The Movie Thread

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by Ascender »

So, I quite enjoyed it, but I suspect watching it again having read about it online will be a very different experience. On another forum, someone also mentioned Primer (a movie I love) and having seen and understood that definitely helps. Plus, the oxygen masks and use of blue/red are great visual indicators as to what you're watching and what’s going on, so pay attention to those.

I did find some of the cuts a bit strange, where scenes just seemed to end and then you're straight in to the next one with the same character in a new location - maybe that was intentional or just where they'd trimmed things to get the length down. There was some definite James Bond vibes going on.

I'll be honest, I don’t see the massive clamour to see that in the cinema over watching at home, especially as its going to benefit from multiple watching - some of the dialogue is also very, very hard to understand. Compared to his other movies, this one hasn't grabbed me on a first viewing, but I suspect it will get under my skin more with repeated watches.
Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

The more I think about it, the more questions I have and the more confusing some bits of it gets...
Cheers,

Mike.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

I'll wait for a decent pirate steve release. Did you watch a cam, in the end? I nearly replied to say that I had never found a cam source to be watchable, but thought it sounded a bit arsey.

We have Office Space queued up for tonight...somehow this one passed me by despite being somewhat true to my life. 8pm after TDF of course!
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Ascender wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:37 pm Has anybody looked-for and found a decent copy of Tenet yet? The cam copy I found wasn't great, even by usual standards of these things. There's quite a few things been uploaded in the last week but no comments I can find, so I'm not sure if people are now just recycling the same old version.
And there was me thinking it will be a shame that I will not be watching it in a cinema
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

[mention]mr_jon[/mention] I totally agree with you on the cam thing. I think the last time I did that was with Phantom Menace all those years ago, but I wanted to go in to this film knowing nothing about it, but am starting to find it impossible to do that, just because of the internet. So I definitely wouldn't have taken it as being arsey.

I did find one which was better than the first one, was perfectly watchable on my 16" laptop screen. Audio was ok actually, but turns out its not great in the cinema, so I didn't feel bad for having to concentrate on it.
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I’ve started watching all of my DVDs in no particular order. I’m going to be documenting this epic voyage on Twitter (@TheCulljoy) if anyone fancies seeing me ramble on about old horror movies and westerns.
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:50 am I’ve started watching all of my DVDs in no particular order. I’m going to be documenting this epic voyage on Twitter (@TheCulljoy) if anyone fancies seeing me ramble on about old horror movies and westerns.
anyone?

😉
Last edited by Rich B on Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Got to do something to keep the working from home boredom at bay :lol:
An absolute unit
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Ascender wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:51 pm

I did find some of the cuts a bit strange, where scenes just seemed to end and then you're straight in to the next one with the same character in a new location - maybe that was intentional or just where they'd trimmed things to get the length down.
Makes you wonder if part of the Nolan magic is being deliberately hard to follow through editing > therefore smart.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Deliberately hard to follow is fine if the reward is a well considered, cohesive conclusion.

Nothing worse than films that are clearly just making it up as they go along with no coherent grand narrative.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I suspect with Tenet its one of those that you just need to go with and not scrutinise the details too much. It will definitely benefit from repeat viewings - there's not a massive amount of characters and timelines (like Dark), but having watched it, digested it, googled a few things, I'm ready to see it again.

If only I could buy a legitimate copy to stream...
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Le Mans ‘66 - late to the party with this. Enjoyed the story but shame it had a bit too much Hollywood bullshit drizzled on it. The in car shots were pretty cringeworthy and the cars being sped up so much they cornered and accelerated faster than a 2020 F1 car 😂
6/10.
How about not having a sig at all?
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:05 pm Le Mans ‘66 - late to the party with this. Enjoyed the story but shame it had a bit too much Hollywood bullshit drizzled on it. The in car shots were pretty cringeworthy and the cars being sped up so much they cornered and accelerated faster than a 2020 F1 car 😂
6/10.
Herecy! Cast the non-believer out!

I genuinely thought it was one of the best movies of last year.
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It felt like it was edited by the same chaps who did fast and furious. Miles going for an overtake, presses the throttle a bit more - car jumps 40 mph in an instant, *insert cringe in car comment* other driver presses throttle a bit, then other driver again presses the throttle a bit more. Instead of the 20 gear manual box we have an infinitely long throttle 😂
How about not having a sig at all?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:02 am Got to do something to keep the working from home boredom at bay :lol:
I await a technical review on Space Cowboys post haste!!

Dave!
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Smokey and the Bandit

This has not aged well at all but I have an urge for a Trans Am.

Smokey and the Bandit II

This has aged better. The plot is wafer thin and it doesn't matter at all. I still want a Trans Am. This is the first time I've noticed that it's a Turbo Trans Am with a 4.9 litre V8 producing an earth shaking 200bhp!
Banal Vapid Platitudes
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Watched a really good Turkish horror film called Baskin on Amazon Prime last night. Lots of gore and crazy imagery, would recommend.
An absolute unit
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:42 am Smokey and the Bandit

This has not aged well at all but I have an urge for a Trans Am.

Smokey and the Bandit II

This has aged better. The plot is wafer thin and it doesn't matter at all. I still want a Trans Am. This is the first time I've noticed that it's a Turbo Trans Am with a 4.9 litre V8 producing an earth shaking 200bhp!
Always makes you wonder how they got such little power from these engines.

I reckon you could build a 4.9l v8 turbot from Lego and would be produce over 200bhp.

It must take some serious effort to produce so little from so much.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

They never developed new engines for new emissions regulations and demands for better fuel efficiency. All they did was add increasingly restrictive intakes, cylinder heads and exhausts on the engines until they’d strangled the life out of them.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:50 am I’ve started watching all of my DVDs in no particular order. I’m going to be documenting this epic voyage on Twitter (@TheCulljoy) if anyone fancies seeing me ramble on about old horror movies and westerns.
Where does Death Hunt feature in you running order? ;)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…