Grand Tour Series 3

ZedLeg

Re: Grand Tour Series 3

Post by ZedLeg »

Nathan wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:58 pm I still have my doubts about the Clarkson / Oisin Tymon 'fracas'

What a coincidence it managed to be front page news for so long and ended up with a £150m Amazon contract.
Yeah it's not like Jeremy had any history of acting like a cunt or any streaming company has thrown huge amounts of money around to secure high profile people :lol:.
An absolute unit
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

GG. wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:17 pm Choosing Argentina after they'd bought the three cars and noticed that the 928 had a potential pun in it is more plausible than finding a very rare 928 GT that just happened to have a numberplate that could be inflammatory to the country they'd already decided to visit.
So basically one of the options Simon already posted?
Real-life Females
GG.

Post by GG. »

:lol: I was referring to Simon's post and pointing out that the option I described was more likely than vice versa.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:22 pm
Nathan wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:58 pm I still have my doubts about the Clarkson / Oisin Tymon 'fracas'

What a coincidence it managed to be front page news for so long and ended up with a £150m Amazon contract.
Yeah it's not like Jeremy had any history of acting like a cunt or any streaming company has thrown huge amounts of money around to secure high profile people :lol:.
He never physically assaulted someone before to 'nearly' end his career
Real-life Females
Simon

Post by Simon »

FWIW I've heard the Porter interview on BBC (?) Radio about the Argentina fracas and what he said was perfectly plausible.

On the 'Hillary for President' etc comments on their cars through Texas etc, of course they wrote that to deliberately provoke them, but then I think even the production team had underestimated what their reactions, hence the 'audio only' segment and hastily wiping the cars down with Coca Cola.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Thus creating their template of going abroad to piss off the locals, enter the news cycle > free PR > top lads bantz
Real-life Females
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

If the TG/TGT crew were so clever at creating the Argentina and Alabama controversies, you'd think they'd have managed it more than twice in 17 years. Or the fact that they ended up in those situations could perhaps just be chance. Twice in 17 years... yes, almost certainly evidence of a deliberate intention to get a £150m contract with Amazon later. Definitely.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

There is only so much you can get away with before OFCOM intervenes.

I appreciate you know/knew RP but these aren't isolated incidents.

Real-life Females
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:36 pm If the TG/TGT crew were so clever at creating the Argentina and Alabama controversies, you'd think they'd have managed it more than twice in 17 years. Or the fact that they ended up in those situations could perhaps just be chance. Twice in 17 years... yes, almost certainly evidence of a deliberate intention to get a £150m contract with Amazon later. Definitely.
theres been loads of deliberately provocative stuff over the years - they’re desperate to get a raise out of the locals to get some column inches, whether it’s “slopes” on bridges or mumbling nursery rhymes with n*****r in them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_controversies
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

The two I mentioned were quite specific in that they feared for their lives. I'm not convinced OFCOM throw big rocks at you when someone complains.

Were they deliberately controversial? Of course. Was it some sort of intentional plan to further their careers and get a contract from Amazon? Did man ever reach the moon?
GG.

Post by GG. »

Jobbo wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:17 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:33 am IIRC the difference between a180deg V and a boxer is the way the pistons move.
You can have a flat-plane crank on a vee engine and it isn’t called something different. It’s a stupid distinction to make isn’t it; why not use the well-known term ‘flat’ which distinguishes it from both a boxer and a normal 60-degree V12?
I think the point about 180 degree V is that is distinguishes from flat inline engines. Not common in cars but apparently they are used industrially and in buses (ETA and bikes apparently - e.g. BMW K1200).
Last edited by GG. on Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

GG. wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:54 pm I think the point about 180 degree V is that is distinguishes from flat inline engines. Not common in cars but apparently they are used industrially and in buses.
Common in BMWs in 6-cyl format, just mounted vertically :lol:
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:53 pm The two I mentioned were quite specific in that they feared for their lives. I'm not convinced OFCOM throw big rocks at you when someone complains.

Were they deliberately controversial? Of course. Was it some sort of intentional plan to further their careers and get a contract from Amazon? Did man ever reach the moon?
i agree that Amazon pounced on the opportunity rather than any pre-planned agenda.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:53 pm The two I mentioned were quite specific in that they feared for their lives. I'm not convinced OFCOM throw big rocks at you when someone complains.

^ Not the Alabama / Falklands episodes.
Last edited by Nathan on Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Real-life Females
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Rich B wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:55 pm

i agree that Amazon pounced on the opportunity rather than any pre-planned agenda.
That or they were already in talks and needed to get out of contract

Real-life Females
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

PS. Flat earth
Real-life Females
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Best thread ever - I’m in partial agreement with Nathan and Jobbo!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

The contract which was already coming to an end?
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Part of me wonders if the fight ever happened but I've not going to rock this beautiful moment.
Real-life Females
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Clarkson once called my mate a Welsh ginger but to be fair he is Welsh and ginger and it made me laugh...