Disabled or Family Spaces

scotta

Re: Disabled or Family Spaces

Post by scotta »

if ive got the kids i use the parent and child spaces if not i park in the normal spaces - at an end space preferably parked as close to the kerb as i can. I never use the disabled unless i have the mother in law in the car who has a blue badge.

This is the correct answer without exception. I have pulled people up for using the P&C spaces minus kids.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Parent and child spaces are only needed because of the silly way people park.

I don’t park next to cars with child seats in when using regular spaces as car park spaces are just too small now.

I’ve had to pop my kids in the boot, drive up the car park 20 metres and then put them
In properly as I could only just squeeze in with a coat on my door so I didn’t ding the inconsiderate twits who blocked me in.

It’s a massive benefit and I think we need more of them.

I don’t agree with needing them right by the entrance though, our big Tesco’s has lots of safe paths to walk to the store from the car park and I’d rather see more P+C spaces further away than less right by the door.

I’ve never used one without the kids and I happily expla N to my boys how that person is lazy and selfish when I see a childless car being used in a child space.

I see lots of grandparents do this as lots seem to have child seats permanently fixed in.

Dave!
scotta

Post by scotta »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:11 am Parent and child spaces are only needed because of the silly way people park.

I don’t park next to cars with child seats in when using regular spaces as car park spaces are just too small now.

I’ve had to pop my kids in the boot, drive up the car park 20 metres and then put them
In properly as I could only just squeeze in with a coat on my door so I didn’t ding the inconsiderate twits who blocked me in.

It’s a massive benefit and I think we need more of them.

I don’t agree with needing them right by the entrance though, our big Tesco’s has lots of safe paths to walk to the store from the car park and I’d rather see more P+C spaces further away than less right by the door.

I’ve never used one without the kids and I happily expla N to my boys how that person is lazy and selfish when I see a childless car being used in a child space.

I see lots of grandparents do this as lots seem to have child seats permanently fixed in.

Dave!
This absolutely. Id be happy if they put them at the far end of the car park. Its the extra space thats needed not close proximity to the store.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:30 am As do I but Motorway only - never in 30/40 /50 or 60 zones.

And never more than 79mph
“SPEEDING IS WRONG. Which is why I only do it on the motorway”

As for parking, late night shopping, deserted car park and it’s cold/raining - absolutely I’ll use the P&C spaces. I wouldn’t use the disabled spaces in that situation, just seems wrong even if it’s unlikely I’d be depriving someone of one.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:26 am Clearly nobody else has been involved in laying out an industrial estate where every unit is drawn with 3 disabled spaces and one normal space outside - for the simple reason that the planning authority will not allow more than 4 parking spaces per unit. The owner of the building can then fit 7 employees' vehicles there.

Any hand-wringing at this terrible outrage?
<waves hand> I have, I have!

I don't know on what basis the Authorities set standards, but they can seem a little onerous at times. What you describe rarely happens IME, but each Authority clearly varies as to how they apply their Disabled %age vs a minimum.

Pretty much agree with Duncs, Rich and Rev on this. And Dave! I'd welcome more P&C and don't mind where it is, even if it's more of a walk.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

They should just do Costco style parking at all supermarkets. Essentially every space is wide enough for disabled people or those with kids. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a large 24 hour supermarket crammed full so they have the space to do it.
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

JonMad wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:48 am Send me your wrath. I parked in a disabled space in my local Tesco to use the cash point. There were two free disabled spaces next to it. The cash point was next to the disabled space, and there was no queue, so I was parked there about 45s max. The kids were in the back of the car so I didn't occupy another space (regular, or P&C) and they could sit safely in the car with my eye on them.
When I had my Civic Type R (so at least 15 years ago) I nipped to the cashpoint on the front of Sainsbury's in St Albans with my then-stepsons in the car. The shop was closed and there were three empty disabled spaces directly in front of the cashpoints.
So I stopped in one, and said to them, "Look disabled".

It was really hard not to laugh when I came back to the car and they were gurning and licking the windows. :oops:
Last edited by Jobbo on Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:07 pm It was really hard not to laugh when I came back to the car and they were gurning and licking the windows. :oops:
Sounds like your average Civic occupants ;)

Sorry Barry. :lol:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:07 pm "Look, disabled".
I unintentionally added a mental comma in this statement and it made no sense to me. :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
GG.

Post by GG. »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:34 pm
I unintentionally added a mental comma in this statement and it made no sense to me. :lol:
I did this too - think its the way it broke across the lines. Thought he was referring to the cashpoint being out of order for a second. :lol:
ste

Post by ste »

Rich B wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:47 am For those without kids you’d be surprised how useful those wide child spaces are, it just removes a massive worry about holding doors away from other people’s cars whilst trying to lift kids/pushchairs/loads of other crap that you need out of the car whilst still trying to give 100% attention to the kid whilst you’re in a dangerous car park. these spaces are as much for the rest of us to not get parking dings as they are for the parents.

With disabled too, even when it’s quiet and there’s loads of spaces, it doesn’t mean that 5 people who need those 5 spaces aren’t going to turn up at the same time.
100% this.

My youngest is 7 now, so still in a carseat, but really capable of getting herself in and out of the car on her own easily. In some carparks if I turn up with the 3 kids I may still use the kids spaces. 1 in particular essentially, in Brighton where all of the other spaces are so fucking tiny that you can hardly fit a normal car in to them. Yet the parent child spaces are actually 2 of these spaces, and there's a whole row of about 20 of them that never fill up. Being honest, I use one of these selfishly so that the car doesn't get dented. Once she's out of her child seat / there isn't one in the car I won't park in them any more as the tiny justification I give myself now will be gone.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:34 pm
I've fixed it by putting in a grammatically incorrect line break.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

This all reminds me, I once parked in the first standard space on the end of a row of P&C ones, all of which were full. A professional Mum started having a go at me not realising I was in a normal space, she was fucking furious, jabbing her finger at me etc. I pointed out that I wasn’t in one of her prized P&C spaces but this made no difference whatsoever.

I didn’t get a ‘sorry’.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Going up to somebody who shouldn't be parked in a parent & child or disabled space and remonstrating with them is much, much worse than actually parking in such a space.
ste

Post by ste »

Why is it?

By which I mean, it isn't.
ste

Post by ste »

240PP wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:48 pm This all reminds me, I once parked in the first standard space on the end of a row of P&C ones, all of which were full. A professional Mum started having a go at me not realising I was in a normal space, she was fucking furious, jabbing her finger at me etc. I pointed out that I wasn’t in one of her prized P&C spaces but this made no difference whatsoever.

I didn’t get a ‘sorry’.
I had a few times where I got at least a disaproving shake of the head up to a full on shouting post-natal woman due to me parking in P&C spaces. Always due to 'innapropriate' car. i.e parking caged MX5 / Elise / Caterham in one and getting disapproved of because the incorrect assumption is that there isn't a child with you.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:07 pm gurning and licking the windows

scotta

Post by scotta »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:50 pm Going up to somebody who shouldn't be parked in a parent & child or disabled space and remonstrating with them is much, much worse than actually parking in such a space.
Jobbo is Incorrect.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

ste wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:54 pm Why is it?

Muttering under your breath is the British way. Being argumentative about it is the PH way.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:23 pm
ste wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:54 pm Why is it?

Muttering under your breath is the British way. Being argumentative about it is the PH way.
Or being followed home or pushed off your bike on the hard shoulder. In fact both incidents involved pushing didn't they. Pushing or being pushed -the evo way.