FTAO People who travel a lot with work.

JLv3.0

Re: FTAO People who travel a lot with work.

Post by JLv3.0 »

No idea why this posted.
Last edited by JLv3.0 on Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

RRP: £330.00
Price: £329.99

This is an opportunity not to be missed!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

A door wedge alarm,

Stops things getting all rapey should you travel to dangerous places.

Dave!
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

unzippy wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:58 pm
Richard wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:57 pm Amazong are offering a HUGE discount on those Sony WH-1000XM3’s at the moment https://amzn.to/2Edxx5q
Holy cow!

RRP: £330.00
Price: £329.00

:shock:

Richard wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:08 amTry again
I'm guessing you mean there is a huge discount on the M2s as the M3s have just been released?
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Richard

Post by Richard »

No, the HUGE discount being offered by amazon is different to what you’ve put there by a factor of 100
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It’s showing 329.99 for me.
“You save £0.01”
How about not having a sig at all?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:10 am RRP: £330.00
Price: £329.99

This is an opportunity not to be missed!
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Several of us who travel a bit use Tripp cases, they beat out Samsonite and Delsey in a gadget show test and are about half the price.

A multi region plug with built in USB ports for charging devices is essential (don't get ripped off by the airport Skross ones that for £50 do less than a £5 one from Amazon).

A handheld device with enough storage for Netflix offline downloads, also a phone with again enough storage for offline music library I deem essential.

Find an airline that you can travel everywhere with and sign up with their frequent flyer club so that you get the perks as early as possible (lounge access is a godsend to get you away from the great unwashed and takes a lot of the stress out of travelling).

Use a chain of hotels too that have a loyalty scheme, that way when the wife is free you can use some airmiles (from above frequent flyer scheme) and some hotel points to get yourselves a free weekend city break.

Carl.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Ah the plug is a good shout, I assumed all hotels had USB plugs nowadays!

I have a Galaxy S8 with a 256gb memory card so will hopefully be ok for media stuff.

I'm hoping to start soon and get on the road!

Longest. Month. EVER!
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Richard wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:08 amTry again
That link says 329 vs 330 to me aswell! 🤷‍♂️
Cheers,

Ian
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

16vCento wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:38 pm
I'm making a massive change in career, as someone who has come from fixing cars for a living, to looking after manufacturers warranty claims, to now be a global auditor is a big step up, one I'm very much looking forward to, and I know it's not glamorous travelling all over as some may think.
Well done pal! Congratulations!
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Plugs wise, buy a US version and then use your UK or US plug in every major chain worldwide. Unless you’re in Europe...

ETA: yes, congratulations on a significant promotion. Guess that shows hard work can pay off!... 👍
Cheers,

Ian
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I have the Sony WH1000-XM2 and they're really good

Way cheaper than the current model and really only some marginal gains to be had spending the extra IMO
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

DaveE wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:35 pm I have the Sony WH1000-XM2 and they're really good

Way cheaper than the current model and really only some marginal gains to be had spending the extra IMO
Is that beacuse

Richard wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:57 pm Amazong are offering a HUGE discount on those?
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Actually, I think I have the MDR-1000X

I got them from the Amazon 'returns' thing (can't think of the name now) - they were basically "as new" but opened.

Saved lots of money on various things, buying that way.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I still want that "Try again" post explained to me.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

16vCento wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:49 pm Ah the plug is a good shout, I assumed all hotels had USB plugs nowadays!

I have a Galaxy S8 with a 256gb memory card so will hopefully be ok for media stuff.

I'm hoping to start soon and get on the road!

Longest. Month. EVER!
Some do, some don't. I always travel with, my phone, work phone and ipad, plus my surface pro so the one plug does all. I never print boarding cards (it just another thing to have to look after and lose, if you are listening to a bit of music on your phone you will alway likely have it ready) as I have the airline apps (BA, SAS and Passwallet) on both phones and they always get charged at night so one is always fully powered. We all do it this way and there's about 5 of us that regularly travel back and forth to Copenhagen and Riga. I don't travel quite as much as my colleague (she's a singly though) and she's managed to get SAS Bronze in less than a year. Buy a small powerbank and keep it charged just for emergency boarding card use.
I have an S7 edge with a 64gb card for music and a 128GB iPad Air2 which with my case clips to the back of most airline seats, it's perfect for flying and keeps the phone battery for internet, calls, boarding passes and music. My work phone is there for backup as I refuse to use my own phone for work (you need to be able to switch off from work).
Don't kid yourself though it's not a jetset lifestyle, it's a pain in the balls (but I guess having 3 kids changes my perspective massively though, as I did enjoy it more when in my 20's)! I actively try and do teleconferences in preference now. Being the senior architect I'm quite often required in the main room in front of a screen and whiteboard so can't avoid it all the time (I have 6 upgrade projects on my system running next year so expect a lot of travel to Copenhagen in Q1/2).
I tend to stay in one hotel in Copenhagen as it helps me settle and sleep better (being in a different bed on your own doesn't help for a good nights sleep and alcohol isn't a plan either, also even a 1hr time difference is not helpful either) so finding a good hotel that you can always use helps.
Look for one with quiet rooms if you are a suburban or country dweller and rooms overlooking roads if you live in a city (as it's less disruptive to your sleeping if your noise levels are the same away as at home). A decent breakfast (to set you up for the day and no go to the office hungry as you'll have no time to stop on the way in), also somewhere that has a good restaurant (some evenings you'll be happy to go out but others you'll just want to stay in and watch netflix so having the option of walking to a restaurant or room service mean you are having to out somewhere).
If you visit ever Copenhagen I suggest the Tivoli hotel (ask for a room with river view) and Riga the Radisson Blu Elizabets (with the skyline bar), bit random I know but both have nice rooms, good wifi, decent restaurants/bars (Tivoli is exceptional in fact) and aren't too expensive.

All of this may sound pedantic but you are there to work. being relaxed, well fed and rested means you can function well without stressing. It also means that when you get home you don't crash and waste your leisure time recovering from the week and ending up burnt out after 6 month of it.

Carl.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

That's really sound advice Carl.

To expand on my comment before, anyone about to enter into a world of travel for work needs to remember one important thing - it's not like travelling for holiday. The first time you go somewhere new will be fun, and you'll get that little buzz out of navigating a new place and being all grownup and stuff. From the second time you visit that place onwards, it will just be tedious and a chore to endure.

Ditto endless flying. Yes, you get a little ego tickle about having to be "flown around the world" but really what you're being asked / told to do is put your life on hold for any number of hours at a time while you're crammed in (economy) or less so (business - have you agreed business-class travel?) on what is essentially a noisy, smelly, relatively slow mode of transport inhabited by people of questionable hygiene who you don't know.

You'll also need to get used to jet lag, to having to perform at work even though you feel like a zombie, being away from home for x amount every time, living from wifi signal to wifi signal and generally feeling exhausted and put-upon most of the time. Very soon you'll be yet another one of those dead-eyed, defeated slumped-sideways people on the flight home, wishing every second between you and being at home to just disappear and looking for the fast-forward button.

How long it takes you to get to this state is variable - it took me about three years. Oh and it makes travelling for pleasure into a pile of shit as well, as you'll be so fed up with airports, hotels and taxis that your mind will be unable to separate the two.

Anyway - good luck with the headphones and suitcase purchase :D
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Single-serving friends...

Richard

Post by Richard »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:00 am I still want that "Try again" post explained to me.
Try reading the price again, they aren’t £329.00 as you posted,Unzippy, but actually £329.99.