The Movie Thread

Zonda_

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by Zonda_ »

Rich B wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:31 am
Zonda_ wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:10 am
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:34 pm I keep meaning to watch Soul. I was reminded last night as we started watching Lupin, and Omar Sy is cast in Soul.
Other half is at work till half ten tonight so I think I’ll give this a watch.
Surely Soul is a "watch with the missus" type film?
I’ve suggested it a couple of times and she’s shown no interest.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Justice League - Snyder Cut
If you've ever wondered what Zack Snyder feverishly, yet impotently, wanking himself off to his own reflection in a full height mirror for four hours would look like, this is your answer.

More slow mo!
More moody looks!
More Christ symbolism for superman!
And So. Much. More. Unnecessary. Bloat. Like what felt like a three minute scene of Alfred fussing over how Wonder Woman makes tea. Ok, it might not have been several minutes long in reality but fuck me did it feel like it.

This film badly needed a competent editor to cut probably a literal hour of genuinely useless crap out of it.

And the film is no better for any of it, honestly. If anything, it's just a slog to watch.

Don't waste your time, and again, at four hours long, it's a lot of time to waste.

Four (hours) out of ten that I'll never get back. I'd rather have reached Howls Moving Castle a few times, at least that is engaging and visually pleasing.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:34 pm I keep meaning to watch Soul. I was reminded last night as we started watching Lupin, and Omar Sy is cast in Soul.
Especially when Commando is also on Disney Plus.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

speedingfine wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:34 am

Especially when Commando is also on Disney Plus.
Commando as in the 80s Arnie film?
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Coming to America 2, some good funny moments, but mostly very bland, with a smattering tediously boring moments.
Would be worth watching an edit of 30-40minutes of the best parts.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Beany wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:36 am Justice League - Snyder Cut
...Savage Beanbagging...
I was intrigued as the first reviews are fairly upbeat. The DC movies have been so *hit and miss though.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Beany wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:36 am Justice League - Snyder Cut
If you've ever wondered what Zack Snyder feverishly, yet impotently, wanking himself off to his own reflection in a full height mirror for four hours would look like, this is your answer.

More slow mo!
More moody looks!
More Christ symbolism for superman!
And So. Much. More. Unnecessary. Bloat. Like what felt like a three minute scene of Alfred fussing over how Wonder Woman makes tea. Ok, it might not have been several minutes long in reality but fuck me did it feel like it.

This film badly needed a competent editor to cut probably a literal hour of genuinely useless crap out of it.

And the film is no better for any of it, honestly. If anything, it's just a slog to watch.

Don't waste your time, and again, at four hours long, it's a lot of time to waste.

Four (hours) out of ten that I'll never get back. I'd rather have reached Howls Moving Castle a few times, at least that is engaging and visually pleasing.
Who saw that coming eh?

I'm amazed the studio indulged him so much with this and if the rumoured costs are true then it seems like utter insanity although maybe they were banking on all the publicity turning in to more signups for HBO Max.

He's a very inconsistent director and a frustrating one because I've really enjoyed some of his movies - 300, Watchmen and his Dawn of the Dead Remake was way better than could ever have been expected, but given those are all from prior books/movies, maybe that's the key to getting a decent movie out of him.
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I watched the Snyder Cut last night and surprisingly didn't hate it. I think going in with my expectations at rock bottom helped.

Still don't understand why it's in 4:3 and the last half hour can pretty much be avoided, it's all just fan service. Liked the rest of it better than the original though.
An absolute unit
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

I Care a Lot: an absurd storyline but really enjoyed it. Worth a watch on Prime.
M235i
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:08 am I watched the Snyder Cut last night and surprisingly didn't hate it. I think going in with my expectations at rock bottom helped.

Still don't understand why it's in 4:3 and the last half hour can pretty much be avoided, it's all just fan service. Liked the rest of it better than the original though.
Yeah, I watched it at the weekend. It was hit and miss, some of the extra background I thought was good and it seemed to do a far better job of ushering in future films but it felt a bit samey with the whole "Get the armada" similar to Thanos' "I'll do it myself" or whatever it was he said.

