The Movie Thread

McSwede

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by McSwede »

Ascender wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:26 pm
Thor Love & Thunder - Great fun, enjoyed by all the family. Been interesting reading some of the critical responses to it. I don't know why there's this obsession to over-analyse every single bit of pop culture these days without just being able to enjoy some of it for what it is. Particularly when it doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is.
I watched a trailer for this when we went to watch Top Maverick. It looked to be a good, fun movie which is exactly what it should be.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

RobYob wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:09 am
duncs500 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:34 am
dinny_g wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:10 am Dune

Ok, I’m not going to lie, I had no clue what was going on for a lot of it but my God what a stunning piece of Cinema. You don’t have to watch it as such - you can just look at it - and marvel at the visuals, the music. Stunning! Simply stunning.

Fuck it, I’m going to give it the full 10 out of 10
Really keen to watch this, but I've decided to read the book first (at least the first book).
I read the book only a couple of years ago, it holds up really well. Movie was stunning and can't wait for part 2.
Finished the book (first one), and now watched the movie. Agreed, they've done a brilliant job of keeping it very close to the book, and it felt very authentic, I enjoyed it immensely. I can see that people will find it somewhat anticlimactic as a first part, but I think of it a bit like the first part of LoTR. They simply could not have fitted the whole thing into one movie in a way that people could follow so they picked a good place to end it.

I do think it must be hard to follow in the early stages if you don't know it, reading the book definitely helped to be clued up on what's happening without any detriment (in fact, I'd say made it better).
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Zonda_ wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:48 pm Last Breath about saturation divers in the North Sea. Follows the story of a dive gone wrong, quite harrowing as a lot of the film is made from recordings taken at the time.
Cheers for that, recommendation great film 👍
tim

Post by tim »

Trainwreck. A 2015 Amy Schumer film about shagging, mostly. Some big names in it. I laughed like a drain.

8 I would's out of 10.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I don’t know if anyone subscribes to Shudder but they’ve just put a few Alejandro Jodorowsky movies up.

Going to get stoned and watch Holy Mountain tomorrow :lol:
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I've just read the plot :shock:

It was nice knowing you - Shine on your Crazy Diamond... ;) :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Brian and Charles - utterly wonderful, very funny & heart-warming.

5 homemade robots with a washing machine for a body out of 5.
Cheers,

Mike.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

McSwede wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:17 pm
Ascender wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:26 pm
Thor Love & Thunder - Great fun, enjoyed by all the family. Been interesting reading some of the critical responses to it. I don't know why there's this obsession to over-analyse every single bit of pop culture these days without just being able to enjoy some of it for what it is. Particularly when it doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is.
I watched a trailer for this when we went to watch Top Maverick. It looked to be a good, fun movie which is exactly what it should be.
Watched yesterday as a family movie. Not as good as Ragnarok but still very entertaining. Opens with some of the best pisstakes of action movie tropes ever. Then bogs down a bit before closing with more very cool hammertime.

Almost too many cameos and wtf is with Roy Kent?
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

The Grey Man

Endless, OTT action that goes a little too far into the F&F realm of unbelivableness. 6/10.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Matty wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:23 am The Grey Man

Endless, OTT action that goes a little too far into the F&F realm of unbelivableness. 6/10.
Yeah, that’s about the strength of it.

Still enjoyed it though
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

The Grey Man

Let's not beat around the bush. It's Commando. Or, it's a shit version of Commando (I fucking love Commando).

Ryan Gosling is ok as John Matrix, but randomly turns into a weird smart ass half way through. Chris Evans makes a fucking awful Bennett (and verns Bennett was pretty bad in the first place). Ana whatever is an upgrade from Cindy and I love Billy Bob Thornton, so he can be a decent Major General Franklin Kirby.

But it's still a crappy rip off that I'm not sure I can even be bothered to watch the last 3 hours of (it's fucking long).
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Prey

New Predator movie set in Colonial America. The Predator hunts Comanche braves and french fur trappers while fighting a young native woman who wants to be a brave.

I thought it was great, I already liked Amber Midthunder from Legion but this really confirms her as a believable action movie actor.

Definitely worth watching, we watched the Comanche language version.
An absolute unit
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

ZedLeg wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:28 am Prey

New Predator movie set in Colonial America. The Predator hunts Comanche braves and french fur trappers while fighting a young native woman who wants to be a brave.

I thought it was great, I already liked Amber Midthunder from Legion but this really confirms her as a believable action movie actor.

Excellent. We'll be watching that at some point soon 👍
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Watched it yesterday, definitely a worthy addition to the canon :mrgreen:

Sorry to ask a daft question, is that version dubbed?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It’s not really a dub as the actors filmed all the scenes twice, once in English and again in Comanche. It’s in the extras if you watch it on Disney+.
An absolute unit
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

ZedLeg wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:58 pm It’s not really a dub as the actors filmed all the scenes twice, once in English and again in Comanche. It’s in the extras if you watch it on Disney+.
Cheers, wish I'd watched it Commanche now! 8-)
Beany

Post by Beany »

Didn't know everyone was such a fan of 90s voxel based helicopter games
comanche-maximum-overkill_8.png
comanche-maximum-overkill_8.png (14.79 KiB) Viewed 547 times
(I'm gonna watch this tonight, sounds alright)
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I started watching it yesterday, but gave up after 45ish minutes. Thought the CGI was so badly done it ruined the experience.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Beany

Post by Beany »

To be clear, the screenshot I posted above isn't the CGI from Prey. ;)
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Agreed.. I thought it was fantastic. I loved how it was shot and the use of different languages with no need for exposition. Best one since the original, even though I have a soft spot for the second one, Gary Busey and all!
Cheers,

Mike.