2018 - A Year In Review & Plans for 2019

ZedLeg

Re: 2018 - A Year In Review & Plans for 2019

Post by ZedLeg »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:44 pm
Jobbo wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:30 pm I take tablets every day for my gout. I'd rather not do so, but I accept that they work. So I appreciate that it sounds like a hypocritical question, but it's a well-meant one. Do they change your personality in some way?
Not that I've noticed so far but my dose is still increasing. I've tried SSRIs before and they made me feel awful, not like myself at all. The meds I'm on just have a subtle effect where I just feel "normal".
That's always the goal with mental health medication. My missus is on quite a high dose of anti depressants with all the bad sides that can bring but she's functional while she takes them and isn't when she doesn't, so it's the best you can hope for just now.
An absolute unit
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Pills - probably not the best answer to everything. Look at statins for example.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

They're not a perfect answer but almost certainly better than killing yourself.
An absolute unit
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Anyway this is a jolly thread :)

We were meant to go to Sri Lanka for the cricket in oct/nov but I was too busy and as it turned out its quite rainy there at that time of year. Maybe going in March so any tips JL send em my way. :)
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:01 pm They're not a perfect answer but almost certainly better than killing yourself.
True but one size doesnt fit all - some people can change their lifestyles to cope with problems.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Some pills work for some people/situations, some don’t. It’s not rocket science.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Rich B wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:08 pm Some pills work for some people/situations, some don’t. It’s not rocket science.
I'm fortunate that my current dr is of the mind pills are a last resort and there for a temporary solution when needed. If you look at diabetes type 2 as an example they put you on a dose, you take them, change your diet and they cause yourself hypos by doing what is required. Only when you point out these tablets aren't so amazing do they take you off them.

I'm positive lots of peoples issues come from lack of activity and staring at a screen all day. :D
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Broccers on insta earlier

An absolute unit
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Whereas the correct pills turned my wife from a wreck who was terrified she’d hurt herself or our baby into a happy and confident mother who enjoys life when she was suffering from postnatal depression.

No sitting around or screen staring involved.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

There's a big difference between meds for ADHD and hose for depression. I can choose on a daily basis to take my pill or not. If I take it, it works for 12 hours or so and I'm good. If I don't, I'm just me. It's not like I have to build up and they take weeks to work and if you want to stop you have to come off them slowly. Snort a fingernail of coke and you'll get roughly the same experience :lol:

SSRIs work, but not for everyone. Statins work, but some people suffer with massive side effects. Different pills work in different ways, as do the illnesses they treat. You can't really generalise them.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:32 pm Statins work, but some people suffer with massive side effects.
They don't actually work tho - this is / was my point. As for mental issues - no experience of those types of meds so can't comment.
If you are bored watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAoTwfx1Sic
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Broccers wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:53 pm As for mental issues - no experience of those types of meds so can't comment.
But you felt the need to come into a conversation about mental health to comment anyway.
An absolute unit
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Broccers wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:53 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:32 pm Statins work, but some people suffer with massive side effects.
They don't actually work tho - this is / was my point. As for mental issues - no experience of those types of meds so can't comment.
Depends on what you mean by work. They demonstrably lower cholesterol, that is inarguable fact.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:58 pm
Broccers wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:53 pm As for mental issues - no experience of those types of meds so can't comment.
But you felt the need to come into a conversation about mental health to comment anyway.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Metformin made me depressed altho its for diabetes - not had any directly related tablets given to me - is that ok fella? :D
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:02 pm
Depends on what you mean by work. They demonstrably lower cholesterol, that is inarguable fact.
Watch the video.

Anyway I'll leave you all to feel sad ..... :D :D
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Broccers wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:03 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:02 pm

Watch the video.

Anyway I'll leave you all to feel sad ..... :D :D
If the video says that statins don't lower blood cholesterol, then it's wrong and against every medical study, in which case, 'm not going to waste my time watching it. The controversy around statins is whether lowering cholesterol is beneficial, not whether they lower cholesterol.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Foz

Post by Foz »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:11 am
Foz wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:43 pm Our youngest (5) has been diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder ... just means we can’t go on holiday abroad etc and I feel bad for his big brother and sister.
Hi Foz,

If it's not prying too much, can I ask why ?

My nephew (in Sydney) has recently been diagnosed with similar (at 3) and the family were planning a trip home to a family wedding this year. I know absolutely nothing about this but as a family we're learning (along with his Dwarfism)
Imagine the most boisterous 5 year old you have ever met, then times that by 2, and then imagine that in the confines of an Aeroplane, and also upsetting a routine- these disorders get way worse when routine is disturbed strangely, he loves his house, his comforts etc.

Even car journeys can be incredible stressful, its not that we cant, we have made the decision that right now we wont due to the stress, the thought of him having a tantrum/meltdown on a plane doesn't bare thinking about sadly.

He's an absolute darling, but he has no filter, impulsiveness of which is hard to describe (running across busy roads etc), its almost like an animal, instinct cuts in and go, he's off. everything has to get dumbed down to his level, the tv, youtube, games etc so when at home it easier to control, medication will be an option from when hes 6 but we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

This is a small video the class are going to show the other children to help them understand why he' s different.

dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

OK Foz, I understand...

My nephew is generally fine with the travelling sort of thing. To meet him, he displays almost none of the "typical" behaviours we associate with Autism. He's very affectionate, very engaging with everybody, strangers alike, and not showing any external reaction to his Dwarfism - he's even started to develop his own sense of humour toward it. He can be loud but no more than any other child his age.

However, when it comes to "typical", I don't need to tell you that Autism isn't wide ranging condition and its impacts can take many forms.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

So, 2019 and Broccers is still a knob! 😂
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

He seems to have filled the void left by Mick after his flounce. NuNewey.