The Movie Thread

McSwede

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by McSwede »

Rich B wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:45 pm I'm about 45 mins into Tenet and to be brutally honest, I can't hear what everyone's saying. Between whispering, talking with mouth full and a ridiculously loud background music (and no subtitles available) it's pretty much spoilt it to the point of maybe turning off.
But it's Christopher Nolan's new movie and everyone is supposed to love it!! FFS Rich how dare you criticise it. It's obviously far too clever for you 😂😂

I have little desire to see it if I'm honest.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

McSwede wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:54 pm
Rich B wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:45 pm I'm about 45 mins into Tenet and to be brutally honest, I can't hear what everyone's saying. Between whispering, talking with mouth full and a ridiculously loud background music (and no subtitles available) it's pretty much spoilt it to the point of maybe turning off.
But it's Christopher Nolan's new movie and everyone is supposed to love it!! FFS Rich how dare you criticise it. It's obviously far too clever for you 😂😂

i couldn't tell you if it's clever or not - everyone's just mumbling over dramatic drum synth background music! They could be reading out an episode of Thomas the Tank Engine for all I know!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Rich B wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:35 pm
McSwede wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:54 pm

i couldn't tell you if it's clever or not - everyone's just mumbling over dramatic drum synth background music! They could be reading out an episode of Thomas the Tank Engine for all I know!
😂 How annoying! It's really not appealing to me now. You shouldn't have to struggle to hear speech in movies. 😟
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Do.you know about all the surrounding bullshit around this? Before everyone posts it :lol:

My view is it's up to Nolan what he does I suppose. He's not being exclusionary as no bugger can hear it, not just the deaf. It does make him a wanker though.

PS turn the subtitles on Rich
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Rich B wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:45 pm (and no subtitles available)
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Rich B wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:59 pm
Is that an official copy? Shit if it is :lol:
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

speedingfine wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:22 pm
Rich B wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:59 pm
Is that an official copy? Shit if it is :lol:
yep, rented from my Sky Q box. I was pretty fucking annoyed when I found it didn't have any.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Oh that is a fucker mate. The conversation on the racing yacht is the ultimate 'are you taking the piss Nolan' moment for me
Simon

Post by Simon »

We had subtitles on our 'copy', and luckily we usually use them when watching a film together as otherwise the wife can't keep up. Good thing for Nolan's second 'true audio' film (Interstellar being the first as far as I'm aware).
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Couldn't gel with Tenet at all, bailed after an hour.

I love a post-apocalyptic or distopian film but wasted 2 hours of my life with The Midnight Sky.
Also a big fan of Adkins work, but no idea what he was thinking with Max Cloud. Yikes.
Peterlplp

Post by Peterlplp »

Maybe the Tenet sound thing is just with the streaming mix because it was awesome and clear in an imax theatre.
You could try 2 channel if it's an option - that often sorts out Netflix surround mixing disasters.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Peterlplp wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:46 am Maybe the Tenet sound thing is just with the streaming mix because it was awesome and clear in an imax theatre.
You could try 2 channel if it's an option - that often sorts out Netflix surround mixing disasters.
Huh?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Peterlplp

Post by Peterlplp »

I guess everything being turned up to eleventy in imax helped but now that I've read some of the kerfuffle it sounds like a perception thing.
I don't think a conversation should be crystal clear while dangling from a helicopter being flown into a jet engine with a machine gun in your mouth and for some reason an unseen symphony orchestra going hard.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Movies aren’t real life though. It annoys me when you can’t hear dialogue over background noise.

This is indicative of what I’ve ended up not liking about Nolan movies. He’s already had issues with people not being able to understand the dialogue in his movies. Having to redub Bane in the Dark Knight Rises and the issues with Interstellar.

He makes movies for himself and the movies he makes are becoming less and less interesting as time goes on.
An absolute unit
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I definitely seems intentional. The music is one thing but he even had Michael Caine awkwardly talking with a mouth full of food in on scene. He just looked uncomfortable doing it and you couldn't hear what he was saying properly so you just end up concentrating on what each word is/was rather than what he's actually saying.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Christmas movie time.
Yippee ki-yay motherfuckers 8-)
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

RobYob wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:23 pm Christmas movie time.
Yippee ki-yay motherfuckers 8-)
You're that excited by Noelle?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mik

Post by mik »

Matty wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:52 am
I love a post-apocalyptic or distopian film but wasted 2 hours of my life with The Midnight Sky.
I started watching that yesterday - gave up after about an hour - pure dribble. :?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I quite liked it as another instalment of George Clooney being sad sci-fi.
An absolute unit
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:04 pm I quite liked it as another instalment of George Clooney being sad sci-fi.
I was going to give it a go today, looks good despite some of the lukewarm reviews.

We watched Soul yesterday which was utterly brilliant. Uplifting, sad, inspiring, ethereal and with an amazing soundtrack. Highly recommended.

Even though I wouldn't say I was a Tolkein fan, I really like the LOTR movies. The first one still puts me to sleep with all the walking against relaxing backdrops but am now on to the second one. They look pretty stunning in 4K and there's so much more detail in the nighttime battle scenes now thanks to HDR, but it doesn't half show up some of the janky digital effects as having aged very badly.

Given the shitty weather, I think it might be the start of a James Bond marathon today - looks like they've also got the free upgrade to 4K on iTunes which is nice.
Cheers,

Mike.