The Movie Thread

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by Ascender »

Valkyrie with Tom Cruise popped up on Prime - it was a really interesting watch, very tense and a great cast. I didn't realise McQuarrie directed it and I never knew the details of the plot in terms of just how much prep they'd put in to staging a coup off the back of it. And yo have to give it to them, those Nazis were pretty smartly dressed.

The boy wanted to go to the cinema on his birthday as the weather was goddam awful, so he chose Spiderman Far From Home which was a whips-mart teen movie about a high school trip, friends, girls and a pesky supervillain. Both the kids loved it and I thought it was really good fun with some nice nods to 80s movies of a similar ilk.
Cheers,

Mike.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Ascender wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:44 am Valkyrie those Nazis were pretty smartly dressed
Hugo Boss
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Valkyrie is a fantastic film and one of Tom Cruises best.

Dave!
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I just noticed that "The Big Bus" is on Netflix

Can't wait to watch that again :)
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

I hadn't heard of this until I saw an article on Autocar, the story of the Indycar medical team.

An amazing story I'm sure but it'll probably be as traumatic to watch as "Grand Prix: The Killer years" so may wait for home release.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Anna

Luc Besson phones in a Nikita remake, basically. Cillian Murphy and Helen Mirren are massively over-capable for the roles they had to play, Russians behave like Russians, the super-hot lead is super-hot and despite weighing 50 kg max is capable of incapacitating scores of hardened Russian henchmen / thugs using just broken plates, and so on.

I didn't begrudge the time spent watching it, but after a while the "hang on that makes no sense oh hang on they're doing an "x months earlier" timeslice to explain it" gets a bit old and it all just feels like no-one really gave a crap about the film. Also it can't work out how serious it wants to be.

5 out of 10, I suppose.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I feel like Luc Besson has just been going through the motions for years.

He’s not directed a film I’ve really liked since the 90’s and the last decent film he wrote was probably Taken.
An absolute unit
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Message to Luc Besson:

"we get it mate, you like hot, deadly chicks. Move on now eh"
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Chasing Bullitt

Sort of Steve McQueen biopic, loosely based around him hunting down the ‘68 Mustang GT390 from Bullitt.

Andre Brooks as McQueen is very convincing, in some shots he could actually be McQueen. But the film itself is a bit dull, it feels a bit like it’s made by a talented film student who is a massive McQueen fan. It’s very talky but doesn’t really go anywhere. It’s just all a bit unsatisfying.

5 escaping hubcaps from a fleeing Dodge Charger out of 10.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Ad Astra

Brad Pitt and Tommy Lee Jones (plus a nice cameo from Natasha Lyonne who was in Netflix's "Russian Doll") in a kind of 'Apocalypse Now in space' movie.

I really enjoyed it.

Highly recommended.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Watched John Wick 3 last night.

More of the same and incredibly silly. Good fun though.
An absolute unit
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:44 pm Watched John Wick 3 last night.

Yep, I watched it yesterday too. Better than 2 with some ridiculous, close up gore.
Cheers,

Ian
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:44 pm Watched John Wick 3 last night.

Halle Berry is still 8-)
M235i
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

I've said before, but the knife fight in JW3 and the follow up with the horses is some next-level shit. Incredibly well done action.
DaveE wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:39 pm Ad Astra

Brad Pitt and Tommy Lee Jones (plus a nice cameo from Natasha Lyonne who was in Netflix's "Russian Doll") in a kind of 'Apocalypse Now in space' movie.

I really enjoyed it.

Highly recommended.
I was quite keen on this, but the audience score on RT is on its arse, and forum comments back that up....yet oddly, critic sores are high. Strange. Will definitely check it out anyway.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Matty wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:21 pm I've said before, but the knife fight in JW3 and the follow up with the horses is some next-level shit. Incredibly well done action.

I really enjoyed it.

Highly recommended.
I was quite keen on this, but the audience score on RT is on its arse, and forum comments back that up....yet oddly, critic sores are high. Strange. Will definitely check it out anyway.
The knife fight was so stupidly scripted, you can virtually hear the director shouting each move in the background. Possibly the worst part of the film.

I watched Hotel armetis again recently, I can’t put a finger on why but I absolutely love this film. It’s a crazy storyline but works really well and Jodie Foster is great in such a weird role for her.

8/10

Also I’m excited about seeing Joker, the first film I’ve been excited about in years.

Dave!
Richard

Post by Richard »

V8Granite wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:50 pm

I watched Hotel armetis again recently, I can’t put a finger on why but I absolutely love this film. It’s a crazy storyline but works really well and Jodie Foster is great in such a weird role for her.

8/10

Dave!
Shes really good, in it, isn’t she
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Matty wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:21 pm I've said before, but the knife fight in JW3 and the follow up with the horses is some next-level shit. Incredibly well done action.

I really enjoyed it.

Highly recommended.
I don't think that objectively Ad Astra is a 'good' film, but I did really enjoy it...
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Hunter/killer

I'm a sucker for a submarine movie, but duck me that was dire. Muricans being Muricans saving us all. One bad Russian and some dodgy spec ops action.

2/10 torpedoes hitting their targets.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

The Predator - I watched this tripe while Mrs McSwede was at the pub the other night. Pretty tragic really and the cast was awful.

Don't bother!!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Aye, I fell asleep through The Predator. Utter dogshit.
An absolute unit