2018 - A Year In Review & Plans for 2019

Mito Man

Re: 2018 - A Year In Review & Plans for 2019

Post by Mito Man »

Once again thank you all. I’m actually in pretty good health now, probably the best I’ve been in the past 2 years, just need to hope that everything stays under control this time. I guess I’m really introvert and keep to myself so I never discussed this with my own family either - I have an odd way of thinking where if I know I won’t get an answer I won’t bother asking or even discussing an issue if that makes any sense.
How about not having a sig at all?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:06 am Once again thank you all. I’m actually in pretty good health now, probably the best I’ve been in the past 2 years, just need to hope that everything stays under control this time. I guess I’m really introvert and keep to myself so I never discussed this with my own family either - I have an odd way of thinking where if I know I won’t get an answer I won’t bother asking or even discussing an issue if that makes any sense.
Were you working at all for any of this? I seem to remember you saying you were in a practice somewhere or something...?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
unzippy

Re: 2018 - A Year In Review

Post by unzippy »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:12 amSome stuff
Serious question - how long does it take you pack a suitcase for holiday?
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
NotoriousREV

Re: 2018 - A Year In Review

Post by NotoriousREV »

unzippy wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:03 am
NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:12 amSome stuff
Serious question - how long does it take you pack a suitcase for holiday?
I rarely pack, I usually leave it to the wife, but when I do I do it at the last moment in about 5 minutes flat. I’ll almost certainly forget loads of things.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Is it last minute due to the procrastination?
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

I really can't moan about 2018. In retrospect, it will maybe be remembered as the year when it all started to come together:
- The property count reached double figures with a nice little project in February (mean flat, but great yield, and came with a free garage :-)). Critical mass has really helped calm my anxiety over the true long-term sustainability of my "retirement". Experience gained has also allowed me to start doing contract jobs too, which are fun, easy and give a nice bit of pocket money.
- The racing podiums started to come. Who'd've thought that it might be tricky for a couple of 30-something blokes with no experience to turn up and beat pro teams in factory-supported cars? Well, now five years in, and unlikely as it may seem, it's starting to happen.
- I finally made some proper progress with the climbing. After a couple of years stuck around the 6b level, I decided that a bigger effort was required. Helped by the best partner I've ever had, by July I was touching 7a level, which really opens up lots of exciting outdoor opportunities. Unfortunately, a couple of injuries later in the year saw things slide a bit, but even that's got a silver lining, as it's got me into pilates and a far better understanding of how my body actually works (including why MMA fighting isn't the sport for me ;-)).
- My friend got better. I've watched my good friend Barry (ex-racing team manager who I share garage space with) deteriorate in his health quite significantly over the last couple of years. Twice I've seen him taken away in ambulances with suspected heart attacks, and seen him spend long periods too tired to even make it out of his own flat - but the quacks just couldn't get to the bottom of it. In December this year, some bright spark took another look at his ECGs and realised it was an electrical problem. He had a pacemaker fitted (under local, in a morning), and was at a gym class three days later.

Plans for 2019:
Well, I'm just going to take it as it comes. Opportunities for fun and productive shit seem to be flowing quite readily at the moment. Cars, boats, and hovercraft will all undoubtedly feature and I've every intention of getting back to where I was on the climbing wall once I shake a niggling elbow issue. Will definitely do some more contract building work. I've had some interest from the hovercraft company to develop a turbocharged version of their standard engine, which would be entertaining for a few weeks if it comes off. Who knows, but bring it on ;-)
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

unzippy wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:24 am Is it last minute due to the procrastination?
Procrastination and the time blindness thing. I describe the procrastination part as: I can't/won't start a task unless there is an immediate and real payoff or consequence.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:57 am
unzippy wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:24 am Is it last minute due to the procrastination?
Procrastination and the time blindness thing. I describe the procrastination part as: I can't/won't start a task unless there is an immediate and real payoff or consequence.
is that not normal?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Rich B wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:59 am
is that not normal?
Most people could look through the list of ADHD symptoms and recognise them as things they've done themselves. You hear "Oh, I do that!" a lot when you talk to people about it. I think I said earlier: everyone procrastinates to a degree, but for most people they understand why they procrastinate. Either it's a big or difficult task, or it's boring and they don't want to do it. For ADHD people, it's for all tasks, nearly all the time, even the stuff we really want to do, even fun stuff. The symptoms become a problem when they become an impairment to your life and you still can't do anything about it. If you read guides on how to stop procrastinating, the advice is always "just start doing it". For neurotypical folk, this is possibly good advice. For those with ADHD, it's the same as telling someone with 2 broken legs to walk it off.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Foz wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:43 pm Our youngest (5) has been diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder ... just means we can’t go on holiday abroad etc and I feel bad for his big brother and sister.
Hi Foz,

If it's not prying too much, can I ask why ?

