The Movie Thread

unzippy

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by unzippy »

Ascender wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:08 am
Zonda_ wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:05 pm Nephew showed me the trailer for JoJo Rabbit that he wants to see, not a chance.
I really want to see that, I'm a big fan of his work and I thought the trailer looked good. But it seems to be polarising opinions with reviews from 0 to 5 stars and critics in particular bashing it.
Having seen it, it's brilliant.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Thought about seeing it and ended up going looking at kitchens! Reviews seem to be excellent from punters, and awful from the critics. I'm a big fan of his stuff as well. Watched What We Do In The Shadows over Xmas - having watched the subsequent TV series I was glad it was different enough. Had me in stitches a few times :P
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Not many laughs.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:50 pm 1917

Not many laughs.
IMAX or normal cinema?

I might go watch it next week if I get chance.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Normal. In a slightly more in-depth review:

I consider Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers to be the best depictions of war (obviously I’ve never experienced the real thing but they were just so visceral). I’d hoped 1917 would equal them, or better. Sadly, it doesn’t quite make it. It’s very, very good, but it isn’t great. I think the whole “single take” viewpoint ultimately limits the film and is a little bit gimmicky. There’s no way for the thin story to breathe and it takes the emotional edge off.

It’s worth watching, but it’s not a movie I’d rush to watch again.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

You ever seen Dunkirk, Dave?
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:43 pm You ever seen Dunkirk, Dave?
I enjoyed Dunkirk but it took me a while to realise it was the same story told from 3 different perspectives.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Aladdin (The new one) - Seen a few mins and it looks rubbish.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I did, I thought it was really good at the time, but I can’t remember any of it other than the worlds glidiest Spitfire now. I’ll have to watch it again.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:17 pm
I did, I thought it was really good at the time, but I can’t remember any of it other than the worlds glidiest Spitfire now. I’ll have to watch it again.
Was going to ask how it compared to 1917, as I thought Dunkirk was great
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:06 pm
Was going to ask how it compared to 1917, as I thought Dunkirk was great
I think Dunkirk was better. But 1917 is still very good and you should definitely watch it.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I know... it’s amazing how glidey it was with Soooooo much ammunition on board.. ;)

Mark Ryland’s thread was the best...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

dinny_g wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:30 pm
I know... it’s amazing how glidey it was with Soooooo much ammunition on board.. ;)

Mark Ryland’s thread was the best...
I don't recall it firing excessively, just very short bursts as all WW2 fighter pilots were taught.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Widows

Heist movie by Steve McQueen where women take on a big job after their husbands are killed. I figured it would be a bit like Oceans 8, but it’s much more like The Wire in feel. Really, really good film. Surprisingly based on a Lynda LaPlante story that was made into an ITV series.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:09 pm Widows

Heist movie by Steve McQueen where women take on a big job after their husbands are killed. I figured it would be a bit like Oceans 8, but it’s much more like The Wire in feel. Really, really good film. Surprisingly based on a Lynda LaPlante story that was made into an ITV series.
Blimey, I'll put it on the list!
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Simon

Post by Simon »

Downsizing.

Matt Damon lives in a world where they've discovered a technique to miniaturise people down to 5 inches in height; It takes the pressure off the planet because you use a lot less in resources when small. Also, when you go small your money is worth a lot more, so lots of low to middle income middle age people do it because they discover that they can then immediately retire with their new found wealth.

However, once small things basically don't go to plan.

This film had an interesting concept and after 30 minutes in could've been taken in a number of directions. Unfortunately the writers chose to make it a morality lesson and shove their 'message' down our throats. As such it suffers terribly from a complete lack of credible plot and finishes up somewhere completely unrelated to where it all started. A massive missed opportunity.

Plus it's got huge continuity problems in 'tech' for the small people.

4 diminutive Hollywood woke out of 10.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Jumanji - The Next Level

Not quite as good as the last one but still a good laugh, seeing the different actors being "old men" had me snorting with laughter pretty much all the way through. 8 stars
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I was kind of disappointed with Widows but i think it might've been my own fault as I'd probably built it up too much due to 12 years a slave being so incredible.

I'll need to give it another go.
An absolute unit
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:36 am

I was kind of disappointed with Widows but i think it might've been my own fault as I'd probably built it up too much due to 12 years a slave being so incredible.

I'll need to give it another go.
This is why I try not to learn too much about a movie before I see it. I’ve never seen 12 Years a Slave so wasn’t really aware of the hype surrounding Steve McQueen as a director. I expected it to be the usual heist move trope but with a twist *gasp, they’re women!* but it really isn’t. I like that it operates on a few different layers. It’s “woke” but the “unwoke” won’t notice and be put off by it.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I'd recommend his other movies. 12 years a slave and Hunger, which is about Bobby Sands and the prison hunger strikes are particularly good. They aren't easy films to watch though. They're both almost unbearably intense at times.
An absolute unit