4 Paw Dog Drive Fleet running report

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: 4 Paw Dog Drive Fleet running report

Post by Ascender »

Is there anything better than pics of dogs running?

Jet has been back for a couple of months now and is adjusting back to civilian life. He's still pretty serious at the best of times but is relaxing in to things although he has a hell of a lot of energy. We'd never had a pure lab before so its amazing to see the difference between them and retrievers. He's been coming out on runs with me and absolutely loves it whereas he was a bag of stress and nerves during his final guide dog training.

Cheers,

Mike.
Jezh

Post by Jezh »

Jet looks like a cracking fella.
Your opinion is very important for me. Thank you please.
mik

Post by mik »

Handsome boy 😎
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

That dog has a job, which is chase it’s owner!

Dave!
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

First couple of days he got stressed just putting the harness on - I guess he thought he was off working again. The head of training saw him in his kennel on the first day up there looking stressed and didn't think he'd made it, she was right. Loves his running harness now and is proving to be very devoted so its worked out well. Not sure what the current success rate is, but some just aren't cut out for it I guess.
Cheers,

Mike.
teacherboy

Post by teacherboy »

On Friday 18th January at around 5.25pm my beloved Black Labrador Newton lost his long battle with heart disease (Pericardial effusion) and had to be euthanised as a final act of love.

I've buried him under the apple tree in our garden, head towards the house and the pond and fields he loved to play in with all the local dogs and no doubt i'll speak to him every day - we're going to put an arbour next to his grave with a seat so you can sit in the sun and contemplate life a little from time to time.

He was the the definition of a GOOD BOY and the kindest and gentlest soul the universe could have served up. I'm utterly broken atm and wish that more could have been done for him. I will miss him every day that i'm alive and he isn't.

ImageNewton by Simon Brown, on Flickr

Being crazy people and having a massive fucking void where Newton was couldn't be stood for for any length of time and we've gotten straight back on the horse and this morning we went to see some Fox Red Retriever puppies and one of them luckily selected us - well he selected Daisy and couldn't be budged from her until we had to leave, I'm not religious but if this was Newtons way of telling us that everything would in fact be OK after all, then I'll take that unlikely scenario and run with it.

He's called "Jackson" and we'll collect him in a little under 3 weeks on Friday 8th February - of course he can't replace what we had but if he's even 20% the dog Newton was then he'll be awesome.

ImageIMG_20190120_114826 by Simon Brown, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20190120_115327 by Simon Brown, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20190120_115330 by Simon Brown, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20190120_115342 by Simon Brown, on Flickr

He's the one with the green collar looking slightly peaved that his comfy with his new human was being disturbed - there is one left that needs a forever home - a boy who's on the right trying to barge in in the last picture!

ImageIMG_20190120_120208 by Simon Brown, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20190120_120223 by Simon Brown, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20190120_120236 by Simon Brown, on Flickr

He has huge pedigree and the breeder does it as a sideline from her dairy farm in Hardington Mandeville nr Yeovil. We saw the mum (Millie) and she was fabulous - alternating between feeding the puppers and playing rough and tumble with them and seeking out scritches from me (which i was more than happy to provide), pictures of the dad (Digby) and he was a stunning looking field and trial working dog but belongs to another person in the village and she travels the country competing him and her 3 other dogs.

In the midst of tragedy comes some solace and a new chapter begins - but we've realised and crystallised one thing this weekend.

Life without a pupper is teh sux.
mik

Post by mik »

RIP Newton. :(

Putting to sleep animals you love is horrific. :(

Jackson looks great. 8-) You won’t regret it.
teacherboy

Post by teacherboy »

mik wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:40 pm RIP Newton. :(

IS teh sux.

But we were there with him, he'd keeled over backwards from lack of oxygen on his final walk an hour before the injection, i genuinely thought that he was done for and he would die on the side of the small slope we had just slowly walked up - he had fluid in his lungs, pericardium, abdomen and was experiencing right sided heart failure, slowly drowning and multiple organ failure was just a day or 2 away, if we hadn't have been strong enough to say yes to the vet and brought him home he wouldn't have made it to the end of the weekend and would have been in terrible distress and have had little to no quality of life in those final hours.

As it was happening, i was in floods trying to comfort him and he was licking the tears from my face as i just let it all go (and have been periodically doing since) - even at the end he gave out all the love he had. This is why we do it to ourselves - we know we'll outlive them, but they love unconditionally, force us to be better humans and never ask for anything in return.

Jackson will no doubt be an awesome hound - we've been shopping for new kit today as Newton was buried with his bed, blankets, ball and his favourite toy - a cross between a tennis ball and a retrieval training duck that could be flung into the sea for him to fetch, this he would do until we got bored or he was too knackered to move. Remembering his tap-dancing in the back of the car as we arrived at studland or west bay or winterton or gorleston (or any beach for that matter) is making me smile atm even though tears are not far behind.
Simon

Post by Simon »

teacherboy wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:44 pm
Really sorry for your loss, but what a lovely tribute.

