Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: The ebay thread

Post by Rich B »

Nearly as long as a Stagea.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

You made me Google it, that Impala is just over 5.4m. More than a foot longer than my 7-Series. Nice.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Want to rant about how much I've grown to loath trying to sell a car through Fleabay.

It's has been and still is an utter fucking nightmare.

Listed my very sheddy but "interesting" E39 530i manual, tried my best to be completely honest about its mega miles, lack of mot and it would be "sold as seen" collection only. Deposit of 10% via PayPal on winning, fairly standard I thought.

First Auction in November started at £400 ended at £850 with about seven different bidders and I was entirely satisfied that was a fair price.

Winning bidders first message was "Don't have PayPal, I pay cash if I want car when I see it"
I reminded them of the terms of the auction and received no more responses from them. After 4 days of waiting out the "unpaid item" timer I offered it to the 2nd place bidder.

Response was "I don't want to pay the £750 I bid, I'll give you £650" I messaged back to say £650 would put them behind three other bidders. Received no more responses.

Third place bidder "Oh yeah, I bid £720 but I don't have room for it anymore, but i'll make room for £400"
And so on.
Meanwhile eBay scumbags have taken the listing fee and % already.

Restart auction last week. Turn all the security options up to the maximum allowed.
Winning bid of £765, ok that's still a fair price.
First message "Can you meet me halfway?" (An hour and a half drive)
"Sorry, sold as seen, collection only"
Silence.
eBay take their listing fee and %.

I fucking hate people and I fucking hate eBay.

Bloody tempted to give their name to a collection agency.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I was looking for a Lego Defender on ebay, loads of sellers wanting new price go ones that 'might have pieces missing' or boxes that have been ripped apart or even are clearly fake Lego but they are trying to pass it off as real. I'm the end I found one on Schpock, offered the seller £100 and he accepted.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Yeah, eBay is a bit hard work these days. The whole "will you deliver?" Questions when you list an item as collection only are my personal favourite. Especially when they ask after they've ended the auction.

I sold a set of handlebars a few months back and had it, they were collection only because at 800mm they were expensive to post.- I just told him they were waiting for him to collect. About 3 weeks later I eventually gave in after he sent over enough to cover the postage, but what a ballache.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

RobYob wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:38 am Want to rant about how much I've grown to loath trying to sell a car through Fleabay.
You're doing it by auction - don't. Classified ads work much better IME. It avoids all those chancers and "my child placed a bid" excuses by making people come and see the car in person and talk to you face to face. I sold my 5 & my wife's Passat this year and both were quite painless in the end.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Rich B wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:22 am Yeah, eBay is a bit hard work these days. The whole "will you deliver?" Questions when you list an item as collection only are my personal favourite. Especially when they ask after they've ended the auction.
Oh yeah, lots of that. Although it did work out well for me one time, an amplifier, clearly listed as collection only, they asked about postage after winning *and paying* :lol:

It's still here, and they didn't get a refund.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:28 am
RobYob wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:38 am Want to rant about how much I've grown to loath trying to sell a car through Fleabay.
You're doing it by auction - don't. Classified ads work much better IME.
This.

Good luck Rob!
GG.

Post by GG. »

I had one not long ago. Bloke bought an amplifier from me and messaged a few days later to say he loved it. Then another a day later to say 'sounds dull and lifeless, is it broken'. Then saw it re-advertised on eBay for more than he bought it for, which didn't sell.

Then he messaged me again out of the blue saying "does it have a phono stage" after he'd been using it for three months and having asked the question already!

Fucking weirdos. And more weirdly, someone that seems to have some sort of mental deficiency but still has the best part of £1,000 knocking around to buy second hand amplifiers...
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Coaster1 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:45 am
Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:28 am
You're doing it by auction - don't. Classified ads work much better IME.
This.

Good luck Rob!
Thanks for the advice guys. Will give a classified ad a go in the new year.
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

Sounds like a massive faff. You do get seller fees back though if you raise no payment and relist I thought ?!
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Shlergen wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:43 am Sounds like a massive faff. You do get seller fees back though if you raise no payment and relist I thought ?!
You get a "credit" for the % of sale and apparently if you ask nicely they might return the listing fee/s.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Shlergen wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:43 am Sounds like a massive faff. You do get seller fees back though if you raise no payment and relist I thought ?!
First they ask the "buyer" if they want to cancel the sale, and given they're the problem in the first place, chances are they won't reply and you have to wait for ebay's notice period to expire before you can get a refund. It takes weeks as a minimum.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Spotted 2 button blanks. That rules it out for me I'm afraid. 😂
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Manufacturers go out of their way to hide parking sensors and headlight washers.....
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I think the part of that that baffles me the most, isn't the quantity of blue bits - that can be accounted for by a muppet, a bored afternoon, a screw driver and a jar of Humbrol model paint. It's the silver D pillars, surely they left the factory black and looked a million times better for it?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It’s incredible, they’ve purposely highlighted all the design features which would otherwise be hidden.
How about not having a sig at all?