would get my vote. Somewhere on the Llyn Peninsula like Abersoch. Loads of beaches, close to Snowdonia, and plenty of castles for when it inevitably rains. We go to Porthmadog a lot which gives you all of the above plus 2 steam railways and easy access to Portmeirion.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
tim

Post by tim »

duncs500 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:42 pm
IanF wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:36 pm Aldeburgh is lovely
Meh, everyone banged on about Aldeburgh, clearly the better known spot, but we did a day there and decided Southwold was superior by quite some margin.

Snape Maltings defo worth a visit though.
Aldeburgh is so new money.

You're all wrong. Cove Hithe for the beach, Southwold for the chips.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Yeah that part of North Wales has loads to do.

Don't forget ZipWorld / Bounce Underground. There are 3 now I believe but we went to the one in Blaenau Ffestiniog

Zip Lines, Underground Caverns, Uplift DH Mountain Biking etc...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

+1 for Pembrokeshire and Tenby, one or the nicest "summer"* holidays we've had.

Kids still talk about Caldy Island and the chocolate factory.

Was cool to drive the coast road and visit Pendine sands too.

North Norfolk coast is also beautiful but I prefer it in winter when I don't have to share it.

*It only rained half the time, which is apparently good.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

tim wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:52 am
duncs500 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:42 pm
IanF wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:36 pm Aldeburgh is lovely
Meh, everyone banged on about Aldeburgh, clearly the better known spot, but we did a day there and decided Southwold was superior by quite some margin.

Snape Maltings defo worth a visit though.
Aldeburgh is so new money.

You're all wrong. Cove Hithe for the beach, Southwold for the chips.
And the pier!
Foz

Post by Foz »

Some great comments :lol:

3 kids; 5, 9, 11, usual holiday stuff, some biking, swimming, just getting away to see another part of the UK.

The older 2 got taken by their Grandma to Cornwall a few years ago and they loved it and still talk about it to this day. Yeah i did the google maps and the distance was eye watering, when they did it they stopped over halfway.

I did actually look at North wales so thanks, we drive to Anglesey to go racing so that is absolutely drivable in a day!

Had multiple holidays in Scotland, over the west coast. Skye, Applecross, Inverness, Loch Lomond, and i woudl reccomend them to anyone.

Seen London/Brighton with work but other than flying visits not done the North of England/Wales really.

Air travel with kids is a hassle, particularly the wee one, certainly not doing long haul!

Will look further into wales, cheers!
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I'll be tapping you up for Scotchland advice in the near future Foz; me and a mate of mine who's moving back to the Northerns of Englandshire want to go tour your bit of land as apparently it's quite nice :lol:
Foz

Post by Foz »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:12 am I'll be tapping you up for Scotchland advice in the near future Foz; me and a mate of mine who's moving back to the Northerns of Englandshire want to go tour your bit of land as apparently it's quite nice :lol:
The west coast from GlasVegas right to the top is breathtaking, Applecross i would highly recommend, there is a nice campsite with cabins and nice static caravans and 2x brilliant restaurants, its definitely worth a few days, Skye is a bit too busy for my liking personally.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

evostick wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:29 am Best ones that I've had in the UK have been in Cornwall and Pembrokeshire. Try and avoid the expensive, artificial, sterile tourist traps that Jobbo goes to such as Salcombe and Padstow. They were great years ago but now they're all full of cunts (like Jobbo) and staffed by foreigners.

Tenby is very nice for wales.

Porthleven is lovely in Cornwall. Not that much to do but beautiful and still a functioning place for locals to live and work so there's a decent atmosphere in pubs etc. Weather is more reliable than Wales by a long way. Pretty sure that you can fly down to Newquay from the barren North as well.
Even I avoid going to those places in the holidays - they're horrible now. Salcombe is lovely when it's quiet. Haven't been to Padstow for years; my ex-wife liked it but I was never a fan.

I can't imagine flying down is a good idea; you'd be reliant on public transport when you arrive which would be crap.

