4 Paw Dog Drive Fleet running report

Zonda_

Re: 4 Paw Dog Drive Fleet running report

Post by Zonda_ »

Ah, cheers. Dropbox used to give you the option of different links but I can't see them now.

Maya is good but has the usual St Bernard stubborn streak. If we take her to the field for a walk, if she doesn't like the way we're going she'll lie down and there's no moving her! She has weird eating habits too. One day she'll wolf down her food, give her the same thin the next day and she won't touch it. Again, it's St Bernard thing apparently.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

We found non regular feeding times and no food days helped with stuff like this. It was getting annoying when they seemed to know to the minute when breakfast was to be served. Sod that, we’re not slaves haha

Maybe invest in a cattle prod 🤔

Dave!
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

mik wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:58 pm
Is that the puppy from a few weeks ago?! 😂
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

240PP wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:22 pm
mik wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:58 pm
Is that the puppy from a few weeks ago?! 😂
In St Bernard terms she still is a puppy. She still leaps around like she’s a month old. They don’t stop growing till they are 3 and she’s 70kg now!
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Stroke of luck yesterday, the other half was in a fairly local butcher and saw they had rabbit, it used to be common in butchers round here but not anymore. She asked if they had any rabbit pelts as Maya loves them, the butcher was over the moon as no one asks for them and they take up his bin space. Collecting 60 each Tuesday now! Wont make a dent in the £100 a month food bill and they stink to high Heaven but it'll keep her happy!
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Extended family dog report
- Brie the French bulldog, a breed not renowned for athleticism, has discovered she can jump the gate supposedly keeping her in the kitchen. This should not be possible.
- Hamish the border terrier / poodle cross is also displaying remarkable speed, keeping up with a greyhound on the beach
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

There's something about poodle crosses and speed I reckon - Millie is quite happy to run any dog she comes across ragged around the field, so far no one has beaten her including a slightly older greyhound who matched her but didn't have the legs on her.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Greyhounds have the top speed but zero endurance, they’re also lazy buggers 😂 if you’re looking for a fast sight hound as a challenge try watching a saluki or saluki cross. They’re not a million miles of a greyhound for top speed and can do it for much longer

Makes me wish Toby would be better at recall but he’s just too adventurous and he still thinks lead release is the signal to go hunt- but the few times he’s been able to run with other dogs nothings ever come close. One of the fastest dogs I’ve ever seen running
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Confession time. Dog has had mystery diarrhoea for a few days now, but seemed ok in herself, but off her food. Not a clue what it was, thought it might be a bug. She was off to the vet tonight. All in all not nice.

Turns out kibble goes off. Especially in hot weather it seems. Opened another bag and she wolfed it and is back to normal. Sorry doggo, we'll buy you a food container tonight 😳
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

speedingfine wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:56 am Confession time. Dog has had mystery diarrhoea for a few days now, but seemed ok in herself, but off her food. Not a clue what it was, thought it might be a bug. She was off to the vet tonight. All in all not nice.

Turns out kibble goes off. Especially in hot weather it seems. Opened another bag and she wolfed it and is back to normal. Sorry doggo, we'll buy you a food container tonight 😳
I don't get the Kibble thing, we were told to give Maya it and she constantly had runny shits, as soon as she switched to proper food they stopped.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Um, better for their teeth? We checked the one we use on this site - https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/ (Ava Pets at home medium dog 1-7 years)
mik

Post by mik »

@Zonda_ you have to find the right one for your dug.

We feed ours twice a day (“pup” is still 3x at the mo) Ours get kibble for breakfast (it’s like cereal eh? But not cheap cereal ;) and occaisionally in the evening mixed with sardines or whatevah ) We use Skinners and it works well.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

mik wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:17 am @Zonda_ you have to find the right one for your dug.

We feed ours twice a day (“pup” is still 3x at the mo) Ours get kibble for breakfast (it’s like cereal eh? But not cheap cereal ;) and occaisionally in the evening mixed with sardines or whatevah ) We use Skinners and it works well.
We tried loads, not that there are many for giant breeds. We tried all the ones St Bernards UK recommended.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

KiwiDave wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:33 pm There's something about poodle crosses and speed I reckon - Millie is quite happy to run any dog she comes across ragged around the field, so far no one has beaten her including a slightly older greyhound who matched her but didn't have the legs on her.
Yeah, Roxy's a miniature labradoodle (about 20Kg), mum was a fox red labrador, dad was a miniature poodle and aside from Layla the greyhound, not a single dog in the park can get anywhere near her for speed. She can turn on a dime too.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Zonda_ wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:51 am Stroke of luck yesterday, the other half was in a fairly local butcher and saw they had rabbit, it used to be common in butchers round here but not anymore. She asked if they had any rabbit pelts as Maya loves them, the butcher was over the moon as no one asks for them and they take up his bin space. Collecting 60 each Tuesday now! Wont make a dent in the £100 a month food bill and they stink to high Heaven but it'll keep her happy!
yep, that'll be reason #223 for me not understanding why anyone would want a dog that's as big as them. Rabbit pelts?!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

That’s a big dawg :shock:
How about not having a sig at all?
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Delphi wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:31 am
KiwiDave wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:33 pm There's something about poodle crosses and speed I reckon - Millie is quite happy to run any dog she comes across ragged around the field, so far no one has beaten her including a slightly older greyhound who matched her but didn't have the legs on her.
Yeah, Roxy's a miniature labradoodle (about 20Kg), mum was a fox red labrador, dad was a miniature poodle and aside from Layla the greyhound, not a single dog in the park can get anywhere near her for speed. She can turn on a dime too.
It’s funny - I feel I see loads of poodle crosses but very few poodles! I think the poodle genes in Hamish make him a bit flighty and prancy but I didn’t realised they gave you such a turn of speed. I suppose it’s the long legs; borders are normally such stubby legged little creatures that they don’t do speed!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Rich B wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:12 am
Zonda_ wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:51 am Stroke of luck yesterday, the other half was in a fairly local butcher and saw they had rabbit, it used to be common in butchers round here but not anymore. She asked if they had any rabbit pelts as Maya loves them, the butcher was over the moon as no one asks for them and they take up his bin space. Collecting 60 each Tuesday now! Wont make a dent in the £100 a month food bill and they stink to high Heaven but it'll keep her happy!
yep, that'll be reason #223 for me not understanding why anyone would want a dog that's as big as them. Rabbit pelts?!
Rabbit, all intact raw fish, camel Hyde, pigs ears and feet, chickens feet, , raw egg, offal etc, it’s all full of goodness and fair game.

We get free lamb neck from the butcher, 5 will last us a week plus their normal food. When not lamb necks it will be 2 ftozen chicken wings.

This is 3 days food….

This is with the mince on top, 800g each meal.

Dave!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Reason #224...
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

Rich B wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:56 pmReason #224...
:lol:

Seeing that scares the fuck out of me Dave honestly. I'm so fucking glad Millie eats fumes compared to that - I'd be bankrupt in weeks :lol: