4 Paw Dog Drive Fleet running report

V8Granite

Re: 4 Paw Dog Drive Fleet running report

Post by V8Granite »

jamcg wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:59 pm Alfie has developed some quite nasty food allergies- he comes out in some horrendous rashes that smell and itch him horribly. They clear up by feeding him grain free but the cost over standard food is difficult to swallow, and he doesn’t seem to like it much.

So I’m looking for a bit of advice……

I seem to remember a few of you guys feed yours on a natural raw diet- what does this entail and would it be cheaper than grain free food?
We spend £400 a month feeding our 2 dogs raw, that’s with roughly 1.5kg a day each. Plus any treats.

It all depends on how much raw he needs as it can be cheap but certainly never cheaper than regular quality kibble.

Dave!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Make that £500 as the prices just all went up, plus getting heart is proving a pain so it’s cow hearts and chop them up again.

Hutch is doing well after his elbow operation, trying our best to keep the weight off but he still came in at 47.6kg last week. Absolutely bouncing and jumping so he is very restricted at the minute, he is not enjoying this.

Coopers training is going well, pretty much nailed the pulling on the lead but he is very treat led like Hutch so trying to remove the treats slowly.

Annoyingly the kids and the dogs had a “we are going to be utter bellends” day last week and me and the wife were tempted to fill the fridge and disappear for a month alone 😂

Dave!
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Christ, they're getting big 😄

Sadie (a lab, yes ok a small one) was weighed today and is 23kg and is 'not going to grow much more' apparently :D
mik

Post by mik »

speedingfine wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:40 pm Sadie (a lab, yes ok a small one) was weighed today and is 23kg and is 'not going to grow much more' apparently :D
Our choccie Lab turned 14 last week. She’s always been around 24-25kg.

She is still active (albeit a bit wobbly on her back legs), but her hearing is now rubbish and her eyes are getting all misty. :?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Not mine (or the pup);

"My little pup created this heart shaped poop to greet me this morning.
Such a sweet little baby 😁"
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

mik wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:12 pm
speedingfine wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:40 pm Sadie (a lab, yes ok a small one) was weighed today and is 23kg and is 'not going to grow much more' apparently :D
Our choccie Lab turned 14 last week. She’s always been around 24-25kg.

She is still active (albeit a bit wobbly on her back legs), but her hearing is now rubbish and her eyes are getting all misty. :?
No doubt a clever ruse to enable more food scoffing!!

Me and Hutch having yet another discussion about meal times. He thinks I’m always late and never feed him enough, I disagree. At that moment he was very disappointed in me 😂

Cooper on the left, Hutch on the right, both assuming that front door open means walks are imminent. Cooper has really filled out but still has a fair way to go, Hutch is still a big puppy and his leg is improving.

After duck food, bedding etc we are saving £15 a month on eggs!!! That’s on an egg by egg basis, if it was per gram it would be double that 😎

Lovely animals to have pottering about our little garden.

Dave!
Last edited by V8Granite on Fri May 06, 2022 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mik

Post by mik »

Excellent conversation-with-dog image :lol:

Duck pic doesn’t show for me.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Ducks now in attendance.

If they see you going to the shed they immediately think “Mealworms” but when you turn to give them the worms they shout “runaway runaway”

Dave!
mik

Post by mik »

V8Granite wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:03 pm Ducks now in attendance.

If they see you going to the shed they immediately think “Mealworms” but when you turn to give them the worms they shout “runaway runaway”

Dave!
8-) They are still relatively young and will get braver. My eldest feeds ours mealworms out of his hands - fook that. I feed them from a jug and they are happy enough for you to give them a wee stroke on the head/back whilst doing so. (Even though you shouldn’t touch them really - can compromise the careful oil levels on their feathers that maintain waterproofyness)

This place is a good source btw
https://www.gardenwildlifedirect.co.uk/
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

V8Granite wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:35 pm Hutch is still a big puppy and his leg is improving.

Dave!

8-)
Cracking pics 8-)
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

mik wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:17 pm (Even though you shouldn’t touch them really - can compromise the careful oil levels on their feathers that maintain waterproofyness)
I didn't know that, though now you say it it seems pretty obvious :oops:
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I took our black lab out for a run last week, nothing untoward happened but a couple of hours later he was in a bad way.... because he was off his chops on cannabis. It took a bit to realise what had happened as initially we'd no idea what he'd eaten, but his eyes were a giveaway. OOH vet appointment @ £400 confirmed it, we got some charcoal solution for him (exorbitant mark-up on that) and he just had to ride it out. Due to the way their metabolism works he got high again later on and it was about 24 hours for it to work its way out of his system.

Symptoms in case it ever happens to you... Hyper-sensitive to any movement near him; terrified to move or try to walk; peeing uncontrollably; spaced-out pupils & glassy eyes.

Was a long couple of days but thankfully he's back to normal now.
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

@Ascender
Things you don’t plan for…. :?

Glad to hear he’s better!

German Shepherd “pup” is now 10.5months old. Females don’t get to the same size as males, but she is a couple of kg ahead of the average for her age, and is a bit of a chunk - without being remotely overweight.

Loving tennis-ball work with her at the moment, using the ball thrower thingy for extra distance. She is feckin rapid, and - as per the breed - presents a fine balance between overall size/weight and awesome agility.

Then vs now…

dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

V8Granite wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:35 pm Image
Great Pic... "Look Dave, we need to have a chat about a few things..." :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Great pictures and updates!
Cheers,

Mike.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I love seeing fast dogs, the bit where they drop their heads and just find another gear is awesome!!!

There is a German Shepard male puppy just down the road and it’s proving hard to not give it fuss whenever we see him.

Dave!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

dinny_g wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:42 am
Either that's a very big dug or Dave has shrunk in the wash.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

DeskJockey wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:01 pm
dinny_g wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:42 am
Either that's a very big dug or Dave has shrunk in the wash.
I see your big dog and I raise you...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yvk7jt17bcd6q ... 2.jpg?dl=0

and why won't my pictures embed, I posted and img link from Dropbox as Dave had done but it just says 'Image' when I preview it.
mik

Post by mik »

V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

That Bernard is lovely 😎

How is she getting on with training and general dogginess ?

If you want the pic to embed, delete the dl=1 and change it to raw=1 instead.

Dave!