The Movie Thread

JLv3.0

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by JLv3.0 »

When I see comments like that, ignoring the fact it's probably just the little shit trolling, it always reminds me there's something for everyone out there.

I remember going to a music thing here and David Gray was playing a set. Never loved him, never hated him etc so thought I'd wander over.

There were girls screaming at him when he was on stage, cheering, singing along, holding signs up saying "We Love You David" - still can't believe it now!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

There is a certain period charm to crap films like Happy Gilmore, Mr Deeds*, billy Madison, the waterboy and the wedding singer, but he hasn’t made anything remotely watchable this century.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Punch Drunk Love is the obvious exception to the "everything Sandler has done is utter dog shit rule". But how long ago was that?

I have heard a few people say that the new thing with Jennifer Anniston is "ok" and "not terrible". But I'm amazed at how he keeps getting cast and projects greenlit.

I watched the new Pet Sematary last night. I have a real soft-spot for the original movie - it was one I had on VHS as a kid and I think as cheesy as it is, stands up to repeated viewings quite well. I know that the new one has had poor to middlings reviews, but I still quite enjoyed it. I think I can see what they were trying to do by taking it in a different direction, but they just failed to pull it off. Lithgow is always entertaining and the cats were brilliant. There were a few scenes which I thought worked really, really well, but overall it was a bit patchy. I'd still give it 3 winces out of 5, if only for the fact they kept the achilles v scalpel scene in from the original.

Will give the book a read now - which is apparently 100 times more grim than the movies.
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Ascender wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:12 am Punch Drunk Love is the obvious exception to the "everything Sandler has done is utter dog shit rule". But how long ago was that?

I have heard a few people say that the new thing with Jennifer Anniston is "ok" and "not terrible". But I'm amazed at how he keeps getting cast and projects greenlit.
Like I said before, he produces his own movies and they almost always make money. He's also apparently really good to work with, the cast and crew all get paid well.
An absolute unit
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I take it all back. ALL OF IT.

Google his net worth and you will see why my previous opinion has been immediately and irrevocably retracted.

FOUR HUNDRED AND TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

7th richest actor in 2019 apparently.
How about not having a sig at all?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The real money is in producing. Vin Diesel and The Rock do it too, pump out pop trash as a producer and it's basically a license to print money.
An absolute unit
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Crazy right? I understand objective v subjective, but honestly am amazed at how many truly awful films seem to bring money in these days, especially when there's so much bad word of mouth about the true stinkers. Fair play to him though, his career has lasted ages and I guess his Netflix deal suits both parties.
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Everyone has the trash they enjoy, I’ve seen every F&F movie and most of the rock’s other films as well.

Stands to reason there will be some people that enjoy Adam Sandler movies. Although I don’t know how they’d watch them from their brain dead comas.
An absolute unit
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I read an article the other day about a guy who writes books and publishes them on Kindle. He started off by writing a self-help book, then a gardening book, followed by a recipe book. He realised it didn’t matter that he didn’t know anything about the subject, people bought them anyway. He now just writes the outlines and pays someone in the Philippines $50 to write the book, $5 for someone to design the cover and he knocks out 1 per week and takes in 6 figures. The journalist tried it themselves by plagiarising what they thought was an out of copyright book and made a couple of grand (turns out it wasn’t out of copyright so they deleted it later and gave the money to charity).

People will pay for any old shit.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The Marvel movies have grossed around $22bil in total. That's nearly $1bil a movie :lol:.
An absolute unit
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I'll generally find the good in any movie, but for me there's a difference between popcorn fodder/guilty pleasures/brains-out entertainment trash and movies which are just badly made or utterly without redemption. To be fair, those are few and far between, but there's a group of movies in the middle which I just don't see the appeal of and every time I watch one, it just reinforces my predisposed views!

Whether you like them or not, the Marvel movies have set a new benchmark for quality expected from a movie franchise. Out of 22 (or is it 23 now) from Iron Man, there's only been a few turkeys in there. And even those poor ones haven't been irredeemable. They've also made enjoyable, hit movies, out of fringe comic book characters like Ant Man and Guardians of the Galaxy. Its really interesting to see where they go next.
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Don't get me wrong I love the Marvel movies, I only put that in because there are some (very) vocal critics of comic movies around here :lol:.
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

👋🏻
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

The sheer number of comic book movies is what I’m vocally critical about. It feels at times like there’s nothing else being released. But the Marvel movies are very good, even if not my choice of genre (I thought Endgame was a fantastic movie and I loved Ant-Man, too).
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I think I've talked about it before but there seems to be a bit of a gold rush just now as TV and movie producers see what's happening with the Marvel movies and try to get a piece of the action. There are comic series that have been getting pitched for years that have suddenly been picked up and some truly bizarre decisions.

Netflix signing on Mark Millar to build his own series of superhero movies for them is one such decision. He's had some alright adaptations already, Wanted and Kick-Ass are based on his books and a fair amount of what went into the MCU was based on books he worked on. He's not clever enough to shoulder a whole series like that on his own though imo.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Finally got around to watching A Star is Born this evening...

Awesome, simply awesome.

5 whatever you wants out of 5
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

It is a brilliant film and I think Lady Gaga makes it
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Sounds like a musical. Fvck that
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:49 pm Sounds like a musical. Fvck that