The Movie Thread

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by Rich B »

In a week of inferior remakes of 80's Arnie films, Prey was significantly better than Gray man, but still felt kind of pointless. The story was EXACTLY as you'd expect after watching the first 5 mins. No surprises whatsoever, nothing original, nothing new.

I thought it was ok, but I'll probably forget i'd even seen it within a week.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah that's a solid 6/10 for me. Played basically totally straight, historically interesting (I won't say accurate, I have no idea :lol: ) but uses it's setting well and doesn't fuck about.

I won't say make an evening for it. But totally worth a look if you've got a free couple of hours and fancy something a bit different.
No stupid jokes, no pandering to the originals (i think there were two shout out to the originals, and even they made decent sense in context), nicely shot, decent fight choreography, etc.

I like it.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Enjoyed lightyear, adds a little bit of backstory to why Andy would want a buzz lightyear toy.
Spoiler
The real buzz using actual lines from toy story was very nostalgic too. I want a talking robot cat now.
tim

Post by tim »

The Batman

Since it was down to a fiver on Sky Store I watched this last night. I really enjoyed it, 2hr 50m long but didn't feel overly long. Very dark and brooding as you'd want from a Batman movie, but still quite unlike the others. More in the general style of Joker I thought, which is a good thing. Robert Pattinson did look like he'd escaped from a My Chemical Romance tribute on occaison, but he did a good job of it.

8 catwomen out of 10.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

tim wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:50 am The Batman

Since it was down to a fiver on Sky Store I watched this last night. I really enjoyed it, 2hr 50m long but didn't feel overly long. Very dark and brooding as you'd want from a Batman movie, but still quite unlike the others. More in the general style of Joker I thought, which is a good thing. Robert Pattinson did look like he'd escaped from a My Chemical Romance tribute on occaison, but he did a good job of it.

8 catwomen out of 10.
We watched it last night and loved it. Great use of Nirvana track too. Better than expected and we liked the lack of gadgets and silly modes of transport. Pattinson was superb.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

We watched Thirteen Lives today, the new Ron Howard movies about the rescue of those Thai boys from the cave complex and its one of the most tense moves I've watched in a long time, even though I knew the outcome. Very well made and worth a watch on Amazon Prime.

If you do watch it, its definitely also worth watching The Cave, the documentary about it which is on Disney+.

As for cave diving, fvck that.
Cheers,

Mike.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Lightyear - appeared on Disney + so watched it with my boyo. Enjoyed it more than I expected I would, enjoyable way to sit and disengage for 90 odd minutes.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Moonfall

Right, I’m a big fan of Roland Emmerich movies. I accept that they’re shite but I love them anyway.

However this one was not great. It plodded along by the numbers and ended up getting bogged down in it’s own back story.

It’s been a while since there’s been a really good big budget natural disaster movies. It’s a shame as the genre is one of my favourites.
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

The Adam Project.
Very middling, very Ryan Reynolds. It was fine.

Five half-arsed excuses for paradox avoidance out of Ten.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Two films watched over the weekend to avoid being out in the heat:

Nope
A Jordan Peele movie, not my usual thing but it was fantastic. Probably made more enjoyable by not knowing anything about it, so don't read this:
Spoiler
I don't do suspense films or sci-fi or animal movies really so it was a surprise to find how enjoyable this was. Some small nods to great films, including a couple to Tarantino. Really well acted, stylish and gripping. The title isn't even overused as I anticipated.
House of Gucci
Really wanted to see this from the trailer but it wasn't on when I was free, so paid for it on the hotel on-demand service. I know it got some tepid reviews and is a bit long but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. Some great cars in it too, very stylish again and Gaga is annoyingly good at acting. Probably only one to watch if you think you'd like it though.
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:46 pm
Nope
A Jordan Peele movie, not my usual thing but it was fantastic.
We almost went to see this at the weekend - I love Get Out - but the Odeon we planned to go wanted £19 a seat - so £57 for 3 people. Fuck that.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I think we paid £27 for two of us at the Everyman in York. Though we spent a bit more by eating at the Spielburger in there, which was really rather nice. Shame the lighting in the cinema makes it bloody hard to eat at your seats though.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I'm looking forward to Nope, I can't be arsed with the cinema anymore though. The pandemic killed the last of any interest I had in watching a movie in a big room full of arseholes.

I've got a big screen and a decent sound system at home.
An absolute unit
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I love the new style of cinema with space to stretch out, get a drink etc. And I seem always to go when there’s virtually nobody else in there.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

tim wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:50 am The Batman

8 catwomen out of 10.
I thought he did a fantastic job. The problem with Batman films is that they have made so many you start comparing them while you watch the film, not with this one though.

Apart from the Maserati being smashed about and having no damage and the weird engine in the batmobile I couldn’t fault it at all.

Dave!
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Not a movie but sure to become one, Heat 2 the novel is out and getting very good reviews. Written by Michael Mann
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

ZedLeg wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:53 am It’s been a while since there’s been a really good big budget natural disaster movies. It’s a shame as the genre is one of my favourites.
Mine too - although any disaster movie will do - natural disaster or not.

I prefer the "Normal people trying to survive" sub genre, rather than the "Gung Ho hero's flying off into space to re-start the sun" types. and these are quite often in the rubbish category

Signs - Family hide from Aliens in their basement rather than weapon up and take them on.
War of the Worlds - Normal guy just wants to get his kids back to his ex wife so he's not the blame, rather than taking them to somewhere else that's safe and hide it out.
Greenland / 2012 - Father trying to get his kids to safety - nothing else for it.

All 4 are widely panned (although personally I stand over Signs which isn't as bad as people make out IMO)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I hated the Spielberg War of the Worlds as it’s one of my favourite stories and I really didn’t like what he did with it.

Love 2012 though, John Cusack saves his family in a world that physics forgot :lol:
An absolute unit
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:07 am
ZedLeg wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:53 am It’s been a while since there’s been a really good big budget natural disaster movies. It’s a shame as the genre is one of my favourites.
Mine too - although any disaster movie will do - natural disaster or not.

I prefer the "Normal people trying to survive" sub genre, rather than the "Gung Ho hero's flying off into space to re-start the sun" types. and these are quite often in the rubbish category

Signs - Family hide from Aliens in their basement rather than weapon up and take them on.
War of the Worlds - Normal guy just wants to get his kids back to his ex wife so he's not the blame, rather than taking them to somewhere else that's safe and hide it out.
Greenland / 2012 - Father trying to get his kids to safety - nothing else for it.

All 4 are widely panned (although personally I stand over Signs which isn't as bad as people make out IMO)
I watched Signs at a cinema in New York, the way Americans react to things is very odd, shouting, cheering, screaming. It was like it was a live performance.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:25 am Love 2012 though, John Cusack saves his family in a world that physics forgot :lol:
Indeed... :lol:

I think Dara O'Brien summed up the ending best... "What happened to all the fucking neutrino's ???" :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…