And this photo is lovely! What a wonderful moment right there.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

This ad is currently on Aus TV, I thought of this thread:

The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
mik

Post by mik »

Bah. "This video is not available in your country"
mikeyb
Currently Driving: R56 Mini GP2
R53 Mini Cooper S
L322 Range Rover Westminster
BMW F30 330d

Post by mikeyb »

Sorry for your loss teacherboy.

Seeing my gf's parent's Spaniel being put down wasn't the nicest of experiences, so I can only imagine how hard it must be if it's your own dog :cry:

The FR Retrievers look lovely 8-)
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Sorry to hear that Teacherboy :(

Got a call yesterday to say that our first guide dog Ben had been knocked down by a car but thankfully survived, albeit he's now got a plate in his leg. He's recuperating before going back to his person.
Cheers,

Mike.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

A horrible time but what an awesome affect the dog has had on you and your family, a lovely tribute.

Dave!
teacherboy

Post by teacherboy »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:15 am A horrible time but what an awesome affect the dog has had on you and your family, a lovely tribute.

Dave!
We've also named the garage bar I put together over the summer "Newtons" - his collar will be on the wall and pics of him on display beside it, all my friends and family loved him as much as we did because he was so easy going, even people who didn't like dogs found themselves stroking him! When the bar is completely finished (few shelves and some bottles to go on wall, couple of sockets to connect and some LED lights to drape around) we'll all get bladdered in there and raise a glass to the memories he gave us and the friendships he started as walking him out and about allowed me to meet some awesome people.

My wife's boss even came around on Saturday morning to pay her final respects before we buried him - she wanted to steal him and would spend her time when she was around the house periodically asking if we were sure that we didn't want to let her have him and sniffing him saying he smelt just how dogs should smell :?

One thing that you don't realise will happen when you have a pet euthanised is the huge guilt that builds a few days later, this morning I nearly threw up as a wave of "oh but......" and "if we did this....." and "perhaps it was....." ran through my head! Rational me knows that the vet who's looked after him for his entire life wouldn't have shook her head if there was any hope left but that doesn't stop it from happening :(
teacherboy

Post by teacherboy »

Ascender wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:43 am Sorry to hear that Teacherboy :(

Got a call yesterday to say that our first guide dog Ben had been knocked down by a car but thankfully survived, albeit he's now got a plate in his leg. He's recuperating before going back to his person.
Wishing a speedy recovery to Ben - that cannot have been an easy call or email to take! Guide dogs are awesome, especially when they are on their "free time" and they literally go full retard - not met one yet that doesn't do it and then as soon as time is up they are straight back to being disciplined and doing their duties with pride and dignity. Always makes me smile :D
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

teacherboy wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:58 pm
he was licking the tears from my face

they...force us to be better humans

Remembering his tap-dancing in the back of the car as we arrived at any beach is making me smile

Even when it's all about them they still want to look after us.
They set high standards for us to live up to. They always seem to give back double what we give them, frustrating when you too are wanting to give and wanting nothing in return.
A lovely description of so much happy he couldn't stand still 8-)

Rest painfree Newton.

From the pictures I think you're lucky the other pups have homes, they're all claiming your daughter as their human.
mik

Post by mik »

All of these Cheetah act exactly like our Luna (rescuedug). She’ll just drop on top of anyone....

scotta

Post by scotta »

teacherboy wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:58 pm
mik wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:40 pm RIP Newton. :(

IS teh sux.

But we were there with him, he'd keeled over backwards from lack of oxygen on his final walk an hour before the injection, i genuinely thought that he was done for and he would die on the side of the small slope we had just slowly walked up - he had fluid in his lungs, pericardium, abdomen and was experiencing right sided heart failure, slowly drowning and multiple organ failure was just a day or 2 away, if we hadn't have been strong enough to say yes to the vet and brought him home he wouldn't have made it to the end of the weekend and would have been in terrible distress and have had little to no quality of life in those final hours.

As it was happening, i was in floods trying to comfort him and he was licking the tears from my face as i just let it all go (and have been periodically doing since) - even at the end he gave out all the love he had. This is why we do it to ourselves - we know we'll outlive them, but they love unconditionally, force us to be better humans and never ask for anything in return.

Jackson will no doubt be an awesome hound - we've been shopping for new kit today as Newton was buried with his bed, blankets, ball and his favourite toy - a cross between a tennis ball and a retrieval training duck that could be flung into the sea for him to fetch, this he would do until we got bored or he was too knackered to move. Remembering his tap-dancing in the back of the car as we arrived at studland or west bay or winterton or gorleston (or any beach for that matter) is making me smile atm even though tears are not far behind.
Dogs being PTS is fucking horrible. See post one on this thread. Hardest thing ever to see your best pal having to go.

You've absolutely done the right thing getting another. Straight back on the horse as you say.

You do however need two of them...Mik will agree.
mik

Post by mik »

scotta wrote:
You do however need two of them...Mik will agree.
I most certainly do.