The Movie Thread

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by Gavin »

Took the boy to see Hobbs & Shaw, was a bit swearier than I expected. I watched the first film way back and thought it was essentially Point Break with cars and never bothered with any of the sequels but this one looked totally silly and so it turned out to be.

I quite enjoyed it and the hate for each other that Rock & Turkish displayed was amusing. Got sillier and sillier as the film went on but the lad enjoyed it although he did come home and tell my wife it had "lots of swearing" so I got a glower. :)
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

The Great Hack

Interesting :D
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

If anything it proves finally and absolutely that it’s going to be apolitical tech bros that are going to smash civilisation into dust :lol:.
An absolute unit
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Two films over the weekend (missing the opportunity to see shows at any time in Edinburgh, so we booked a couple once home):
Yesterday - saw this at the Sherborne Cinema in Gloucester, which Jimmy might know. It's a converted Christadelphian hall and rather a lovely venue, though it was a bit warm so maybe better to visit in winter. Cheap tickets at £6 each (prime time Saturday night), doesn't take cards and doesn't show ads or trailers 8-) The film was quite good too, feel-good pap admittedly and you've probably seen the best bits in the trailers but I'm glad I saw it. 6 days a week out of 10.

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - saw this at a Vue cinema which was just being refurbished. The lobby was in a bit of a state but the seats were new and really nice, with humungous legroom. Oh, the film was pretty good; not exactly Pulp Fiction but then Tarantino is never going to reach those heights again, and there were plenty of little (and bigger) references to his other stuff and Hollywood as a whole to enjoy. Still don't like Di Caprio much but he didn't spoil it. Probably only worth a 7 out of 10 but I'll give it an 8 because Tarantino.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Watched Godzilla: King of the monsters last night. I wasn't expecting much after hating the first Godzilla and thinking Kong was just ok but I quite enjoyed it.

All the monsters looked amazing and they stuck to the silly lore of the series enough to make it fun. Didn't try and rationalise the giant monsters too much.

The people were pretty forgettable, full of folk you recognise from other stuff but can't remember their names. Charles Dance playing a silly movie villain for the first time in a while was good.

Not a must watch by any means but if you like a big daft monster movie it's a pretty good one.
An absolute unit
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:29 pm

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
That's on my list - apparently not brilliant but will see for myself :D
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Broccers wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:24 pm

I've seen quite variable reviews. No spoilers in them, nor from me, but I think it'd be worth watching just for Tarantino's cinematography. A refreshing change from CGI everything, even if he may well have used CGI to take LA back to the 60s.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:26 pm
Broccers wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:24 pm

I've seen quite variable reviews. No spoilers in them, nor from me, but I think it'd be worth watching just for Tarantino's cinematography. A refreshing change from CGI everything, even if he may well have used CGI to take LA back to the 60s.
I'm going to see it tomorrow so 🤞 it's ok.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I want to see it but with the censorship here, is it likely to have a running time of 15 minutes? Much in it that is likely to be cut? I'll wait for a decent torrent of it if so.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I've just booked VIP seats at an Empire cinema for £2.95 each. That's awesome!! It very much appeals to my Yorkshire sensibilities 😂😂
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I went to see it at the weekend. I really enjoyed it, but the plot and pacing aren’t the strongest. I didn’t think it felt very Tarantino at all, other than a few subtle trademarks of his. I want to see it again, because I’m not really 100% sure what to make of it. It’s far less sweary and violent than I expected 😂

DeCaprio and Pitt were awesome, though. That said, I was very disappointed by how 2 dimensional the character of Sharon Tate was. It’s like Tarantino wanted her to be a side character but because of her importance to the plot he needed to feature her more, but had no idea what to do with her.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:10 am I want to see it but with the censorship here, is it likely to have a running time of 15 minutes? Much in it that is likely to be cut? I'll wait for a decent torrent of it if so.
It's hard to answer that without spoilering, so I won't - but look back at this question after you've seen the proper release version.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

In that case I'll only see the unedited version 👍🏼
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:57 am In that case I'll only see the unedited version 👍🏼
There's talk of the "full" full version being put on Netflix as a mini-series. 4hrs+ I believe, with several of the characters fleshed out more than the film running time constraints permitted.
Beany

Post by Beany »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:38 pm Watched Godzilla: King of the monsters last night. I wasn't expecting much after hating the first Godzilla and thinking Kong was just ok but I quite enjoyed it.

All the monsters looked amazing and they stuck to the silly lore of the series enough to make it fun. Didn't try and rationalise the giant monsters too much.

The people were pretty forgettable, full of folk you recognise from other stuff but can't remember their names. Charles Dance playing a silly movie villain for the first time in a while was good.

Not a must watch by any means but if you like a big daft monster movie it's a pretty good one.
This.

Imagine if Pacific Rim had most of the colour drained out of it, and took itself a bit more seriously (although not too seriously).

It's pretty damned good fun if you like big monsters smashing the shit out of things, and they did good on the effects - Rodan flying over a city sucks people and cars up in his draft, etc. They knew what they were doing with this one and you get exactly what you'd want out of a monster mash movie and it feels like they really enjoyed making it, even down to the FX shots of the monsters; they clearly had some good visual ideas in mind and translated them to film well.

A quick scope of the internet (as I like to do after enjoying a film) suggests that if you're a proper Godzilla nerd, then there's lots of little easter eggs too.

A solid six demolished skyscrapers ten.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:05 am
JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:57 am In that case I'll only see the unedited version 👍🏼
There's talk of the "full" full version being put on Netflix as a mini-series. 4hrs+ I believe, with several of the characters fleshed out more than the film running time constraints permitted.
Interesting stuff, cheers Mike, will keep an eye out :)
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:05 am
I thought as I watched it that there were bound to be loads of really good cut scenes - as with Pulp Fiction.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:53 am I went to see it at the weekend. I really enjoyed it, but the plot and pacing aren’t the strongest. I didn’t think it felt very Tarantino at all, other than a few subtle trademarks of his. I want to see it again, because I’m not really 100% sure what to make of it. It’s far less sweary and violent than I expected 😂

DeCaprio and Pitt were awesome, though. That said, I was very disappointed by how 2 dimensional the character of Sharon Tate was. It’s like Tarantino wanted her to be a side character but because of her importance to the plot he needed to feature her more, but had no idea what to do with her.
I went to see this last night and found it to be an odd film. I agree with you on most points especially DiCaprio and Pitt, they were tremendous. Some parts of the film were great but some of it was a little tedious. The Tate/Polanski bits were an utter waste of time and felt like filler. What a waste of Margot Robbie.

Mrs McSwede was ready to leave after an hour but I'd paid our £6.90 so we weren't going anywhere! 😂

Standout moments were the recollection of the issue with Kurt Russell's wife, DiCaprio in the caravan and the final sequence in his house. They were brilliant.

I'll watch it again when it comes to sky but it felt baggy and too long really.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

McSwede wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:13 pm The Tate/Polanski bits were an utter was of time and felt like filler. What a waste of Margot Robbie.
Y'see, I thought they were excellent and could have been longer. Whereas showing us a western with Di Caprio in it left me bored.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Interesting, I suspected they were rinsing the PR on this a bit much