The Movie Thread

ZedLeg

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by ZedLeg »

The Batman

I loved it, my favourite version of movie Batman so far.

It’s a long movie but it doesn’t feel bloated or indulgent, the casting was perfect and the whole feel of the movie was great.
An absolute unit
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

We went to see Good Luck To You, Leo Grande last night. Free tickets from a friend of my wife who couldn't go, it was a preview screening and didn't have adverts despite being in a Cineworld. The cinema had no bloody hot dogs left though so didn't make any money from our presence at all :lol: Really nice not having ads, and I haven't been in a cinema screen that full for years.

The film was something I knew nothing about in advance and was actually quite enjoyable. It's a double header basically set in one hotel so not many actors, not many locations and very British. It's not going to take the world by storm and will doubtless appeal more to an audience who already like Emma Thompson but don't simply avoid it if you're dragged along. 7 miniatures from the mini-bar out of 10.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Red Hill

Low budget exploitation revenge movie from Australia. Really enjoyed it, had a real modern western feel. The guy who played the revenger was excellent, really intimidating while barely speaking for the whole movie. Also had Goose from Mad Max in it as a gruff old sheriff.

Would recommend if you like that kind of gritty modern western/crime movie.
An absolute unit
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:39 pm The Batman

It’s a long movie but it doesn’t feel bloated or indulgent, the casting was perfect and the whole feel of the movie was great.
I enjoy this too but did think it was bloated and indulgent

:D
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Airplane! is currently on Netflix so I rewatched it last night and noticed yet another gag that I had missed previously. Still awesome.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

DaveE wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:00 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:39 pm The Batman

I enjoy this too but did think it was bloated and indulgent

:D
Might've just been because I was expecting it to feel long, but I thought it kept going at a fairly good pace and although there was a lot going on in the story it still felt quite focussed.

Compared to other recent 3+ hour movies like the irishman and various other comic movies, it's the only one I've seen that really justified the run time.
An absolute unit
Barry

Post by Barry »

mik wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:29 am Despite my resistance, mrs mik convinced me to go and watch Jurassic Park - Dominion last night.

Run time 2hrs 27mins. We left after 1hr 5mins. I think that might be the second time ever I have walked out of a film? :?

It's probably not fair for me to rate it as we didn't watch it all. But it was turd.
Just managed to sit through the entire thing, went with a friend who's a big JP fan.

Please do not give this film any more revenue. Don't encourage them.
mik

Post by mik »

@Barry I am sorry. The Samaritans are always available dude.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Oof, that bad?
Barry

Post by Barry »

Pure box ticking, phone it in, badly scripted, inconsistent CGI, zero character empathy, insulting to the viewer, cash grabbing turd.

Even Goldblum couldn't be bothered to turn it on for the camera.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Dune

So boring I fell asleep. Barely an original thought in the whole thing. Achingly wanted to be the new Star Wars. Fantastic example of what happens when you put jewellery on in the dark, while drunk.

3/10

ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I really liked the new Dune

House if Gucci

I have a love hate relationship with Ridley Scott. He has made 2 of my favourite films but I think he is incredibly over rated.

This reinforces the argument tbh. First of all, having a movie almost entirely populated by italians while casting it with American and British actors doing ropey accents is just weird. Secondly it’s not that interesting a story to base a biopic on. Nothing new painted up with 80s and 90s nostalgia.

If you want a decent recent movie of his, watch the last duel.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

ZedLeg wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:40 am I really liked the new Dune
Me too, Gav’s just wrong
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Peterlplp

Post by Peterlplp »

I loved Dune. All the detail that went into the world creation gave it a feeling of weight, like things matter, unlike every Marvel movie for example.

The What We Do in the Shadows/Wellington Paranormal fanbase here might like this:

It has a similar dry bonkersness.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Finally got around to watching the Sparks documentary (on Netflix) the other day

Really enjoyed it

Even if you don't really know them, if you like music, I'd recommend it

They've been around for so long, done so much, have such huge influence on other musicians etc

Really really good
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

DaveE wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:11 pm Finally got around to watching the Sparks documentary (on Netflix) the other day

Really enjoyed it

Even if you don't really know them, if you like music, I'd recommend it

They've been around for so long, done so much, have such huge influence on other musicians etc

Really really good
ive never even heard of the Sparks, but I'm interested anyway because I see it's been done by Edgar Wright - who I am very much a fan of.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Just back from watching Maverick. Wanted to get my thoughts down whilst it's all still fresh in my mind and before I go to bed. Went to see it with my brother in IMAX (second time for him).

All I can think is 'wow'. Absolutely stunning.

When Tom Cruise introduced the Maverick trailer for the first time at Comic-Con 3 years ago, he described it as a 'Love letter to aviation'. I'd actually say that even more, it's a love letter to the first film. Despite there being a 34 year gap between the two movies, I was worried that it was too late to do a sequel. In retrospect that gap actually adds to the story, not detracts from it.

Having just introduced my wife to the first one at home, it was very fresh in my mind. It's clear that as they produced Maverick they likely had some scenes from '1' playing alongside the edit for '2', because some clips were frame for frame identical to the first one, particularly the way he turns his head as he gets out of the plane later on in the movie.

It was so epic that I think Cruise has now peaked. He's 60 now. He's sat on the top of the Burj Khalifa for fun, and jumped out of it and run across the glass whilst suspended on a rope, he's hung on to the side of an A400M as it took off, he's free climbed a huge rock-face just for a film intro, and now he's subjected himself and his co-stars to actual crazy, stressful flying like that. I don't see where he can go from here. My respect for his craft is endless and I'm thankful that he's managed to bring this story to our screens in this way. It would've been easy for them to CGI and green-screen a whole lotta this movie but instead they chose to go the extra mile and in doing so have made something human, authentic, respectful to the original whilst still standing on it's own as a story.

The more than 2 hours flew by. I want to see it again. It goes straight in to my top 5 of all time along with Shawshank, Dark Knight, Gladiator and Interstellar.

Edit to add. Not even a Miles Teller fan but found him great in his role in this.

Days of Thunder 2 next?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

The recent Empire spoiler podcast on Maverick was very good. Tom Cruise had no interest in doing the movie for years, but when they came up with the idea to call it Maverick and the fact its almost a character study of him with all his flaws, he agreed on the spot. They had a 30 minute pitch meeting with him while shooting one of the Mission movies and at the end of it he called the head of Paramount and said they were making the movie.

I don't think he's peaked yet @Simon, have you seen him jumping that motorcycle off a cliff and parachuting to safety from the new Mission movie?
Cheers,

Mike.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Maverick is one of those rare movies than I'll buy on Blu-ray when it's available. It deserves a rewatch.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Gavster wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:27 am Fantastic example of what happens when you put jewellery on in the dark, while drunk.

3/10

I had that happen to me when I got tangled up in the bath plug chain while sharing with a charming lady of questionable virtue.
Banal Vapid Platitudes