The Movie Thread

RobYob

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by RobYob »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:19 am And let's not forget, Dark City is better... ;) :lol:
I remember Dark City being very cool at the time, no idea how it stands up decades later.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It’s still really good.
An absolute unit
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Rich B wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:35 am I never made it past the second matrix. It was definitely one of the worst films ever made.
Have you seen the Human Centipede?? Matrix 2 is way better 😁😁
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1917_2019

Appeared on Netflix today. Bit of a nailbiter obvs 😳
Simon

Post by Simon »

Watched "The Father" last night. Very strong. Anthony Hopkins plays a man who's losing his marbles and not trusting his daughter or carers. Wonderful pace, not too long and incredible performance by Hopkins and Olivia Colman. Definitely worth a watch, but for god sake put down your phones and pay attention!
The artist formerly known as _Who_
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

speedingfine wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:46 pm https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1917_2019

Appeared on Netflix today. Bit of a nailbiter obvs 😳
A big part of this is down to extensive use of an audio illusion called the Shepard Tone

Two rising tones that constantly fade in/out and overlap each other, giving the effect of a continuously rising tone - which gives a sense of never ending rising tension

Beany

Post by Beany »

The Parapod - A Very British Ghost Hunt

Yeah, 18 months later I get to go to the local premiere with Q&A etc :lol:

The premise is fairly straightforward - skeptic versus believer - but both are comedians, and one has taken an inflatable baseball bat to a gunfight.

I'm biased because I've been a fan of the Parapod for ages, but it's genuinely funny, has some real moments of tension, is nicely shot and has a good soundtrack. It cracks along at a good pace and just genuinely entertains you.

Recommend hunting it down if you like the look of the trailer - you can pre order on iTunes, and it's our on Google play etc as of the 27th.

Being as objective as possible, a solid seven bum pinches out of ten. It won't change your life but it will likely make you snort your tea or at several spots. Personally, it's everything I wanted from the project, really pleased for Mr Boldsworth and the long suffering Mr Dodds.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Beany wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:33 pm The Parapod - A Very British Ghost Hunt
This is now available on your Google Plays and your Amazon Videos and your iTunes in the UK.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Anyone watched The Green Knight yet? Reviewers seem to either love or hate it.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Watched it the other night. I thought it was great, my partner wasn’t so fussed. Not that helpful :lol:

I’d say if you’ve seen/liked A Field In England you’ll probably like it.
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

I’m about 18months behind everyone else, but finally watched 1917 the other night.

I hadn’t appreciated that “long shots” was a theme that ran through the whole film. Some of them breathtaking, and confusing (how TF did they do that without disturbing the water? Etc) but others felt a bit unnecessary.

Gritty. Tense. Moving. Not an easy watch at times. Enjoyed it a lot.
tim

Post by tim »

Yeah I thought that was a great film
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

If you want to get into an argument with a Nolan fan tell them you preferred 1917 to Dunkirk :lol:
An absolute unit
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

For the Anime skids aficionados.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Fast Saga 9 Furious

Supremely silly, but still fairly enjoyable. Right on the verge of jumping the shark but they seem to be getting away with it. If you liked the other recent F&F movies, it’s more of the same. Just disengage your brain and let it wash over you.
An absolute unit
Simon

Post by Simon »

Christ is this franchise still going?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

RESPECT, the Aretha Franklin biopic.

I think it was made by a real fan of Aretha because they did not want to cut anything out, and it basically finished at 1972. Two and a half hours, Jennifer Hudson doesn’t quite sing as well as the real deal; it’s a bit turgid to be honest.

Think about 5 out of 10 and what you’re trying to do to me.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Bond

Bloody awesome. All the classic hallmarks are in there. Go see it.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I thought The Green Knight was excellent.

All the family enjoyed Free Guy.

The Sparks Brothers was really interesting, even as someone who doesn't know much of their music, but I thought it was a bit too long.

Censor was great.

Supernova was nice.

Werewolves Within was surprisingly good fun.

Those Who Wish Me Dead was ok in a b-movie, standard conspiracy thriller way.

The Suicide Squad was very average. I really, really wanted to like it more, but apart from the odd moment I thought it was Gunn trying too hard to do what he did with Guardians but for those characters.

I enjoyed In The Earth - more Ben Wheatley madness with Reece Sheersmith on top, scary form as usual.

Road Runner the Anthony Bourdain doc was very interesting, again, as someone who hasn't seen a lot of his work it was good, but another tragic waste of a talent.

Reminiscence - Fell asleep. Which is a shame as Rebecca Ferguson is all sorts of wonderful.

I have Pig and Malignant to watch this weekend while I try to avoid Bond spoilers which I fear is a losing battle.
Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Many Saints of Newark is obviously compulsory viewing for anyone who loves the Sopranos. I really enjoyed it, but, its a bit all over the place and its not really a Tony Soprano-origin story. You get a few clues about where he gets some of his issues from, but its not the film I thought it was going to be. It does seem to be setting itself-up for more movies though and his son does a great job in echoing many of his dad's mannerisms and physical attributes. Vera Farmiga as his mum also does a great job of invoking the spirit of the character and her accent we know from the series.

Its a strange beast, maybe one I need to watch again. And it just ends. Which is also why I think we're guaranteed more episodes to this story. Or maybe it should have been a mini-series as I get the feeling that the 2 hour running time is only scratching the surface of what they filmed.
Cheers,

Mike.