Grand Tour Series 3

Zonda_

Re: Grand Tour Series 3

Post by Zonda_ »

IanF wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:59 pm I thought they were just getting rid of the tent?
Looking at Clarksons reaction it doesn't look like it. :cry:
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I thought he was taking the piss at first but obviously not.
Cheers,

Mike.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Mauro Calo tweeted that he might need a new job after three years on TGT, so maybe it is just specials from now on. Damn..
Cheers,

Ian
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

But the specials are usually the better parts of the show?
How about not having a sig at all?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ascender wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:28 pm I thought he was taking the piss at first but obviously not.
Nope, that reaction was very genuine.

If it's just specials that will be sad. Specials are 'special', because they don't have time to make one for every week.

Also this weeks with the Ford 'story' was great, as was the 917 piece etc etc. If it is just specials from now on, then something will be lost.

It's an odd decision. I can understand why they didn't want to continue taking the tent around the world - that makes perfect sense - but I think over the 3 seasons they've refined GT to be great. Dropped the celebrity bit, a few specials, a few features, dropped 'The American' etc etc. What will they really save by dropping the tent section?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
GG.

Post by GG. »

Wow. Just finished watching the rest.

Can’t really believe it has been 17 years. The specials I’m sure will be good and I’m glad they haven’t just pulled the plug entirely but you can tell from how emotional Jeremy got that this was the end of the format as we knew it.

Very much echo other comments that they’d got into a sweet spot this season and the montage showing some of the early GT clips highlights how much it’s improved.

Must say that 17 years took me from being a teenager to now so sad as it sounds the three old gits have made their impression.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

It's sad because this season is the best (TGT) one yet, they've finally nailed the format and even Hammond is less annoying. Them doing specials is better than nothing I guess.
M235i
tim

Post by tim »

I'm hoping it will be a mix of specials and documentary style films.
GG.

Post by GG. »

The truism of the Ford film (ie how ubiquitous they are yet great at the same time) is actually pretty remarkable.

For all I grew up with a car nut dad that ferried us around in Range Rovers and 928s, he really cut his teeth on Capris, my grandad had an early Cortina and my first two cars (that I drove if not owned) were early Focuses and we absolutely loved all of them.

I know none of ours (other than the cortina) were really the 3 box saloon cars they’re mourning the passing of, but that montage of people with photos of themselves in fords as kids was pretty touching. I just can’t imagine anyone will give a fuck in the future about leased electric shitboxes that people upgrade on contract like iPhones.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Well said GG.

The other thing about the 'death' of the Mondeo is that the continual push for cars to get bigger has resulted in the Focus being a decent size now for a family. We have the Mondeo still for the O/H in addition to my C Class, but it's really far bigger than she needs. We'll likely downsize it to an Astra/Focus/Golf in time.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Oh, one last thing. I think apart from all that's been said, the real nail in the coffin for a lot of people (including my family) has been the fucking awful 'couldn't give a shit' dealers. In none of our collective home locations over the years have we managed to find a Ford dealer who treated us with anything but indifference. And yet many claim that Merc dealers are bad, but every single encounter I've had with them in those same locations has been great.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I wasn’t aware that the Mondeo was getting dropped, but looking online now it seems it was just a rumour and another bit of dated news that TGT have fallen victim too? No doubt even if the Mondeo name got dropped Ford would simply bring out another large family car to replace it.
How about not having a sig at all?
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

It was announced a while back that the tent was being dropped and they would only be doing road trip speicals to match the concept of ' The Grand Tour '.
Real-life Females
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

People on the Internet seem to be very upset that they smashed up an Allegro 3 estate. They don’t seem to realise that they were utterly, utterly shit when new and they haven’t got any better with time.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
scotta

Post by scotta »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:03 am I wasn’t aware that the Mondeo was getting dropped, but looking online now it seems it was just a rumour and another bit of dated news that TGT have fallen victim too? No doubt even if the Mondeo name got dropped Ford would simply bring out another large family car to replace it.
They have the focus. It’s now almost as long and wider than an original Mondeo.

My mate had a Focus estate. His lease ended on it last year. Being a Ford man (only ever had fords) he wanted to go for a mondeo as a replacement. The price they were quoting to lease a mondeo was huge due to the residual values being useless. In the end he got a Volvo V90 D4 R-Design for less than a replacement focus or a mondeo. There’s the death knell for the mondeo.
Last edited by scotta on Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scotta

Post by scotta »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:18 pm People on the Internet seem to be very upset that they smashed up an Allegro 3 estate. They don’t seem to realise that they were utterly, utterly shit when new and they haven’t got any better with time.
The particular car they had looked like a rusty chicken shed as well.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

scotta wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:36 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:18 pm People on the Internet seem to be very upset that they smashed up an Allegro 3 estate. They don’t seem to realise that they were utterly, utterly shit when new and they haven’t got any better with time.
The particular car they had looked like a rusty chicken shed as well.
I thought so but the Internet says “mint” and “had an mot” and “only 46,000 miles”. Shame they didn’t set the fucking thing on fire.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I loved all the photos of people with their old, and in some cases still current, Fords.

Nice sideways Sierra too.

Shame to see the format going as I enjoyed the chat in the studio/tent.
Left over crest; tightens.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

No complaints about them smashing up a Toyota Picnic though? I thought it was mildly amusing that both the cars they smashed up had similarly awful rear pillars.

I was more concerned about the broken glass etc on the driveway. Surprised the Allegro wasn't nicked before they filmed though, since that's Nathan's manor.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Holly Thread Resurrection Batman.

Just finally gotten around to watching the final episode, and had completely forgotten what you all had said in this thread, so that was a surprise until I twigged.

Had something in my eye after a few moments :oops:

I look forward to the specials.