The Movie Thread

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by Ascender »

Rich B wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:25 pm #Whisper: I'm a massive dumb and dumber (1) fan and I liked Dumb and Dumber To.
I think Dumb & Dumber is one of the funniest movies ever made.

I only watched the sequel once, maybe I should give it another go?
Cheers,

Mike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Ascender wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:48 pm
Beany wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:26 am Bill and Ted Face The Music

A proper fun wee movie. K + A obviously had huge fun making this, along with everyone else, and it shows and it's proper enjoyable, especially in these troubled times - a real antidote to the shitty news doing the rounds.

Definitely worth a poke and I'm glad it's a thing.

7 poorly framed time travel paradoxes because fuck you it's a movie out of 10
I've seen some pretty sniffy reviews of that but am still looking forward to watching it. I mean, it can't possibly be as bad as Dumb & Dumber To can it??
Do not talk of them in the same breath, you cunt.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Ascender wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:30 pm
Rich B wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:25 pm #Whisper: I'm a massive dumb and dumber (1) fan and I liked Dumb and Dumber To.
I think Dumb & Dumber is one of the funniest movies ever made.

I only watched the sequel once, maybe I should give it another go?
D&d is one of my favourite films, though I thought it was lame the first time I saw it! No point in saying you will definitely like the new one after another viewing, but I think it's a worthy addition that doesn't detract from the original (like that horrific one they did with younger actors...)
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I thought Bill & Ted was ok, but nothing more really. I didn’t have a problem with it being a sort of Greatest Hits package and i thought it was all very well done, especially on their limited budget. A couple of lols but generally it was just a nice slice of nostalgia Which I smiled at a lot. Really don’t understand the hate for it I’ve read elsewhere.

Watched Koko-di Koko-da last night and managed to sleep afterwards although the titular nursery song is still stuck in my head. A tale of grief and mild terror in a Groundhog Day sort of a way. Really enjoyed it though. 8 creepy music boxes out of 10.
Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I'm getting close to download a cam version of Tenet as its becoming impossible to not learn anything about it via social media and the internet in general. Should I try and resist? I wish they'd just release the thing to rent on streaming platforms....
Cheers,

Mike.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Dune trailer looks a bit of alright.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

mr_jon wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:56 pm Dune trailer looks a bit of alright.
Looks great! I really like his visual style and loved Arrival but have still not made it through Blade Runner 2049 without falling asleep.
Cheers,

Mike.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

That's a shame, I loved 2049. The original also had the same languid style. Also Arrival still gets me right in the 'motions.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

unzippy wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:56 am The Old Guard

Off Netflix. Enjoyed it in "brain out entertainment" mode. Looking forward to the sequel.

Also liked the London scenery shots.
I enjoyed this too. Was expecting it to be a bit cack, but I was pleasantly surprised.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Ascender wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:57 pm
Looks great! I really like his visual style and loved Arrival but have still not made it through Blade Runner 2049 without falling asleep.
I really liked 2049 even though I always hated Blade Runner. Liked all his other movies too. Really looking forward to Dune.
An absolute unit
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Funnily enough Blade Runner also has some qualities which put me to sleep - its not a slight on the movie itself, I think its a combination of the way its shot, the dialogue etc. Same for 2049, those first scenes where your man is flying out to track down the big fella from Guardians of the Galaxy... the flight there and back puts me to sleep. Even with the fight in the middle.

I finally made it through the original Blade Runner last year and was a bit disappointed in it tbh.
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Funny one this for me. On first watch, it was your typical Tarantino fayre. Beautiful visuals, brilliant music, unbelievably meticulous attention to detail...

But I didn’t really understand the story he was trying to tell.

However, I’ve watched it a few times again since and it gets better with each view. I’m still it sure on the story (splicing together the redemption of a Hollywood has-been with a what might have happened if the Manson people called next door) but ultimately, It doesn’t matter.

9 awesome Champion t-shirt and Moccasin combo’s out of 10
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:40 pm
I really liked 2049 even though I always hated Blade Runner. Liked all his other movies too. Really looking forward to Dune.
Visually stunning and first decent performance from Ryan Gosling not doing his faux look downwards to appear meaningful thing.

Stupid plot holes though.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Dune (not the new one)

Er, that was weird. I'm not sure if it was good or not because I got so drunk that I don't recall Sting oiled up in his metal hot pants - so I might have missed some plot points.

No score because....well, I think it's it's own thing.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

https://www.adweek.com/brand-marketing/ ... man-41088/

$69m dollars of concept cars in this shiznit. On Netflix and great :mrgreen:
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Beany wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:04 pm Dune (not the new one)

Er, that was weird. I'm not sure if it was good or not because I got so drunk that I don't recall Sting oiled up in his metal hot pants - so I might have missed some plot points.

The original was 9 hours long...
Beany

Post by Beany »

Zonda_ wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:41 pm

This one was knocking on three hours and that was plenty enough.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Beany wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:58 pm
Zonda_ wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:41 pm

This one was knocking on three hours and that was plenty enough.
Yes, it was never released.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Nathan wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:59 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:40 pm

Visually stunning and first decent performance from Ryan Gosling not doing his faux look downwards to appear meaningful thing.

Stupid plot holes though.
I liked Gosling in the Nicolas Winding Refn films he’s in and The Nice Guys. I’m not sure that I’ve seen him in anything else.
An absolute unit
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Has anybody looked-for and found a decent copy of Tenet yet? The cam copy I found wasn't great, even by usual standards of these things. There's quite a few things been uploaded in the last week but no comments I can find, so I'm not sure if people are now just recycling the same old version.
Cheers,

Mike.