The Movie Thread

speedingfine

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by speedingfine »

The Conversation is on iPlayer. Brilliant if you like that sort of thing 😆

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_conversation

At the other end of the scale I watched Infinity War and Endgame the other day too, the former was crap but quite liked Endgame. Clever idea well executed. Thor Ragnarok is probably the best Marvel I've caught up with recently though, very amusing.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

McSwede wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:59 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:45 pm
dinny_g wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:47 pm We caught up on a few of the recent Music Biopic's

Rocketman - probably the best of these three IMO. Great music, the "numbers" sequences were well woven into the story. Great portrayal of Elton by Taron Egerton.

Bohemian Rhapsody - you can see Remi Malik won the Oscar - Brilliantly played. The Live Aid section (while brilliant) is only slightly let down by the weird colours they used in the Crowd Animations - It looked like most of the people in the crowd were wearing white or Light blue only. I remember the day as a lot more colourful. However, the presence of Peter Beale throughout made it feel like a Lifetime move to me.

Yesterday - enjoyed it ever more than I thought (Mainly because Tamwar was playing Tamwar ;) ). Great idea, Ed Sheeran doesn't stick out and Kate McKinnon gets some of the funniest lines in years.

Edit - and Robert Carlisle does a brilliant John Lennon - apparently Danny Boyle didn't allow the main actor to see Carlisle in character until they filmed the sceen where they meet to capture a real reaction.
If you wanted to torture me I reckon that lineup of movies would be a good place to start :lol:
2nd'd

Yesterday in particular looks bloody awful 🤣
You'll hate Blinded by the light too. Recommended ;)
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I quite enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody on first viewing and the kids loved it, but I thought Rocketman blew it out of the water in comparison. Saw it again recently and found it just as great to be honest.

I thought Yesterday was ok, enjoyable fluff, which is absolutely fine.
Cheers,

Mike.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I thought both were great but I couldn’t help feeling that Remi Malik was doing an impression of Janet Street-Porter. Rocketman was the better film.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

We're trawling through Netflix and Prime re-watching films only one of us have seen...

Her choice (which I hadn't seen)

Bridge of Spies - excellent, tense drama from start to finish. I read Spycatcher when I was young and love Cold War Espionage / Swapping spies at the Brandenburg gate type films - Loved it and it's easy to see my Mark Rylance gets all the plaudits he does. Great Actor.

With that in mind, my choice (she she hadn't seen)

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - probably the most famous of the ilk. Stellar cast, very atmospheric and tension in every scene.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

The Fellowship of the Ring watched the extended edition with the kids after their schoolwork was done over three sittings.

Still impeccable twenty years on. Frodo's rescue by Arwen and the Mines of Moria have to be two of the most spectacular sequences ever.

Roll on The Two Towers and Helms Deep. Hopefully youngest Yoblett (8) is ok with the grimmer episode although Treebeard adds some levity.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Had all the extended editions since they were available, add loads more to the films but you need a looooong time to watch them.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

We have an endurance watch every now and again where we watch all three extended cuts in one go.

Had the hobbit movies on while I was working last week. Weren’t as bad as I remembered but still not up to the standard of lotr.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Star Wars - The Rise of Skywalker

Oh dear... :roll:

1 forced reference to the original trilogy out of 10

Very disappointed ☹️
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

The Two Towers extended edition again, watched in two sittings. Of course it was fucking epic, has always been my favourite chapter. The Ents storming Isengard has me feeling like a ten year old.

Kids are captivated by the story so we'll probably dive straight into Return of the King (and the neverendingendings). I'd expected they'd have gotten a bit fidgity in the slower sequences, particularly as the speeches in Elvish aren't subtitled. Gollum is still a marvel of performance by Andy Serkis and the tech team behind it. Treebeard is a little... wooden, but that might be entirely intentional.

Quite a contrast to how little interest or patience they have with any of the Star Wars saga I've done my damndest to inflict upon them.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

RobYob wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:21 am The Two Towers extended edition again, watched in two sittings. Of course it was fucking epic, has always been my favourite chapter. The Ents storming Isengard has me feeling like a ten year old.

Kids are captivated by the story so we'll probably dive straight into Return of the King (and the neverendingendings). I'd expected they'd have gotten a bit fidgity in the slower sequences, particularly as the speeches in Elvish aren't subtitled. Gollum is still a marvel of performance by Andy Serkis and the tech team behind it. Treebeard is a little... wooden, but that might be entirely intentional.

