The Movie Thread

Shlergen

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by Shlergen »

unzippy wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:17 am Venom 2

I enjoyed it.

Love Stephen Graham's work although the scouse kept creeping through his american accent :lol:
Agreed, pleasantly surprised. Good watch.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Spiderman NWH have avoided all spoilers and I bloody loved it!

End extra bit 1 was good but end extra bit 2 was just a trailer for Doctor Strange 2.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

RobYob wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:11 am Spiderman NWH have avoided all spoilers and I bloody loved it!

End extra bit 1 was good but end extra bit 2 was just a trailer for Doctor Strange 2.
... is the correct answer! @Gwaredd you're The Grinch AICMFP.

I thought it was really well done with some good character arcs, some actual jeopardy due to what was at stake and they juggled all the characters well. They also still seem to be able to mix-in humourless lines and natural banter in a way which you see DC movies and Star Wars trying to do and it just falls flat.

Anyway, it must be Christmas because Lord of the Rings is now on. The first one usually takes a few goes to get through as all the walking puts me to sleep.
Cheers,

Mike.
teacherboy

Post by teacherboy »

Matrix Resurrections.

Familiar and strange at the same time, very meta.

Probably needs a couple of watches to get everything - special effects are pretty special in places and there are some familiar faces to smooth the journey and explain wtf is going on.

7 sentinels out of 10
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I was about to ask if anybody had watched the new Matrix movie yet. The reviews have been all over the place.

Worth watching the first one again first? I did see someone saying its worth watching that one and then just read the summaries of the next two crappy ones (although a few places recently have made an argument that the second one isn't as bad as its reputation suggests).
Cheers,

Mike.
teacherboy

Post by teacherboy »

Ascender wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:38 pm I was about to ask if anybody had watched the new Matrix movie yet. The reviews have been all over the place.
I'd suggest that younger reviewers won't have had the same visceral reaction to the first movies (i was early 20's) and won't be as scathing as older reviewers who expect more.

It is a little ...... woke - deliberately so but thats part of the "meta"
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Ascender wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:38 pm I was about to ask if anybody had watched the new Matrix movie yet. The reviews have been all over the place.

Worth watching the first one again first? I did see someone saying its worth watching that one and then just read the summaries of the next two crappy ones (although a few places recently have made an argument that the second one isn't as bad as its reputation suggests).
I thought it was great. Very entertaining and sparked thoughts again on control of lives.

9/10 👍
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

teacherboy wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:35 pm Matrix Resurrections.

Probably needs a couple of watches to get everything - special effects are pretty special in places and there are some familiar faces to smooth the journey and explain wtf is going on
I reckon you're right. Very good effects throughout. It wasn't too hard to follow if you've not seen the first one recently as you say 👌
Simon

Post by Simon »

Finally got around to watching No Time To Die.
Spoiler
Films and programs where they actually kill off the hero are starting to piss off my wife. See Jack Bauer too. What's wrong with just retiring him off somewhere with his girlfriend and daughter? I read that this is the reason that Boyle quit too, because he saw the idea of killing of Bond 'ridiculous'. I agree. They'll need to do a full reboot now in order to continue the series, which isn't something that's happened before.
Great film, terrible ending.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Watched it last week too and enjoyed it.
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

No Time To Die

Quite enjoyed it. With respect to the ending, IDGAF, the rights owners will do what the rights owners will do. Remi Make seemed to enjoy himself.

Six Island hideouts out of ten.

Matrix Resurrections

Felt a bit like a Greatest Hits album, but it doesn't feel out of place or weird. Decent action, the usual high school level philosophy, nicely shot, etc.

Didn't go quite as trippy as I was hoping, but still entertaining, and absolutely better than the previous sequels.

Six leather trenchcoats out of ten.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I started watching Matrix Resurrections yesterday and really enjoyed it - thought it was setup very well, referenced the old movies in an interesting way with the games developer angle. I think I'll go back and watch the original today then go back to it.
Cheers,

Mike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Don't look up

A bit heavy handed in some ways, depressingly close to reality in others, but otherwise entertaining.

Six giant comets or of ten.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Beany wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:52 pm Don't look up

A bit heavy handed in some ways, depressingly close to reality in others, but otherwise entertaining.

We watched it last night and enjoyed it. Like you say, it was depressingly close to reality with politics and tech. It was good fun though with plenty of good performances from the all Star cast.
Simon

Post by Simon »

When we list the films we review can we start putting where we see it? S , Netflix, Amazon, Cinema, TV, whatever so we can get a quick perspective on whether it's something we're likely to be able to watch?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

No Time to Die (DVD or Blu-ray)

Quite possibly the best Bond film I've seen. Less quip-y with more (relatively speaking) dialogue of better quality. Definitely worth a watch.

8/10 improbable shots
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

McSwede wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:57 pm
Beany wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:52 pm Don't look up

We watched it last night and enjoyed it. Like you say, it was depressingly close to reality with politics and tech. It was good fun though with plenty of good performances from the all Star cast.

Yeah, was kind of like being clubbed to death by subtext but it had some laughs.

Going to rewatch the big short after everyone called me a fucking idiot for posting a bad review of it here :lol:
An absolute unit
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Being confined to a bedroom means choice of tv so what film to watch tonight? I have the new Bond, Netflix and Amazon Prime.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

No time to die: Generally predictable but I really liked some bits and other bits descended into more of a fast and furious type bollocks than usual. The antagonists speech impediment annoyed me - sounded like he was severely constipated and on the verge of death whilst imitating Shmee…
Otherwise a bit too long for me. The ending is so stupid I’m just ignoring it :lol:

6 robotic eyeballs dropping out of 10

Side note on the cars of the show. I thought the advertising angle was funny, much was made of the new Defender in this but they didn’t seem to perform very well compared to the old Land Cruiser. Neither did the Range Rovers actually…
Wtf was that Valhalla tease all about, of course they didn’t actually do anything with it besides the static shot, it probably still doesn’t move under its own steam :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, that Valhalla is probably better finished than the 'customer' cars at this stage. At least that one probably doesn't pretend to be able to run...