FTAO People who travel a lot with work.

16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

FTAO People who travel a lot with work.

Post by 16vCento »

Good Evening frequent flyers :)

So I have finally got the job I've always wanted, however, with big job, come big responsibility, and lots of travelling.

LOTS of travelling.

I will be away for about 17 weeks a year, and will be literally everywhere, i know this is probably quite normal for some of you guys, but coming from someone who has worked in one place for a long time, it's going to be a bit of a change I reckon.

I've been recommended to get some good noise cancelling headphones, and a decent carry on bag, ideally I don't want to take more than one bag, are all airlines pretty similar in size allowance for carry on luggage?

Any tips will be gratefully received :D
Shlergen

Re: FTAO People who travel a lot with work.

Post by Shlergen »

What's your budget. Sony WH-1000XM3 best, Bose QC35 not far behind if you've got 300 notes to burn on headphones. I bought a set from Avantree as I didn't think I would be using them that much. I am pretty impressed and were comfortable enough for an 11 hour stint (Joberg).

Budget airlines e.g. Flybe bag sizes are different to likes of BA so if you're planning to use for European flights get a bag that suits both. Other thing definitely worth looking at is an Amex card. Either for points, miles and lounge access.
mik

Post by mik »

16vCento wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:18 pm LOTS of travelling.

I will be away for about 17 weeks a year.
I thought you said lots of travelling? :?

You'll find what suits you. Some like these laptop trolley cases. I dont.

Dunno about headphones.

I buy cheap cabin cases like Tripp. Well made, but cheap enough to replace regularly and not get upset. I tend to travel as light as possible - if away 2 nights or less I use laptop rucksack only.
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I currently travel 24 miles a day, it will be a lot to me!

I want to travel as light as possible, I need a laptop, phone, couple of shirts I guess, the Tripp cases are on sale in Debenhams at the minute as well so I'll go have a look.

I'll have a look at getting an Amex and will go try those headphones at the weekend, our John Lewis has a fair few sets out to try normally.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

If you go on Samsonite website, you can pick bags by the airline. Something like this works well. https://www.samsonite.co.uk/cabin-colle ... id=SAMS313

I’ve had something similar for about a decade and it’s tough as fuck! 4 wheels are easier to move, but don’t have a brake and so move by themselves if left on an uneven surface (I see this a lot at airports!). Also, wheels tend to be the weakest point on the case, so I figure two wheels lessens the chance of one being broke. I also have an American Tourister old case (now owned by Samsonite) that has lost two wheels over 18 years. They were an easy replacement through their repair hotline. I’m not sure they still do this however, but have heard good things about the repair places at LHR.

Like everything in life, you can either buy cheap and buy frequently or pay more and pay less frequently; I don’t think there’s a wrong answer tbh.

Sony and Bose headsets are popular, but depends if you want to sleep and which cabin you’re in. Earplugs work well if you think you’re going to sleep most of the time. Bluetooth works if you’re watching your own media, but won’t if you want to watch the aircraft’s system.

Do you know which airline you’ll be flying with, or will it be several?
Cheers,

Ian
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Amex necter point card is good.

I have a large Wenger laptop trolley case thing thats ok for carry on and I love it. I use it for business and lads trips to Benidorm as it's strong, sturdy and easy to transport and it's compartments are great for folded clothes and an extra set of shoes.

Enjoy it though. I had a couple of years of a lot of international travel and it was great. I was lucky enough to be able to have time to enjoy a little of the places I visited.

Also worth joining hotel loyalty schemes as you can rack up a lot of free nights away which are always handy for taking the other half away. IHG group and Hilton were the ones I used most.
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

You will need one of these for longer flights mit film.

Will have a look at samonite site, I’ve been using same carry on for 6+ years and it’s shocking but cost a tenner :)
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

It's the EVO way...

The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I'll be travelling with different airlines due to the places I'll be visiting I imagine, last week they went from here to Dallas on Sunday, from Dallas to Dubai midweek then back home Friday.

