4 Paw Dog Drive Fleet running report

teacherboy

Re: 4 Paw Dog Drive Fleet running report

Post by teacherboy »

scotta wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:30 am Dogs being PTS is fucking horrible. See post one on this thread. Hardest thing ever to see your best pal having to go.

You've absolutely done the right thing getting another. Straight back on the horse as you say.

You do however need two of them...Mik will agree.
This is one of our agreed regrets - we didn't get the pupper while Newton was around to teach it how to be a dog. We'll have just the one initially and then i'll work on the wife so we can have a pair, there are plenty of dogs on my street though and we have a cat so he won't be so lonely.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I'm also a big fan of the two dogs principle, it's really no more effort, both dogs will be happier and you've given a good home to another pup. But hey - if this is what's working best for you mate, all to the good.
teacherboy

Post by teacherboy »

Went for a visit yesterday, amazingly Jackson came right over to Daisy and settled straight down with her - guess he truly has chosen her to be his human!

ImageMore Jackson by Simon Brown, on Flickr

Also grabbed a quick selfie of me and the doggo....

Very much looking forward to having the hustle and bustle of a puppy around again - he's having his first Jabs tomorrow and is booked in for a second round on Saturday 16th so we'll be able to take him for short walks during half-term which works out perfectly :D
Simon

Post by Simon »

D'awwwww.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
teacherboy

Post by teacherboy »

Puppies are noisy the first few nights away from the litter and mum........ I'd conveniently forgotten that little factoid!

Meh - I'll sleep when i'm dead, meanwhile wife is threatening to send him back to the breeder and suggests we should have waited until summer (whilst conveniently forgetting that the purchase price of the puppy came out of her bank account and she was the one who called the breeder etc. etc. etc.

She gets really cranky if she doesn't get 8 hours sleep per night....

Also - she's arranged to be able to take him into work so he's not unsupervised in the house for 3 hours at a time between going to work and people coming in at mid morning to snuggle him.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

How adorable!

New puppies are pretty much like new babies - sleepless nights aplenty for the first while, but its not long before they’re house-trained and sleeping through the night.
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

8-)

(Another argument for 2 dogs btw : they settle much faster)
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

They do... and I still find it amazing how much their behaviour is influenced by others in the pack - learning how to be a dog.

Although we’ve found they can also be influenced by cats. Our first two retrievers learned how to stretch like cats with the arched back thing going on and they did it all their lives.
Cheers,

Mike.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I took Flash to get his dog food yesterday, he carried it back and was a perfect dog. Shows up a lot of other dogs when off the lead and playing. Weighed in at 51kg still so rock solid weight wise.

This morning though he was an over-excited bellend and needed a good smack on his butt to snap him out of it.

He’s had a run and been in the river now so is back to being good as gold.

He’s not getting fed till this evening now as he knows he was a wally !

Dave!
scotta

Post by scotta »

Ascender wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:39 am They do... and I still find it amazing how much their behaviour is influenced by others in the pack - learning how to be a dog.

Although we’ve found they can also be influenced by cats. Our first two retrievers learned how to stretch like cats with the arched back thing going on and they did it all their lives.
2 Dags FTW.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

scotta wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:13 pm
Ascender wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:39 am They do... and I still find it amazing how much their behaviour is influenced by others in the pack - learning how to be a dog.

2 Dags FTW.
2 is the magic number. I decided three big dogs was too many. We now have four and its insanity at times, but Guide Dog Puppy Danny only has a few more months with us before off to big boy training.
Cheers,

Mike.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

teacherboy

Post by teacherboy »

Jackson (Drummer Juno to the Kennel Club) is getting alog nicely - taken him a week and he's sussed doing his business on puppy pads overnight, barks to be let out when he wants to go out during the day and generally settled in very very well. Everyone loves him, he's brave with the other dogs on the street and will cuddle with anyone and everyone!

Think he'll be a good pupper and even better doggo when he's older and trained :D

nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

teacherboy wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:48 pm Jackson...settled in very very well.

He must have to sleep like that 8-)
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Going through a bit of a nervous time with my 12 year old greyhound May at the moment, first she stumbled in the flat a couple of weeks ago, started screaming and not putting weight on her front leg. That turned out to just be something pulled in her shoulder, but of metacam in her from the vet and started improving straight away, happy days.

We then noticed last week her breathing being heavy and fast, thought it was a reaction to the meds and took her off them as vet advised, no change and in fact worsened to include coughing and retching, so took her in. She’s had a heart murmur for years (common in greys apparently) but it seems to have reached a critical point and she’s now experiencing heart failure. We’ve got some new meds for her but if she doesn’t respond I’m afraid it may be time to say goodbye. Not happy times
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

:(

Fingers crossed for May, you, and your family.
mik

Post by mik »

:( Not good. Wish her strength. And you too.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Small improvement in May today, still struggling with her breathing but doesn’t seem as dazed and confused as she did, fingers crossed she continues to pick up 🤞
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

jamcg

Post by jamcg »

There was no improvement in Mays condition after initially looking up, so the decision was made that any further attempts to help her would just be extending her suffering and dragging out the inevitable outcome, so this afternoon she went to the vets and was put to sleep. Not a pleasant experience, but seeing her at peace, compared with how she has been cemented in my mind it was definitely the right choice. She’ll be missed dearly but is no longer suffering