FTAO People who travel a lot with work.

JLv3.0

Re: FTAO People who travel a lot with work.

Post by JLv3.0 »

You might need to flag up your jokes a little more clearly :)
Richard

Post by Richard »

The best ones...

(Im using the phrase “the best jokes are the ones that need explaining” to suggest that my jokes aren’t funny. I’m doing this to poke fun at myself)
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

See? All nice and clear now 8-)
Richard

Post by Richard »

Back in topic - i’d be careful to make sure that I wasn’t “working” more hours than usual when including the travel time, unless there was a pay increase to make up for it

Getting up at unreasonable hours and then getting home later than usual all adds up over time. Quite quickly you could be reducing your effective “hourly rate” over the course of a week/month by a reasonable percentage.

For work we all swap our time, for money. You should count that time from the moment you leave the house to the moment you get back

Like others were saying, it might seem exciting etc at first, but dont forget, it’s all work
Simon

Post by Simon »

Good point.

I'm off to Vegas for a few days in January with work. I'll be travelling on Monday, in conference for 3 full days Tuesday to Thursday, then then catching an overnight flight home on Thursday evening.

My boss suggested that I may want to carry over some holiday from this year and take the Friday off. I gently reminded him that I would've been away from home and family all week, and with the time difference would not be landing in the UK again till Friday lunchtime anyway. I also find it near impossible to sleep on planes. So I then said I wouldn't even be opening the laptop on arrival home, but heading straight for bed.

"Ah yes, good point" he realised :)
The artist formerly known as _Who_
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:54 am

How long it takes you to get to this state is variable - it took me about three years. Oh and it makes travelling for pleasure into a pile of shit as well, as you'll be so fed up with airports, hotels and taxis that your mind will be unable to separate the two.

This is a good observation, I'd never made the link before, even though now it seems blindingly obvious.

I now much prefer travelling with the family on holiday by car and ferry as when I'm at the airport/on a flight it reminds me of work and I just try and get through it as quick as possible. The family (who haven't endured everything that I have) want to generally mill around and enjoy it. It invariably creates friction and sours the experience.

I think it's because I can see the ferry/car travel as holiday (even though I'm driving) and I'm able to relax a bit, where I just want a flight, airport and transfer to end.

Carl.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

LOTS of good stuff guys ta very much :)

I'm aware it's going to be a bit hard sleep wise, but having a 2 year old means 4 hours sleep at any time of the day is a bonus right now so I'll probably get more rest than I already do!

I believe flights over a certain distance are business and short haul is economy, not too fussed about either, we will go out as a pair on business as well and I get on really well with the other guys so at least I won't be bored/lonely if we're away all week.

Looking forward to it a lot still!
mik

Post by mik »

Regardless of whether you have been able to sleep on planes before - you will soon find it aesy.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Richard wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:59 pm
JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:00 am I still want that "Try again" post explained to me.
Try reading the price again, they aren’t £329.00 as you posted,Unzippy, but actually £329.99.
I copied amd pasted, it is what is, direct from your url.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

If the spa at the hotel gives you a choice of local or Thai ladies, then it’s essentially a den of disrepute.

Do not think posh hotel means a lack of this.

Dave!
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

mik wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:39 pm Regardless of whether you have been able to sleep on planes before - you will soon find it aesy.
Disagree.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:08 am
mik wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:39 pm Regardless of whether you have been able to sleep on planes before - you will soon find it aesy.
Disagree.
A millionty percent agree.

Even if I do sleep for an hour I feel even worse afterwards.

So take control of your flights if possible, do decent layovers so you aren’t rushing etc.

I can’t remember if I mentioned it before but always be nice at check-in, the same people dish out the upgrades if they are available.

I couldn’t imagine doing a 9-5 anymore, for its many flaws you do get to do a lot of very cool stuff.

Dave!
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Simon wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:24 pm Good point.

I'm off to Vegas for a few days in January with work. I'll be travelling on Monday, in conference for 3 full days Tuesday to Thursday, then then catching an overnight flight home on Thursday evening.

My boss suggested that I may want to carry over some holiday from this year and take the Friday off. I gently reminded him that I would've been away from home and family all week, and with the time difference would not be landing in the UK again till Friday lunchtime anyway. I also find it near impossible to sleep on planes. So I then said I wouldn't even be opening the laptop on arrival home, but heading straight for bed.

I once got a bollocking for leaving the office at 3:30pm to catch a flight to a conference that my boss had made me go to. You can imagine how I calmly resolved that one.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I used to get this sort of grief although mainly of the sort of "You don't need to leave that early to get to Heathrow" etc. resulting in massive stress and sometimes, driving as I shouldn't...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Simon

Post by Simon »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:50 am

I once got a bollocking for leaving the office at 3:30pm to catch a flight to a conference that my boss had made me go to. You can imagine how I calmly resolved that one.
:D With fully Rev diplomacy no doubt :shock:

TBF my boss (and company) is very good. With my troubles over the last month he's really been like 'see you whenever, take what time you need, let me know if you want someone else to handle your workload', which is exactly how I've been able to deal with what's been necessary and not have to worry about getting up early and thinking about whether my deals will fall over or not. The above example was just us talking about how I'd like to use up my last few days leave this year (and him forgetting how that week would pan out - no biggie).
The artist formerly known as _Who_
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:58 am I used to get this sort of grief although mainly of the sort of "You don't need to leave that early to get to Heathrow" etc. resulting in massive stress and sometimes, driving as I shouldn't...
Grief from who? Tell whoever it is to shut the fuck up and that you'll be in charge of how much time you think you'll need to get to Heathrow, thanks.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:50 am

Ah - the old "huh huh half-day for you today eh" brigade.

I have a response for those people - it involves direct eye contact and saying "shut the fuck up you cunt". Hasn't let me down once.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:05 am Grief from who?
Line Management, Company Directors, Company Owners - we used to get Squeezed a lot. I would get grief for not running a Steering Committee on one project while driving to Slough from Milton Keynes for another project etc. the fact I was on the road between 05:30 and 07:00 didn't seem to matter

It wasn't a great place to work but thankfully I'm not there anymore
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
mik

Post by mik »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:08 am
Disagree.
From now on you are authorised to drive only cars with 2 pedals.

You too Bear. (Assuming your agreement was with the disagreement of 2-pedals).
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:11 am
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:05 am Grief from who?
Line Management, Company Directors, Company Owners - we used to get Squeezed a lot. I would get grief for not running a Steering Committee on one project while driving to Slough from Milton Keynes for another project etc. the fact I was on the road between 05:30 and 07:00 didn't seem to matter

It wasn't a great place to work but thankfully I'm not there anymore
My last place was like that, you’d have to get the red eye if you were flying and they’d expect you to be in the office until 6. When you’d been up at 4 that’s not exactly fun.
Where I am now we travel in office hours usually and no one bats an eyelid. When you do get the odd one that does the above they get response of ‘well I ain’t doing that so you’ll be on your own’, they usually change their plans.

Carl