My nephew (in Sydney) has recently been diagnosed with similar (at 3) and the family were planning a trip home to a family wedding this year. I know absolutely nothing about this but as a family we're learning (along with his Dwarfism)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:11 am
Rich B wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:59 am

is that not normal?
Most people could look through the list of ADHD symptoms and recognise them as things they've done themselves. You hear "Oh, I do that!" a lot when you talk to people about it. I think I said earlier: everyone procrastinates to a degree, but for most people they understand why they procrastinate. Either it's a big or difficult task, or it's boring and they don't want to do it. For ADHD people, it's for all tasks, nearly all the time, even the stuff we really want to do, even fun stuff. The symptoms become a problem when they become an impairment to your life and you still can't do anything about it. If you read guides on how to stop procrastinating, the advice is always "just start doing it". For neurotypical folk, this is possibly good advice. For those with ADHD, it's the same as telling someone with 2 broken legs to walk it off.
I've started to wonder about this myself tbh. My nephew has Asperger's and ADHD and my sister mentioned that a lot of the stuff that he does reminds her of me when I was a kid (obsessive behaviours, temper problems, struggling to pay attention in school).

I've built a lot of my life as an adult around being able to do any task I need to do quickly because I will procrastinate over the simplest thing until the very last second. I still see myself doing things in ways that even I accept are weird because I've sat doing literally nothing (honestly, I've lost hours just staring into space while my mind wanders) while putting it off. I said I would go to the doctor to ask about it but I've even been putting that off for months now.
An absolute unit
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

ZedLeg wrote:
I've started to wonder about this myself tbh. My nephew has Asperger's and ADHD and my sister mentioned that a lot of the stuff that he does reminds her of me when I was a kid (obsessive behaviours, temper problems, struggling to pay attention in school).
Sounds familiar.

These are some basic guidelines as to whether it’s worth investigating:
Do you:

Easily get distracted by extraneous stimuli or irrelevant thoughts?
Make decisions impulsively?
Have difficulty stopping activities or behavior when you should do so?
Start a project or task without reading or listening to directions carefully?
Fail to follow through on promises or commitments you make to others?
Have trouble doing things in their proper order or sequence?
Drive much faster than others—or, if you don’t drive, have difficulty engaging in leisure activities or doing fun things quietly?
Have difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or recreational activities?
Have difficulty organizing tasks and activities?

Did you check off four of the first seven symptoms on this list, or six of all nine symptoms?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Does being diagnosed as something make any real difference? I wouldn't be particularly keen to take meds every day to control my ADHD, for instance. Surely diagnosis should be aimed at the person accepting themself for who they are? Why try to be something you're not - you'll just make life less comfortable.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:18 pm Does being diagnosed as something make any real difference? I wouldn't be particularly keen to take meds every day to control my ADHD, for instance. Surely diagnosis should be aimed at the person accepting themself for who they are? Why try to be something you're not - you'll just make life less comfortable.
The meds work and the side affects are minor (almost non-existent for most people). Why wouldn't you take them? Would you encourage a diabetic to accept themselves for who they were and not bother with insulin?

I'm happier, more focused, not depressed, not anxious on meds. Most of that is about dopamine levels and nothing to do with accepting myself or not.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
GG.

Post by GG. »

I think Jobbo is likely right for a number of cases.

I would also think I fulfill a number of the criteria listed above, however, many look at first blush to be normal behaviours a lot of people possess which become clinical in extremis and need treatment if they disrupt your life significantly.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I take tablets every day for my gout. I'd rather not do so, but I accept that they work. So I appreciate that it sounds like a hypocritical question, but it's a well-meant one. Do they change your personality in some way?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:30 pm I take tablets every day for my gout. I'd rather not do so, but I accept that they work. So I appreciate that it sounds like a hypocritical question, but it's a well-meant one. Do they change your personality in some way?
Not that I've noticed so far but my dose is still increasing. I've tried SSRIs before and they made me feel awful, not like myself at all. The meds I'm on just have a subtle effect where I just feel "normal".
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

GG. wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:29 pm I think Jobbo is likely right for a number of cases.

I would also think I fulfill a number of the criteria listed above, however, many look at first blush to be normal behaviours a lot of people possess which become clinical in extremis and need treatment if they disrupt your life significantly.
Exactly this. Everyone gets paranoid from time to time, but not everyone is a paranoid schizophrenic ;)
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Good. So long as you don't lose the essential essence of Dave. I don't know much about this sort of thing, hence asking the question.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:51 pm Good. So long as you don't lose the essential essence of Dave. I don't know much about this sort of thing, hence asking the question.
Don't worry, I wasn't offended ;)

There's definitely an element of worrying that most of my personality traits are ADHD symptoms, but I'm fine with that now. It's been fascinating learning all about it, if I'm honest. I'll come across something and the penny will drop on why I do certain things. ADHD support groups are basically full of people asking if anyone else does X and everyone else going "fucking hell, I thought it was just me"
Middle-aged Dirtbag