The Movie Thread

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by Ascender »

Pig is very good, as-is Mandy and Color Out Of Space. He does love himself a good trashy B-movie and occasionally they're excellent.
Cheers,

Mike.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Just watched Ghostbusters Afterlife, I knew it would be good after the Guardian slated it but I really enjoyed it and the way they handled Harold Ramis was very touching. Wonder how much Sigourney Weaver got paid...
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Nobody

Bob Odenkirk get's his own John Wick/Taken style movie. Was really great, much better than I expected tbh. Probably my favourite of this type of film, had some good laughs too.

One Shot

Scott Adkins is about my favourite action movie actor at the moment so I'd been looking forward to this and it didn't let me down. The conceit is that it's one continuous take and it pretty much works. Some great action and you don't really notice where shots change. Worth a watch if you're a fan of old fashioned action movies.

Both of these are on Sky/Now TV
An absolute unit
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

jamcg wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:15 pm The Rescue- Disney plus

Documentary film about the rescue of the Thai football team from the flooded cave in 2018- uses actual footage from the time plus some re-enactments

Very well made, tells the story of all the politics and bits hidden from the news at the time. Definitely worth watching
Watched this yesterday, a must watch IMO. Incredible stuff and yet another triumph for weird men in sheds 8-)
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The Last Duel

Best Ridley Scott film since Gladiator imo. Great performances from Matt Damon, Adam Driver and Jodie Comer and the duel itself is tremendous.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

The Power of the Dog

I wasn’t sure what to expect to be honest - these sorts of Oscar, multiple nomination films can be sometimes brilliant, sometimes self indulgent twaddle. This is somewhere in the middle but I really enjoyed it.

It’s the sort of film you can ‘look at’ as much as watch. The way the landscapes are captured and the way tiny incidental segments are added is marvellous and the soundtrack just adds to it.

I’m not convinced by Cumberbatch in this one. The acting’s fine but the accent grates a bit. Not sure he deserves his nomination but Kirsten Dunst does. Ending was not expected

7 ropey ropes out of 10
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:22 pm

Scott Adkins is about my favourite action movie actor at the moment so I'd been looking forward to this and it didn't let me down. The conceit is that it's one continuous take and it pretty much works. Some great action and you don't really notice where shots change. Worth a watch if you're a fan of old fashioned action movies.

If you haven't had a chance, watch The Debt Collector/Debt Collectors, they're great. Big fan of Adkins work...he's not got the acting chops to really make it mainstream but he still does some great stuff.

But not Max Cloud. Jesus, what was he thinking... :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

New invisible Man.

Yeah that was pretty feckin tense at times. :?

8/10 you can’t prove nothing my rating was never heres.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Matty wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:04 am
ZedLeg wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:22 pm

If you haven't had a chance, watch The Debt Collector/Debt Collectors, they're great. Big fan of Adkins work...he's not got the acting chops to really make it mainstream but he still does some great stuff.

But not Max Cloud. Jesus, what was he thinking... :lol:
Yeah, the Debt Collector movies and Avengement are what turned me on to him in the first place.

I think my favourite of his is Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning. Absolutely insane film making.

He has made some utter shite though. Dead Reckoning is another one to avoid.
An absolute unit
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

While we’re on low budget action. Xtreme on Netflix

Spanish martial arts movie. Story is nothing special, man wreaks bloody revenge on the people who wronged him. The guy who plays the main character is a beast though and there’s some amazing fight choreography.
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

mik wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:26 am New Invisible Man.

Yeah that was pretty feckin tense at times. :?

8/10 you can’t prove nothing my rating was never heres.
Mrs mik missed this the other night so we ended up viewing it again last night!

A/ it’s much less tense 2nd time around 😁 Some or the background tracks reminded me of the Chernobyl series. Very effective.
2/ mrs mik was climbing the walls a bit, and didn’t sleep properly last night :lol: :?
c/
Spoiler
the acting of Adrian Griffen towards the end is pretty sketchy - facial expressions like a low-rate Nick Cage
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:37 am New Invisible Man.

I've not seen it.
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:48 am
mik wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:37 am New Invisible Man.

I've not seen it.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The French Dispatch…

New Wes Anderson, hard to really summarise so I won’t try. It’s very good though, probably my favourite of his films now.
An absolute unit
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Memoria

Tilda Swinton in an art house movie about a person who hears weird noises and pursues them whilst travelling through Colombia. It's slow and I can't work out what it was really about, but by all means it was beautifully performed, produced and directed.

Also started watching the Sopranos, which is (this is not news) bloody good.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:57 am The French Dispatch…

New Wes Anderson, hard to really summarise so I won’t try. It’s very good though, probably my favourite of his films now.
im a big WA fan - I enjoyed it, but I prefer a more complete story.

The life aquatic remains my favourite WA (and not WA tbh) film!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

No offence intended Rich but I would’ve assumed that his movies were a bit too whimsical for you :lol:

I enjoyed the anthology structure of this one and the middle story about the artist with Benecio Del Toro was wonderful.

The Life Aquatic is good though, that and Grand Budapest Hotel are also favourites of mine.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

There will be Blood

Yes, I realise I’m about 15 years late on this one.

2 hours of cinematic mastery followed by 15 minutes of I don’t know what. The ending feels like the director had another hour or two of Daniel’s story to tell, the Studio said no, finish up now so he cobbled together an ending to the two main relationship arcs, neither satisfactory at all.

The acting is universally superb, particularly Daniel Day Lewis who really does inhabit every character he plays but overall, let down by the ending IMO

8 Barrels out of 10
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:28 pm No offence intended Rich but I would’ve assumed that his movies were a bit too whimsical for you :lol:

I enjoyed the anthology structure of this one and the middle story about the artist with Benecio Del Toro was wonderful.

The Life Aquatic is good though, that and Grand Budapest Hotel are also favourites of mine.
the artist story was the stand out for me.

I've been a big fan for years, I always make sure I see them at the cinema, This was the first for a long time that I didn't. Rushmore, royal Tenenbaums, Darjeeling ltd, all well up in my list of favourite films. I even went to see Seu Jorge performing the Bowie stuff in Portuguese In the Albert Hall a few years back!