Thanks for all the recommendations will go suitcase shopping this weekend I think!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

i have a rucksack as you will always get it in the overhead locker. Swiss make lovely ones.
I have a laptop, charger stuff, loads of cables, hard drives, money, emergency money,
passport and second passport, phones etc.
If you have chargers etc pop them in a separate small drawstring bag for the x-ray area.
Don’t use your pockets for everything, use the bag or you will be another one of those twunts who takes 3 attempts to walk though the metal detector.

Depending on where you travel some cultures see the overhead bins as a way of moving house.

Have a system for where you keep essentials. So passport always in the same place, money, spare money etc. It makes rushing to catch connecting flights far less stressful.

Print off your flight, hotel, country contact details. Phones die and people don’t seem to understand this, life becomes difficult without voltage for many people.

Print boarding cards, it’s a pain when so many peoples phones turn off, have cracked screens, wanky screen protectors etc and try to scan the code in at the gate. I see this a lot.

Get your self sorted on the plane, if you fart about going back and forth to your hand luggage, god gates you and will give you the shits.

Don’t use the escalator, rolling walkway. Long flights need a little exercise between them.

SeatGuru.com. Gives anyone larger than a twig some much needed space when booking seats in advance.

Dave!
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:27 am hard drives, money, emergency money,
passport and second passport, phones etc.
Dave! is Jason Bourne AICMFP
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

There's a lot more to constant work travel than which headphones and suitcase to buy. Good luck.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Amazong are offering a HUGE discount on those Sony WH-1000XM3’s at the moment https://amzn.to/2Edxx5q

I have a pair of 1000XM2’s which were last year’s model - and whilst the 3’s are no doubt better, they aren’t THAT a much better if you can find the right price. If you can find a pair of those, there’s some genuinely good deals - I think they were around £200 on Black Friday. Seem to be sold out almost everywhere tho

In terms of carry on, I’d bear in mind that presumably this will also be the bad you’re taking to meetings etc? I’m not sure exactly what you do. But maybe something expandable would be good - bigger for flying with work stuff and clothing, then neat and tidy for just work stuff for meetings etc
Richard

Post by Richard »

Noise cancelling headphones are such a treat for air travel tho. I find planes quite stressful and nice headphones really help me with blocking out the rest of the world
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

JLv3.0 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:01 pm There's a lot more to constant work travel than which headphones and suitcase to buy. Good luck.
Yep, I'm really glad I don't do it any more.

I'd do just carry-on if it was only an overnight, else for a few days or more you end up living in work clothes and it makes it hard to pack gym/running gear and other things that help you stay sane. Better to have a normal day-bag with laptop, etc that you can stow at your feet when the overhead lockers are inevitably full, and wait the extra few minutes for your bigger bag to show up.
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Thanks for all the helpful stuff guys.

I know there is a lot more to travelling than suitcases and headphones, but those are the things that seem to make the travelling easier, I don't want a bag that falls apart and I can be in my own world with decent headphones on report writing, and everyone else on the plane can do what they like.

I'm making a massive change in career, as someone who has come from fixing cars for a living, to looking after manufacturers warranty claims, to now be a global auditor is a big step up, one I'm very much looking forward to, and I know it's not glamorous travelling all over as some may think.

I know there's a lot of experience on here from many different backgrounds, any advice regarding any of it is most welcome!
Last edited by 16vCento on Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Congratulations.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Congrats on the new job!

I found as my year off I gradually took less and less with me on each trip. It's quite nice embracing minimalism when it comes to packing, after you realise you don't need most of the shit you think you do.
Oui, je suis un motard.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Richard wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:57 pm Amazong are offering a HUGE discount on those Sony WH-1000XM3’s at the moment https://amzn.to/2Edxx5q
Holy cow!

RRP: £330.00
Price: £329.00

:shock:
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Richard

Post by Richard »

Try again