tim

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by tim »

^^ that.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

My daughter came back and has immediately started researching what qualifications are needed to become a fighter pilot which is pretty much what I did back in 1986.... That didn't quite work out for me, but she's much more academic than I ever was so who knows.
Cheers,

Mike.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Going to see it with my nephew on Thursday, he hasn't seen the first one, should I ensure he has seen it first?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Ascender wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:02 am My daughter came back and has immediately started researching what qualifications are needed to become a fighter pilot which is pretty much what I did back in 1986.... That didn't quite work out for me, but she's much more academic than I ever was so who knows.
Start looking for the duke of Edinburgh award aswell
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

jamcg wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:26 am
Ascender wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:02 am My daughter came back and has immediately started researching what qualifications are needed to become a fighter pilot which is pretty much what I did back in 1986.... That didn't quite work out for me, but she's much more academic than I ever was so who knows.
Start looking for the duke of Edinburgh award aswell
Funnily enough, she emailed the RAF yesterday who replied and mentioned that along with the entry qualifications. Our school does DOE, but my boy's was totally screwed by Covid.

How do you know that @jamcg? Or should we call you Maverick now?
Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Zonda_ wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:06 am Going to see it with my nephew on Thursday, he hasn't seen the first one, should I ensure he has seen it first?
There's more than enough callbacks and exposition which covers the links between the two, but I'd definitely recommend watching the first one as it will all just be more seamless and require no thought. My girl was so caught up in the action that she genuinely didn't realise some of the backstory.
Cheers,

Mike.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Zonda_ wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:06 am Going to see it with my nephew on Thursday, he hasn't seen the first one, should I ensure he has seen it first?
You should consider it part of your duties as an uncle to ensure he is brought up correctly and exposed to quality entertainment. As soon as he's old enough you should also make sure he watches Robocop (the original, not the fucking awful remake) and Predator.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Delphi wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:22 am
You should consider it part of your duties as an uncle to ensure he is brought up correctly and exposed to quality entertainment. As soon as he's old enough you should also make sure he watches Robocop (the original, not the fucking awful remake) and Predator.
shit, I forgot about that Robocop remake! I remember watching it, then that night putting the original on to cleanse ourselves of how shit the remake was!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah that Robocop remake was bad, no one can do satirical corporate dystopia like Paul Verhoeven.
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

Which remake was worse?

RoboCop or
Total Recall?

No matter who wins, we all lost with those two....
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Beany wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:39 pm Which remake was worse?

RoboCop or
Total Recall?

No matter who wins, we all lost with those two....
i didn't mind the total recall one - it was the same story but different enough from the original to stand up as its own film.

Robocop fundamentally changed the story and the characters motives so far that it didn't make sense.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Ascender wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:27 pm Top Gun: Maverick. Saw it on the IMAX and it was utterly tremendous, escapist fun. Best film ever. Whole family loved it.
Caught it on local iSense tonight and agree, thoroughly enjoyed it. Jennifer C stlil smokin' too.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I think I’m the only person in the world with zero desire to see it. Not trying to be hip or cool or woke or whatever, just don’t get it.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen the original all the way through tbh.
Cheers, Harry
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Would've rather had a Days of Thunder sequel tbh, Tom Cruise starts a race team after a successful career as a driver and reruns the first movie with a new punk kid.
An absolute unit
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:58 am Would've rather had a Days of Thunder sequel tbh, Tom Cruise starts a race team after a successful career as a driver and reruns the first movie with a new punk kid.
I think you're getting a bit bogged down with the plot.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

All I want is two hours of NASCAR V8s in Dolby Atmos and a big crash at some point.
An absolute unit
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Just back from seeing Top Gun Maverick, wow! Brilliant, brilliant film, probably better than the first.
mik

Post by mik »

Despite my resistance, mrs mik convinced me to go and watch Jurassic Park - Dominion last night. I think the only film she has watched fully end-to-end from this "franchise" is the (fabulous) original. :?

Run time 2hrs 27mins. We left after 1hr 5mins. I think that might be the second time ever I have walked out of a film? :?

Couldn't engage with the characters. Ludicrous CGI chase scenes with booming music that failed to generate even a flicker of tension. And some utterly ridiculous concepts such as
Spoiler
living in a rickety spit-through-the-walls lodge in the woods with killer dinosaurs wandering about, but being happy to sit outside round a camp fire in the pitch black for a cup of tea, and to let your "daughter" cycle around on her BMX. Meeting a juvenile raptor for the first time and opting to give it a piece of your toast rather than hastily leaving the scene. Person A killed/eaten by a dinosaur only 2m from person B, who then casually turns away and speaks into their phone or their headset with zero concern for the OBVIOUS DANGER.
Stoopid film. :oops:

It's probably not fair for me to rate it as we didn't watch it all. But it was turd.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

mik? wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:29 am Despite my resistance, mrs Yob convinced me to go and watch Jurassic Park - Dominion this afternoon.

Stoopid film. :oops:
:lol:

So very stupid, but we watched it after a nice walk to our local indy cinema and their very awesome choc-tops. So I somewhat forgive it's stupidity.

I quite liked the Malta heist sequence. But other than that there's not much new to see.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Jurassic Park is one of the most mismanaged movie franchises around. None of the further adventures of dinosaurs movies have been much cop.

Dashcam - New movie from the maker of the excellent Shudder exclusive Host.

Premise is that an annoying live streamer gets caught up in spooky goings on. Cue a monster chase movie all filmed on phones and go pros. It's really good, great tension and some proper squirm inducing body horror.

Continuing the theme of films made on unusual formats, I watched 28 Days Later for the first time in ages too. The mini DV thing hasn't aged well, it all looks a bit shite. Movie's still good though.
An absolute unit