Disabled or Family Spaces

Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Disabled or Family Spaces

Post by Matty »

Anyone ever park in disabled parking spaces, or family spaces when they've got no kids with them?

For example, it's 7:45, the store closes at 8pm, the place is empty - is it OK to park in a disabled space? If that's acceptable, what about if it's the middle of the afternoon, and the carpark is almost empty?

Just interested, to settle an arguement about what time of day and level of busy-ness determines the morality of abusing the carpark system.
nuttinnew

Re: Disabled or Family Spaces

Post by nuttinnew »

It's never acceptable.
mik

Post by mik »

I have used family spaces at 23:00 when visiting a 24hr shop.

I dont use disabled spaces at any time, as disabled people move around at night.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I’d use family late at night and not the last bay, but never had to. I’d never parked in disabled bay (until I need one anyway)
Cheers,

Ian
_andy

Post by _andy »

Family spaces are fair game, it's some made up BS and most kids look like they need the extra exercise. Disabled spaces however are VERBOTEN.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I've used disabled spaces when the shop is shit and I'm popping to the cash machine.

I wouldn't use them, nor parent and child spaces without a child when the shop was open.
Cheers, Harry
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

15 mins to go it's hardly going to be swarming with new customers so at that time of night either is doable but not the closest to the entrance Just in case like
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Not worth the faff when you get back to your car and see some child warrior has keyed it.
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I stick to the rules on spaces regardless of the time - if it’s late night and quiet, then chances are there’ll be a normal space pretty close too.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Rich B wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:47 am I stick to the rules on spaces regardless of the time - if it’s late night and quiet, then chances are there’ll be a normal space pretty close too.
This.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Anyone who parks in a disabled space but isn’t disabled or has a disabled passenger should be shot in the stomach.

Anyone who parks in the parent and child spaces without kids deserves 1000 dings in their doors.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

(What Rev said) * 0.6
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:55 am Anyone who parks in a disabled space but isn’t disabled or has a disabled passenger should be shot in the stomach.

Anyone who parks in the parent and child spaces without kids deserves 1000 dings in their doors.
All of that. Amazed how anyone can even consider using these spaces, frankly. Especially the disabled ones - that's abhorrent. If you're one of these people, have a fucking word with yourself.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

For those without kids you’d be surprised how useful those wide child spaces are, it just removes a massive worry about holding doors away from other people’s cars whilst trying to lift kids/pushchairs/loads of other crap that you need out of the car whilst still trying to give 100% attention to the kid whilst you’re in a dangerous car park. these spaces are as much for the rest of us to not get parking dings as they are for the parents.

With disabled too, even when it’s quiet and there’s loads of spaces, it doesn’t mean that 5 people who need those 5 spaces aren’t going to turn up at the same time.

For some reason that Reminds me of a mate who at a football match went to the toilet. All the urinals were full and there were 2 guys pissing in the sinks too. He went for the 1 remaining sink, then apparently all the others finished and left at exactly the same time leaving him on his own pissing in a sink in a empty toilets...
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I will sometimes park in disabled spaces. Often they’re present just to satisfy the planners, not because they’re likely to be used by people with blue badges. So if I’m visiting an office on a business park and there are no other spaces I’m not going to feel guilty about it.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

It's all about context this question. If a small car park then there's no need ever. If it's like late and a last minute rush for bread then I don't see the massive problem if a massive supermarket.

Personally I abandon the car at the end of two lanes on the hatching if just nipping in. Aren't upsetting anyone then 😎
mik

Post by mik »

Get your gun Rev!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I also deliberately park in the disabled spaces outside KFC. Actual disabled people will use the drive-thru.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I don't go near the disabled bays, and usually respect P+C bays. P+C bays serve two purposes - As Rich says it helps the parent get their child in and out the car, and it also protects the rest of us from door dings from those parents who struggle. Win-win!

What I don't like though are those people who see 'child' as their 16 year old kids who don't need any special space to get in or out the car. They should really be named Parent and pre-school or something.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Or perhaps people could just use the spaces as intended and have some basic accountability for the way they conduct themselves rather than always looking for the easiest, most selfish option.

May as well wish for a fucking unicorn.