The Movie Thread

jamcg

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by jamcg »

The Rescue- Disney plus

Documentary film about the rescue of the Thai football team from the flooded cave in 2018- uses actual footage from the time plus some re-enactments

Very well made, tells the story of all the politics and bits hidden from the news at the time. Definitely worth watching
mik

Post by mik »

ZedLeg wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:49 am
McSwede wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:57 pm
Beany wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:52 pm Don't look up

A bit heavy handed in some ways, depressingly close to reality in others, but otherwise entertaining.

Six giant comets or of ten.
We watched it last night and enjoyed it. Like you say, it was depressingly close to reality with politics and tech. It was good fun though with plenty of good performances from the all Star cast.

Yeah, was kind of like being clubbed to death by subtext but it had some laughs.

Going to rewatch the big short after everyone called me a fucking idiot for posting a bad review of it here :lol:
All of this. Very predictable outcome, but pretty absorbing too. Definitely enjoyed it and lots of guffaws.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:15 am
ZedLeg wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:49 am
McSwede wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:57 pm

We watched it last night and enjoyed it. Like you say, it was depressingly close to reality with politics and tech. It was good fun though with plenty of good performances from the all Star cast.

Yeah, was kind of like being clubbed to death by subtext but it had some laughs.

Going to rewatch the big short after everyone called me a fucking idiot for posting a bad review of it here :lol:
All of this. Very predictable outcome, but pretty absorbing too. Definitely enjoyed it and lots of guffaws.
if they'd cut Jonah Hill and Ariadne Grande entirely and made Mark Rylance a touch less ridiculous, it probably would have been better.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I liked it. Wife hated it. It's interesting how well it reflects society, 'fake news', the media and tech giants nowadays etc, whereas Armageddon and Deep Impact were simply 'there is an asteroid and it's gonna hit earth' and there is unity in trying to stop it. A very good perspective on current life and a relevant film for our times.

I also laughed when I saw they had made Mark Rylance look like Craig Federighi from Apple (familiar to those of you who watch their launches and keynotes):

The artist formerly known as _Who_
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Mark Rylance was basically giving the same performance he gave in Ready Player One

Although we did enjoy it...
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Doctor Sleep

For some reason I thought this was new, but it's from 2019

I enjoyed it more than i thought I would
mik

Post by mik »

Dr Sleep is great. I missed it at the pictures and it took ages before I got to see it on the small screen.

Currently watching The Green Mile. I always remember I like it, but every time I see it I see more. It’s an absolute classic for me. Fantastically done. 11/10.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

The director's cut of Dr Sleep is on Prime now, well worth a watch whether you saw the original cut or not.

I watched Malignant while on the turbo trainer yesterday and enjoyed the first half of it, although there's a thing that happens at which point you'll either go with it or switch it off/switch your brain off and totally disengage from it as its batshit crazy. I have to admit I did the latter, but still kind of enjoyed the overall thing although its a bit of a muddled mess and a wasted opportunity.
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Don’t Look Up - really is very good.

Very funny, very poignant in places. Brilliant cast.

10 out of 10 imo
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

The French Dispatch

Not sure what was going on story wise for large parts of the film, but I'm a big Wes Anderson fan, so I enjoyed the style and it kept my attention despite the jumping story. I definitely prefer his more story driven films though.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Ghostbusters Afterlife

Actually pretty good. I'm assuming the 'controversial' reviews and hot takes came from the usual screeching fanboys and imbecilic influencers who ruin fucking everything.

It's perfectly fine on the technicals, including some decent stunt driving of the hearse, the story is pleasantly serviceable, feels like it fits the universe, and it shows a perfectly reasonable amount of respect to the huge boots everyone wanted it to fill.

Which of course it doesn't, because the original Ghostbusters was the definition of lightning in a bottle that even the original cast couldn't repeat with thier own contemporary sequel FFS. Feels like it was made by people who cared though.

If you like Ghostbusters you won't be disappointed. If you're a Ghostbusters hyper fan you'll probably find things to pick at. If you're not a fan of Ghostbusters, you objectively and factually lack a soul and so your opinion is thus invalid.

Seven infrequent but thankfully mild cringes out of ten.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

No Time To Die

Really liked it. The most nostalgic feeling of the Craig Bonds, to the point that I got a bit confused about when some parts of it were set.

This is the only Bond they’ve given a proper character arc to and I think that they finished it really well.

Looking forward to seeing what comes next.
An absolute unit
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Rather annoyingly woke up at 5.30am this morning so went downstairs to watch something. Ended up watching The Blind Side. Not seen it in years.

Great movie with Sandra Bullock being superb. Even got some grit in my eyes on more than one occasion 😂. Well worth watching again and glad I did.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

No Time to Die - really enjoyed it. OK some parts were unnecessary but a great end to Daniel Craig’s turn as Bond.

And yeah, The Blind Side is brill. Sandra Bullock definitely deserved the Oscar for it
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Ghostbusters Afterlife… Exactly like Beany said, I thought it was fantastic fun. Lovely nods to the original all the way through and I thought the setting was a good idea, taking it out of the big city. The effects were well done and the a final cameo was spookily (no pun intended) brilliant - great effects. Its also not overly long, so didn’t outstay its welcome.

Of course it’s nothing new, just great entertainment. I’m even more stupefied by some of the early 1 star reviews I’ve seen of this. You’d need to have a stone cold heart to not enjoy it.
Cheers,

Mike.
teacherboy

Post by teacherboy »

Ascender wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:03 pm Ghostbusters Afterlife… Exactly like Beany said, I thought it was fantastic fun. Lovely nods to the original all the way through and I thought the setting was a good idea, taking it out of the big city. The effects were well done and the a final cameo was spookily (no pun intended) brilliant - great effects. Its also not overly long, so didn’t outstay its welcome.

Of course it’s nothing new, just great entertainment. I’m even more stupefied by some of the early 1 star reviews I’ve seen of this. You’d need to have a stone cold heart to not enjoy it.
Just watched tonight and 100% agree, made my wife cry at the end - also make sure to watch all the credits until the end 8-)
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

No time to die if you're not a Bond fan it certainly won't make you one. Too long. Ridiculous, but not in a fun MCU way. Incoherent story, meh FX, very very meh car content.

Rewatched Thor:Ragnarok and damn that's a fun movie, think it improves on repeat viewing.

Will be off to see Ghostbuster this week hopefully, expectations high :D
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Eternals

It was alright, great cast but the muddy cg visuals that are becoming standard for this type of movie really detracted from it imo.

Ancient alien tropes could do with disappearing too.
An absolute unit
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

The Father

Anthony Hopkins plays a proud man going through dementia. Its shown through his eyes and his families simultaneously. Utterly spellbinding performance from Hopkins. It was exhausting to watch in that you felt all of his confusion and frustration, so it's terrifying to think any one of us could suffer from it.

Struggling to find a single fault, so

10 chicken dinners out of 10
Cheers.

Gwaredd
mik

Post by mik »

That sounds good, but isn’t on Netflix. 😕