4 Paw Dog Drive Fleet running report

nuttinnew

Re: 4 Paw Dog Drive Fleet running report

Post by nuttinnew »

mik wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:51 pm Quick run to Loch Lomond late afternoon.

Big skies…..

8-)
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Lovely photos Mik and Dave 😍

We were looking after a friend's spaniel puppy along with Sadie this weekend. Hard work. This was probably the first time they stopped play fighting the whole weekend 🙄

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

It's been a crazy 9 weeks bringing them up, I don't know how my wife did it.

The last 2 left today and although the kids are a bit upset, I'm a bit relieved to get my house and wife back 😀
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

That's way too much cute in one picture.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

speedingfine wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:33 am
We were looking after a friend's spaniel puppy along with Sadie this weekend. Hard work. This was probably the first time they stopped play fighting the whole weekend 🙄
"Ooh, got treats?".

8-)
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Carlos wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:01 pm Image

8-)

I've got an image from that pic of them all pushing on the mesh together and moving the pen around. Whenever/wherever you stop and turn round they're there, exactly the same distance away :D
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

How many of you considered getting a rescue before buying a puppy?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Alex88 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:49 am How many of you considered getting a rescue before buying a puppy?
With 2 young kids it wasn’t an option, once my youngest is around 10 then we will. Especially a greyhound as they are awesome.

My FIL has a rescue who is absolutely brilliant in every way, a whippet/ ridgeback cross of some sort.
My SIL has a Husky/ Malamute cross and I wouldn’t have left my kids around it without my old dog there. She was very snappy and hard to read and took a lot of training, both by human and dog, to calm down.

I think our 2 pups will be the last ones we buy (unless the same breeder is doing the same blood line) as there are so many lovely dogs needing a home.

Dave!
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

Cheers Dave. I get that. I think that's probably the most common reason for a pup over a rescue? Seems that way to me, but I totally get the rationale behind it.

Would be nice to see a few more rescues in general - I do worry that the more puppies that are bought, the more difficult it becomes for rescues to get a home, increase in dog theft, puppy farms, all that stuff. Was sad to read about the amount of puppies bought during lockdown that had now been dumped with the rescue centres :cry:

Yep, Greyhounds are lovely. We had an ex-racer when I was a lad, so probably around 20 years ago now.. he came with his race book, tagged ear; was only around 4 or 5 when he retired and we got him. He was just great. It's hilarious watching them run around with other dogs and seeing them step up a gear - like a supercar vs a hatchback! It took a little while to settled into home life, but he got there.

Had experience with a quite a few rescues over the years inc German Shepherds, Rotties, Terriers, all absolutely fantastic in their own way. Never had any time with a Husky/Malamute, though. Definitely sounds tricky but I'm sure very rewarding if you can put the time in.

GF and I currently have a little German Spitz. Well I say little, he needs to lose a bit of weight :lol: got him almost two years ago from a rescue centre. His previous owner had had him since a pup but had seemingly never trained him properly - he came with a few bad habits, but I'm convinced that this all stemmed from a lack of patience with him. He's loving life now, has unbelievable, non-stop energy and is always smiling. Good lad.

Sorry to read about Flash, Dave. May the big chap rest easy. Your two pups are looking happy as anything.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Border terrier, Jack russell, whippet, greyhound, Tibetan, Akita etc are all on the list for wanting. Any dog with some fight about it attracts me as I like to see the working side of them come out.

My FILs dog is particularly lovely.

Flash used to play with a greyhound as he was pretty athletic, he had the legs on every dog on the field once he was up to speed but this greyhound would play for 5 minutes, Flash getting very close and then when it’s owner called him back he found 3 more gears and left Flash for dead 😂

Dave!
mik

Post by mik »

Alex88 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:49 am How many of you considered getting a rescue before buying a puppy?
We did.

Older lab we had from a pup.

Unknown but think she is a Turkish Akbash - see above image - is a rescue we got at (apparently) 3yrs old.

We enquired about a dog on German Shepherd Rescue but we were too far for them to do a house visit and pics + video weren’t enough to satisfy them. Which is just stupid. They recommended a Scottish GSD rescue who didn’t have anything suitable.

Pup in the correct short-coat, working-lines spec came along so we reverted to plan B.

Older lab was properly trained by us from a pup. Rescue has been a challenge - we were undoing 3yrs of no and/or shit training, so even now her recall isn’t as strong as it could be.

We will rescue again, but will probably alternate between pup and rescue to maintain the obedience levels
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Hopefully will finally get our Aussie in Feb, just waiting on a scan.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

mr_jon wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:41 pm Hopefully will finally get our Aussie in Feb, just waiting on a scan.
Australian Shepard ?

Dave!
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Any excuse to repost pics of my 2 😂

Mine are both rescues, despite not being full greyhound they are both from a local greyhound rescue. They’ve both been used for hare coursing (which is illegal) before we got them- Alfie (black one) was apparently successful and Toby (the white ball of fluff) was useless, hence Alfie coming to us age 5 and Toby 18 months old

Previous to this we had may, a full Irish registered greyhound. I can honestly say full greys are easier to manage than my current batshit crazy crosses

Still miss her 😢
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I wouldn't risk an adult rescue dog if you have young children.

I've done it once and my daughter who was about 5 at the time had a very lucky escape.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Rescue dogs can be a pain in the ass and I didn't want to risk having a pain in the ass dog for ten years plus I'm afraid. It's the same reason we went for a Labrador rather than any other breed.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I wouldn’t really categorise my dog as a rescue since I don’t think he was treated that badly in the grand scheme of things but he was an ex show dog, basically caged all day and had no training at all. I bought him from the breeder out of sympathy as she seemed like a psycho. I’m pretty sure he used to get beat with a mop as he shook for a few years whenever I got a mop out.
Way way harder to train than my first dog which I had since he was a puppy. In fact I got him toilet trained and he learned his name and how to sit and then I basically stopped wasting time with that. Luckily he could walk well on a leash because show dog and also picked up walking without a leash as well.

He was mental around food, if you walked close to him while he was eating something he’d snap at you, I was genuinely afraid of the little shit sometimes! He became pretty normal in all respects a few years later the only bad thing is he still has really poor confidence and is super shy despite having him 9 years now. Hates other people petting him or any dogs which approach him which is unfortunate.

He’s also racist which was weird when I had to explain to a friend to not touch him at first because he’s scared of dark people…
How about not having a sig at all?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Flash used to drop his tail and keep watch if anyone with a Turban after thinking the guy in Last Man Standing was going to jump out of the telly 😂

Dave!
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

V8Granite wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:10 pm
mr_jon wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:41 pm Hopefully will finally get our Aussie in Feb, just waiting on a scan.
Australian Shepard ?

Dave!
Yeah, been waiting for 18 months now for our local breeder. First dog and perhaps my only one, didn't want any regrets later in life.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Very good choice, I love how these look and they are supposed to be very hardy dogs.

Lots of work but would be a very rewarding dog to own.

Dave!