They cut a lo of the humour out but then DC should be darker I guess. Will be interesting to see if the new Batman film kickstarts interest in the franchise.

Whether you like Marvel or not, they did a good job of bringing characters in so you were not left out if you are not a comic fan.

Overall I think I liked bits of it more than I did the original but not sure it was really worth the effort, maybe they will do a cut of both.... :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Gavin wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:38 am
Yeah, I watched it at the weekend. It was hit and miss, some of the extra background I thought was good and it seemed to do a far better job of ushering in future films but it felt a bit samey with the whole "Get the armada" similar to Thanos' "I'll do it myself" or whatever it was he said.
TBH the characters are so similar in concept that there was always going to be some crossover. Thanos was heavily inspired by Jack Kirby's New Gods stuff at DC.
An absolute unit
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:43 am
Gavin wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:38 am
TBH the characters are so similar in concept that there was always going to be some crossover. Thanos was heavily inspired by Jack Kirby's New Gods stuff at DC.
Ah, yeah, it is comic book stuff (graphic novel?). I did read "The Dark Knight", the only book of it's kind I have read to date and it was really dark as I had seen the TV series Batman & Robin and Michael Keaton films.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, if you want to read more of what Darksied is about read New Gods stuff. There’s loads of it, my personal favourite is a book from a few years ago called Final Crisis but that might be a bit confusing to jump straight into.

The original stuff is good and Jack Kirby is one of the all time great comic artists.

Thor Ragnarok was based on his style as well.
An absolute unit
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Nobody. It's so much like John Wick, but lacks that panache and style. Still, an enjoyable action flick and Odenkirk played it well.

Started watching Jiu Jitsu but gave up....my word. Awful. Tony Jaa deserves better, and so does Nick Cage. They both must have been desperate.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Matty wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:10 pm Nobody. It's so much like John Wick, but lacks that panache and style. Still, an enjoyable action flick and Odenkirk played it well.

Started watching Jiu Jitsu but gave up....my word. Awful. Tony Jaa deserves better, and so does Nick Cage. They both must have been desperate.
Just finished Nobody and I thought it was great fun and Odenkirk was superb in it. Great to see the success that's come to him later on in his career.

Its a brains-out, John Wick-style action movie and is about 90 minutes long. Well worth a watch. Nice soundtrack too.
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

I was on my own yesterday evening so idly stuck on Stowaway

Reasonably entertaining (although the story behind the presence of the stowaway was pretty weak), but a bit slow moving at times. Some good simulated zero-G sections.

6.5 available crew meals out of 10 required.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, I watched that the other night.

As you say it was pretty good but it just kind of stopped :lol:
An absolute unit
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I'll be annoyed if Nobody was responsible for delaying filming of the new series of Better Call Saul
Ascender wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:13 pm
Matty wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:10 pm Nobody. It's so much like John Wick, but lacks that panache and style. Still, an enjoyable action flick and Odenkirk played it well.

Just finished Nobody and I thought it was great fun and Odenkirk was superb in it. Great to see the success that's come to him later on in his career.

Its a brains-out, John Wick-style action movie and is about 90 minutes long. Well worth a watch. Nice soundtrack too.
tim

Post by tim »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:18 am Yeah, I watched that the other night.

As you say it was pretty good but it just kind of stopped :lol:
I’ve just watched this and I was suddenly looking at the end credits and wondering if I had fallen asleep and missed half the story.

Umm 5 out of
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Let Him Go - pretty good but a little bleak. Few plot holes but enjoyable over all. 7 Superman’s patents not being Superman’s patents out of 20

Three Days of the Condor - classic 70’s espionage fare. Faye Dunaway falls for him a bit to easily IMO but hey, it was the 70’s.

8 dead CIA operatives who aren’t field agents out of 10

Pet Cemetery the new one. Don’t bother. The original is much better.

3 zombie cats out of 10
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…