The Movie Thread

mik

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by mik »

ZedLeg wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:37 am Army of the Dead

It was alright, as usual with Snyder films it was too long and the tone was all over the place. Dave Bautista was as watchable as ever though and when the story was being lighter it was good fun. When it was good it felt like Zombieland
I haven’t seen this, so can’t judge, but I am told this Screen Rant summary is (as usual) Bob-on. 8-)

Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Beany wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:48 pm I got around to watching Nobody, and quite enjoyed it. Yes, it's not dissimilar to John Wick, but takes itself a bit less seriously and with a bit more absurdity - it's slightly trashy fun and it knows it. Nice to see Christopher Lloyd can still enjoy himself in front of a camera, he steals most scenes he's in and looked like he had a whale of a time.

I'll say the team doing the special effects seem to have learned a lot since theJohn Wick stuff, too - the muzzle flashes and blood effects don't stand out nearly as much as they did then, so you can claim you're watching it for the technicals.

A very solid six out of ten. It's not exactly high art, but it's the best kind of high quality, violent popcorn fun.

Definitely worth a watch.
I agree. Really good.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

It was alright, as usual with Snyder films it was too long and the tone was all over the place. Dave Bautista was as watchable as ever though and when the story was being lighter it was good fun. When it was good it felt like Zombieland
Watched this last night. Found it fairly boring. Its like Synder was trying to combine Romero's style with Zombieland and hit neither mark.

A zombie film should be funny or fvcked up, or preferably both. I didn't laugh once and the gore etc was meh. What happened to the circular saw for example? So much early promise and it disappeared.

I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm not that fussed by Snyder films. Save for Watchmen, and his style of action shots with the focus on one person and the fast in and out of slow-mo rather than the usual chaotic mess of most films.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I managed about 10 minutes of "Army of the dead" 🙄
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

The first 10 mins were the best bit!

It was pretty confused as a film, like he wanted to do a load of specific scenes -

- assemble the team with varying pay
- the warehouse "go through the heist plan"
The daughter coming along
- the tiger
- the weird intelligent zombie that danced about like she was doing an expressive dance course
- the odd betrayal by the bad guy because the bad boss had a different plan

But none of them came to anything or affected the plot - it was all very odd.

Saying that, I watched it all and didn't hate it
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Aye, I have a pretty high tolerance for bad movies but I find Snyder movies more boring than anything else.

Watched Saint Maud the other day, pretty hyped psychological horror thing. I really liked it, will definitely be keeping an eye out for the director’s next movie.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:46 am The first 10 mins were the best bit!

It was pretty confused as a film, like he wanted to do a load of specific scenes -

- assemble the team with varying pay
- the warehouse "go through the heist plan"
The daughter coming along
- the tiger
- the weird intelligent zombie that danced about like she was doing an expressive dance course
- the odd betrayal by the bad guy because the bad boss had a different plan

But none of them came to anything or affected the plot - it was all very odd.
That is spot on!
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

mik wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:51 pm

I haven’t seen this, so can’t judge, but I am told this Screen Rant summary is (as usual) Bob-on. 8-)

We're now both addicted to watching these Pitch Meeting videos, they're spot-on.
Cheers,

Mike.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Bautista would have been better playing a zombie. The man cannot act and simply doesn’t have the chops for leading man. Some fun set pieces and an ok watch with a couple of beers but nothing more than that.
Beany

Post by Beany »

The Tomorrow War

Entertaining enough, bit further proof that Chris Pratt isn't a leading man. He just doesn't have the right kind of charisma for it. Or he's just choosing the wrong projects.

Five dragged out third acts out of ten.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Beany wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:01 pm [ bit further proof that Chris Pratt isn't a leading man. He just doesn't have the right kind of charisma for it.
I thought he was thoroughly likeable as a leading man in Passengers, and although the plots were mostly lame he was right for the GotG films as well as the Jurassic park films.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

To be fair, I'm half an hour in and the acting is truly terrible.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Beany wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:01 pm The Tomorrow War

Entertaining enough, bit further proof that Chris Pratt isn't a leading man. He just doesn't have the right kind of charisma for it. Or he's just choosing the wrong projects.

Five dragged out third acts out of ten.
I enjoyed it in a brain out kind of way, but I don’t think I’ve seen a film you could pick plot holes in quite so easy
Spoiler
So you believe the people from the future that there’s a war and you need to send people into the future to basically die. But you don’t believe the ones who’ve come back and told you the enemy is already here and you could stop this whole war now?

You need to make a shit ton of toxin but it turns out a good old explosion would have worked all along?
And there’s way more than that
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

We watched E.T. last night (it's on Netflix at the moment)

A really great film IMO (probably influenced by me watching it as a kid and having fond memories)

It moves along much faster than I remembered, and I'd totally forgotten the first few minutes of it
Beany

Post by Beany »

Rich B wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:32 pm To be fair, I'm half an hour in and the acting is truly terrible.
I genuinely thought it was a Discount Chris Pratt for a solid forty five minutes of the film.

Ok, I'll redo my assertion - he's not much use as a leading man in a film where he can't be expected to be cracking wise every five minutes and it actually fits in context (ie GoTG)
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Beany wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:14 pm
Rich B wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:32 pm To be fair, I'm half an hour in and the acting is truly terrible.
I genuinely thought it was a Discount Chris Pratt for a solid forty five minutes of the film.

Ok, I'll redo my assertion - he's not much use as a leading man in a film where he can't be expected to be cracking wise every five minutes and it actually fits in context (ie GoTG)
I got bored and stopped the film about 45 mins from the end. I'm not even curious to see how it ends!
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

My Name is Dolomite on Netflix was a recent one I enjoyed. Based on a true life story of a chap, quite interesting and also pretty funny in parts.

7/10
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Rich B wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:43 pm
Beany wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:14 pm

I got bored and stopped the film about 45 mins from the end. I'm not even curious to see how it ends!
See my previous post, you’ll get the gist
mik

Post by mik »

Fuck. Finally watched Dr Sleep tonight. Totally gripped. 9.5 shines out of 10. 😎
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

mik wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:21 am Fuck. Finally watched Dr Sleep tonight. Totally gripped. 9.5 shines out of 10. 😎
Its great isn't it? I was so surprised by how "under the radar" this one went. The Director's cut is supposed to be brilliant too.
Cheers,

Mike.