The Movie Thread

NotoriousREV

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by NotoriousREV »

Nathan wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:06 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:35 pm
Nathan wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:46 am

It was meant to be film of the year - an ode to Hollywood from one of the worlds best film makers.

It ended up as a jumbled mess of scenes with no story.
But you never like any film you watch. Why do something that you clearly don’t enjoy so persistently? I don’t play football because I hate it. I don’t post every week about how much I hate it.
Not entirely true. I have posted several recommendations, its just that most films made in the past 10 years are terrible.
Try knitting.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:20 pm Le Mans ‘66

Not *quite* as good as Rush, but not far off. Watch it.
Saw it this afternoon, really enjoyed it. Even the wife liked it!

I did feel like they shoehorned in a few too many quintessential English phrases into Miles, but maybe he just talked like that.:D
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

The Irishman

Hmmm not sure about this one. Perhaps I was expecting too much but it didn’t seem match up. Maybe it needs another / multiple watches.

Very slow and meandering pace and, despite not knowing much about the story, you knew what was coming from very early on.

Very cool to be able to watch on Netflix so early... 8-)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I started The Irishman last night but didn't finish it.

I'm enjoying it. I wasn't holding out much hope for it because it looked like a nostalgic step backwards for Scorsese and it is but in a good way. The meandering plot works because it's a story being told by an old man. It's very much Scorsese by numbers but it's fun to watch. Nice to see Joe Pesci in something as well.

My only complaint is a bit of uncanny valley effect in the cg they use to make them look younger and Al Pacino's wig is terrible :lol:.
An absolute unit
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

We started The Irishman last night but got nowhere near to finishing it. Agree with everything that's been said so far - its great fun to watch although a wee bit sad seeing how old everyone is now.

The de-aging stuff is really weird, but I can't exactly put my finger on why. Sometimes it looks great, but at other times it's really, really distracting for some reason.

Marvel really nailed it with Samuel Jackson in Captain Marvel after a shaky start with the tech, but I'd love to understand why my brain has an issue with it in this movie.
Cheers,

Mike.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Nathan wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:46 am
NotoriousREV wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:37 am
Nathan wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:54 pm Once upon a time in Hollywood

Erm, not great is it?
I don’t know why you even bother to watch films.
It was meant to be film of the year - an ode to Hollywood from one of the worlds best film makers.

It ended up as a jumbled mess of scenes with no story.
Rumour has it (as I may already have said even) that you should wait for it to arrive on Netflix in a much longer cut
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:17 am it looked like a nostalgic step backwards for Scorsese
Yep Zed. I mean, does Hervey Keitel even have any dialog in it...

The initial de-aging of De Niro I the truck was awful. Cpt Marvel used the technology much better to the point of being almost seamless.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
evostick

Post by evostick »

I thoroughly enjoyed The Irishman.

The acting, the cast, the sets, the pace, just perfect. So good to see these old fuckers doing what they do best and enjoying it.

It didn't matter to me that the end had nowhere to go but to hang on the moralising because the whole thing was just so immersive that I didn't care.

The ageing thing was a bit messy in places but it didn't bother me.

Possibly De Niros best performance imo. I hate that he spouts political opinion these days but he's still a brilliant puppet.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Went to see Knives Out last night.

Excellent.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:08 am
ZedLeg wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:17 am it looked like a nostalgic step backwards for Scorsese
Yep Zed. I mean, does Hervey Keitel even have any dialog in it...

The initial de-aging of De Niro I the truck was awful. Cpt Marvel used the technology much better to the point of being almost seamless.
I think the de-aging is worse any time they're doing that when someone is moving around. If they're sitting still it looks pretty damn convincing, but it goes all wonky when they're trying to do that and have the character walk around.
Cheers,

Mike.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I was suprised when I read it had a $160m budget
Real-life Females
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Joker is something, isn’t it? Beautifully made film, Joaquin Phoenix’s performance is something very special. I know it’s slow going and heavy with it, but what a brilliant way to make a comic book movie.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:07 pm Joker is something, isn’t it? Beautifully made film, Joaquin Phoenix’s performance is something very special. I know it’s slow going and heavy with it, but what a brilliant way to make a comic book movie.
Staggeringly good. It gives the story the room it needs to develop - very rare these days in "mainstream" movies.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I was nearly put off by the fact that occasionally Joaquin’s laugh sounds exactly like Stuart Lee’s impression of Richard Hammond in his “I hate Richard Hammond” sketch. Do you reckon he’s watched it on YouTube?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

DaveE wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:29 am Went to see Knives Out last night.

Excellent.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Yes, very entertaining caper, recommended.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Or Ford Vs Ferrari has it's been named here and the US. Presumably because the colonialists have no idea what or where Le Mans is.

Saw it last night, top entertainment.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Frozen II with my daughter. It was not a good film. The soundtrack will not be sung ad nauseam in our house for the next several years though so that is a plus point!
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

unzippy wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:37 am

Or Ford Vs Ferrari has it's been named here and the US. Presumably because the colonialists have no idea what or where Le Mans is.

I was trying to decide whether it was renamed in the US because of Le Mans ignorance or renamed in Europe because they think we might be offended by the thought of Ford beating Ferrari :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Simon

Post by Simon »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:38 am
unzippy wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:37 am

I was trying to decide whether it was renamed in the US because of Le Mans ignorance or renamed in Europe because they think we might be offended by the thought of Ford beating Ferrari :lol:
You really need to ask?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
mik

Post by mik »

Finally watched Blade Runner 2049 with youngest miklet on Netflix last night.

Thoroughly enjoyable, and some of the cinematography and light play was just stunning. Gosling was great too. Long film, but the pace worked well for me and felt very like the original in that respect.

9 was that a real memory or an implant out of 10z