The Movie Thread

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by Gavin »

speedingfine wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:21 am
Broccers wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:13 am Watched f9 last night. Brain out fun movie. Enjoyed it. Young Torreto brothers Finn Cole from Peaky 8-)

Having just been to Edinburgh some recent 'been there' moments.
Had Hobbs and Shaw recommended to me and enjoyed it, was most surprised! The humour made it, wasn't hilarious, but good enough to lift it above the usual FF fayre.
I saw that with my lad at the cinema as the film we had intended to watch wasn't on. Was a bit sweary for my 9 year old but it was the first of the ff franchise I had seen since the point break with cars remake that was the 1st one. I thought it was enjoyable nonsense although the whole of Samoa coming out with hoes and rakes at the end was a odd, although given the number of "family" memes with gravel voice boy, it may be a recurring theme.

I also saw Jungle Cruise/voyage/journey - Again enjoyable nonsense. Some decent stunts but a little pirates of the Caribbean on a rover so if you don't like the pirate ones, probably avoid.

Black Widow - really funny. I enjoyed it far more than I expected. The one liners "Oh, OK, I was going to talk about fallopian tubes" and similar in a Russian (ish) accent were laugh out loud for me anyway. The "Daddy" Ray Winstone was a great villain.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Ascender wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:09 am I still love Gravity and Sandra Bullock so refuse to hear a bad word about it.
Yeah me too - I don't think Gravity as bad people make out.

Sandra Bullock is superb in "The Blind Side" - deserved the Oscar
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:03 am
Ascender wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:09 am I still love Gravity and Sandra Bullock so refuse to hear a bad word about it.
Yeah me too - I don't think Gravity as bad people make out.
no, it was awful.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Gravity was pish.

Watched The Tomorrow War the other day. It was dumb, stupid but enjoyable brain out nonsense.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Gravity was scientifically inaccurate but beautiful and aurally delightful enough to forgive it's mistakes.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

What a load of Bullocks…
How about not having a sig at all?
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Mitchell's Vs The Machines perfectly crafted Pixar fare this is not. Madcap is best word I can think of. Really good family movie though. Lots of very short samples of great music but the movie never did still for long enough to settle into a groove.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Finally watched Parasite. It’s so sad I ended up getting the whisky out but what a great film.
How about not having a sig at all?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Brannen wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:15 am I went to the cinema on Monday for the first time in probably over 2 years, saw Suicide Squad. It was okay, some funny parts but bizarre story line. Don't think some of my mates were that keen on it, so probably not a must watch.
I saw this last night. Was impressed with the graphics and found it quite funny. I wouldnt have gone to the cinema to watch it either.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, I watched it last night and it was fine. James Gunn doesn't really put out any stinkers and white it's no Guardians of the Galaxy (which was lightning in a bottle) it's an enjoyable, clearly shot wee flick that takes its very silly premise just seriously enough to work.

I still don't understand what people see in Harley Quinn as a character though beyond the obvious, she's annoying as piss.

A very solid six rats out of ten, which I'm surprised by given I went in with literally all the expectations of hating it. I came out quite enjoying it overall.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Half way through The Irishman. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz fuck me it's dull.
Simon

Post by Simon »

:o
The artist formerly known as _Who_
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

McSwede wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:34 pm Half way through The Irishman. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz fuck me it's dull.
Yeah I didn’t get on with it either, despite it having all the ingredients for a great film. Lots of people seem to give up halfway through.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It’s a weird one, I watched it over a couple of days and liked it but I’ve no real urge to watch it again. Which is unusual for me with a Scorsese movie.

It feels like quite personal nostalgia for Scorsese, DeNiro and Pesci. Also they should have just cast other people to play the younger versions as the cg is really off putting.
An absolute unit
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

The Hobbit, while isolating I thought that after the sucess of the LOTR(EE) with the kids I'd have a go at at least the cut down fan edit of The Hobbit. I'd attempted to watch An Unexpected Journey years ago and was bored and annoyed at the massive bloat and weird style. The fan edit at least cuts three over two and a half hour movies to a single one four and a half hour one. It's still a bit bloated and could easily lose another chunk but it's at least watchable in two easyish sittings, still quite a disapointing effort in comparison to LOTR, well apart from the 20min or so with Smaug in the vaults which is good fun.

Thought I'd pick up the book again after not reading it since childhood. 30 pages in and you can you tell it was written a long time ago, the style feels quite odd.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

The Peanut Butter Falcon. On the been the other night.. Was alright actually. Shia Le Boeuf on form in it - not seen him in anything for some time. Does Hollywood consider him too weird or something?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

His partner took him to court over abuse in their relationship, he’s probably been keeping his head down since then.
An absolute unit
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Cuella.

Good fun, banging soundtrack and some cool old cars.
8 smashed up MK1s out of 10.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Took the lad to see Free Guy yesterday. It was Ryan Reynolds being his usual lovely self and the film was "slightly" more storied than I had expected. I laughed a lot and the lad loved it. Guy lives in suspiciously Fortnite world is an NPC who becomes self aware and it goes from there. Taika Waititi is a very good arsehole in it.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

No Sudden Move

8/10 cats

Worth a watch 8-)