There are loads of lovely places in the UK though. I'm a big fan of Southwold, and really liked Rye, and Whitby was nice (but just as busy as Padstow in August). North Berwick is also rather nice and much closer to Aberdeen for a holiday. But you'll want a car anywhere you do so you can explore the more hidden areas around where you're staying.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Newquay isnt all that bad really as a base anyway - stayed here just before xmas and it was great https://www.headlandhotel.co.uk/
Nice spa and pool altho they are building a new one in the carpark so make sure to avoid sea view rooms with the site in the way :lol: .

We are back in Crantock next month for a week in a caravan slumming it with the dog - theres lots of places with lodges these days or check out sykes cottages.

Lots to see and do down there but you will need a car. :D
Simon

Post by Simon »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:46 am
duncs500 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:32 am North west coast of Wales has some stunning beaches, is closer to Scotland, and cheaper / quieter. Could be a good shout.
This would get my vote. Somewhere on the Llyn Peninsula like Abersoch. Loads of beaches, close to Snowdonia, and plenty of castles for when it inevitably rains. We go to Porthmadog a lot which gives you all of the above plus 2 steam railways and easy access to Portmeirion.
Oooh, Porthmadog is nice. Went there a lot as a child, particularly because Dad and I were a big fan of steam.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Carlos wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:21 am
Foz wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:08 pm Considering staying in the UK this year, Been looking at Devon/Cornwall.

Any other suggestions places anyone has visited that have been good?

Thanks
With kids ? What are you looking for ?
This is a where are you going on holiday thread now, stop trying to answer the question 😉

Hopefully BBQ every night is the answer to shit pubs 😎
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

evostick wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:29 am Best ones that I've had in the UK have been in Cornwall and Pembrokeshire. Try and avoid the expensive, artificial, sterile tourist traps that Jobbo goes to such as Salcombe and Padstow. They were great years ago but now they're all full of cunts (like Jobbo) and staffed by foreigners.

Tenby is very nice for wales.

Porthleven is lovely in Cornwall. Not that much to do but beautiful and still a functioning place for locals to live and work so there's a decent atmosphere in pubs etc. Weather is more reliable than Wales by a long way. Pretty sure that you can fly down to Newquay from the barren North as well.
Porthleven is one of our favourites. Some great places to eat, a half decent pub at the Harbour. As Tim says, just a nice place to chill out. Has a bit of beach and you can walk through the nearby Penrose estate.

Mousehole is another firm favourite of ours for the same reasons albeit it's much more picture postcard. Perranuthnoe beach is our local one - not been in high summer but it's big and fairly unspoilt with more great walks around, a decent little eating place just off the beach and a great pub The Victoria.

Others are Gwithian, St. Mawes and Charlestown. Can also recommend Paradise Park in Hayle if you've got kids. There's enough space that kids don't get too annoying and the falconry show is one of the best I've seen.

Generally though, in our experience the southern coast feels a little less touristy. It still all goes mental in the summer tho. Locals just go on lockdown!

As for Pembs, we loved Newport. Stayed a couple of times at the Golden Lion. Great places to eat and some fantastic coastal walks around.
scotta

Post by scotta »

IanF wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:37 pm
scotta wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:51 pm My kids love Blackpool.

Nef used to have a chalet in Dartmouth. Was bastard hot when we visited there. Nice place with plenty to do.
#jock 😛
34 deg C...That quantifies bastard hot!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Aberdeen to Porthleven is nearly 700 miles, and Google Maps reckons 11hr 46m. That's a mission; and you pass Manchester, Birmingham and Bristol on the motorway for the full traffic jam experience.

I'd rather fly to Brittany and hire a car. While I like Devon and Cornwall, it's not nice enough to justify a journey time which would get you to Vegas. Not when you're dragging the kids with you, anyway.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It’s easy to forget how long the UK is, Zurich is closer to me than the nicer parts of Scotland.
How about not having a sig at all?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:46 am
Mmmm. Wilmslow by the sea. Will be full of cvnts