Quite a contrast to how little interest or patience they have with any of the Star Wars saga I've done my damndest to inflict upon them.
I find that the LotR stuff gets on my nerves more than the bits of them I enjoy. Sam and Frodo make my teeth itch. I could happily thrash them with a big stick for days on end. Orlundo Bland is achingly dull. RotK was pretty good apart from all the bollocks at the end on My Doom plus the end sequence. Andy Serkis was ace but Gollum proper got on my nerves. They should have chopped is head off and sacked off the whole adventure. The spider bit was enjoyable

Gandolf was good as were the ghosts and all the fightey bits. Too much plodding plot for me.

No wonder I don't watch when they're on 😂😂😂
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:12 pm We have an endurance watch every now and again where we watch all three extended cuts in one go.

Had the hobbit movies on while I was working last week. Weren’t as bad as I remembered but still not up to the standard of lotr.
LOTR really is an endurance event, especially that first one - all the walking, talking & scenery is guaranteed to put me to sleep every single time. Which means getting through that first one can take a few gos. Quite a few of the characters are also annoying to-the-max, but you just have to go with the flow.

I don't think I've seen the second two Hobbit films, I picked them up cheap on iTunes a while back but never got round to them.
Cheers,

Mike.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

The Hobbit films are such a bizarre misstep from the LOTR, crammed in so much rubbish compared to the careful cutting done for LOTR. Maybe with lowered expectations and exposure to MCU level plots I'll be more forgiving. :lol:

On that note Andy Serkis' reading of The Hobbit today for charity is very enjoyable, building Lego at the same time, and baking bread for lunch, the lockdown hat-trick!
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

RobYob wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:07 am...exposure to MCU level plots I'll be more forgiving. :lol:...
How dare you sir! I won't hear a bad word about those movies! Well, apart from bits of Iron Man 2 and the second Ant-Man movie.
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Ascender wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:24 am
RobYob wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:07 am...exposure to MCU level plots I'll be more forgiving. :lol:...
How dare you sir! I won't hear a bad word about those movies! Well, apart from bits of Iron Man 2 and the second Ant-Man movie.
which one of the MCU films had a plot?
Peterlplp

Post by Peterlplp »

I suspect that the Hobbit films were a bit shit because no one would have said "no" to Peter Jackson at that point.
Remember that the first 3 were made by some guy who had directed a few oddball movies and an awesome team he had assembled, the next 3 were directed by Jesus.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Ascender wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:24 am
ZedLeg wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:12 pm We have an endurance watch every now and again where we watch all three extended cuts in one go.

LOTR really is an endurance event, especially that first one - all the walking, talking & scenery is guaranteed to put me to sleep every single time. Which means getting through that first one can take a few gos. Quite a few of the characters are also annoying to-the-max, but you just have to go with the flow.

I don't think I've seen the second two Hobbit films, I picked them up cheap on iTunes a while back but never got round to them.
Aye, I like the whole thing but it’s at it’s best from Helms Deep to the Battle of Pelennor Fields.

The charge of the Rohirrim is one of my favourite movie scenesz
An absolute unit
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Return of the King epic extended edition entertainment enduro ends. Not sure if time has mellowed me but the neverendingendings didn't seem so bad taking the final 25minutes of the four hour film. The battle of Pelennor fields did outstay its welcome, seeing Rohirrim squished by an Oliphant once is epic, twice is still wow, but in the EE it's dozens of shots and very much feels like SFX filler. Kids still thoroughly enjoyed it, although I doubt they'll be putting Lord of the Rings beside Harry Potter on their bookshelves any time soon.

Might hunt out a fan-cut of the The Hobbit films to just round out the whole thing.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Picked up The Invisible Man on iTunes - this is the 2020 version with Elisabeth Moss. And I thought it was bloody brilliant. The first 45 minutes or so are incredibly & uncomfortably tense. There's also some great shots, some of them very voyeuristic, some just static shots of rooms, where nothing seems to be happening. Are we seeing it from someone's point of view? Is there someone hiding in plain sight? Or is it just to make the viewer feel like the main character where you start getting paranoid that there is someone watching you.

I really didn't know what the movie was going to be like and I feared the worst given some of the social media stuff about its woke-ness and how it was another movie which was just pandering because it had a female lead and the issues it deals with, but I loved it. Its a really fresh spin on the old tale and was just really well made. Don't want to say more than that because it will spoil it but its one of the best movies I've seen in lockdown.
Cheers,

Mike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Peterlplp wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:15 pm I suspect that the Hobbit films were a bit shit because no one would have said "no" to Peter Jackson at that point.
Remember that the first 3 were made by some guy who had directed a few oddball movies and an awesome team he had assembled, the next 3 were directed by Jesus.
IIRC Guillermo Del Toro was meant to direct, and had a plan for perhaps two films, studio took ages to confirm it finance wise, Del Toro had other commitments, he fucked it off. Jackson had to come to the fore and sort it out. And then the studio wanted three films, because they couldn't just have some money from ticket sales, they had to have all of the money.

So yeah, fuck the studio basically.