The Movie Thread

ZedLeg

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by ZedLeg »

I got as far as woke feminist virtue signalling and rolled my eyes so hard they fell out, Pish as usual, talks pish.
An absolute unit
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

There’s too many MGTOW/Incel dickheads on the internet these days spewing this nonsense.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Mr Pish
Currently Driving: Model 3 Performance

Post by Mr Pish »

Richard wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:31 am
I don’t really understand that take, to be honest. Most of the main cast happen to be female, but that’s it. I guess most the hate comes from people who haven’t seen it? Because I can’t see how you could be annoyed by it unless you really hate women.

I guess it’s like The Last Jedi in that, TLJ happens to have a girl in it too.

Oceans 8 was also good, if you’ve not seen it. An interesting different dynamic on a fairly stale formula.

But I guess women should be (hardly) seen and (certainly) not heard
I guess its down to the motive behind it, if its just a strong character choice most people wont have a problem with it, if its done for political / virtue signalling problems then that could be a problem for some people, others wont care

a lot of people who dont follow the 'incel' web probably are not aware of the shite that kathleen kenedy has sprouted about star wars or all of the political decisions that where made, and she's still at it

https://www.superherohype.com/movies/47 ... e-material
Join us, join the Teslarati!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Did you mean to post an article that wasn't a misleading clickbait headline and a quote from another article that doesn't really say anything?
An absolute unit
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

That’s interesting cause everything I have seen says it’s woke feminist virtue signalling like captain marvel, oceans 8, the last Jedi, ghost busters reboot etc. and that it has tanked at the box office.
I don't understand that criticism of Captain Marvel or Ocean's 8 - I enjoyed both of them and I know my daughter found Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman and a lot of the stuff in the Avengers movies really positive from a female perspective. Plus, Captain Marvel has been a comic book character for how long?

Last Jedi divided opinions for many reasons, I thought their politics of the diverse cast was probably near the bottom of the list of criticisms.

And the Ghost Busters reboot was just not very good.

FWIW, I think the whole movement which has grown up around criticising people for not being "woke" (I think that covers everything) has gone way too far to the point where its become a parody. Some of the headlines I read have come straight out of Brass Eye. Equal rights, equal pay for equal job etc is all great and everyone should just respect each other, but the points scoring and trial by social media is just tiresome.
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Ascender wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:54 pm FWIW, I think the whole movement which has grown up around criticising people for not being "woke" (I think that covers everything) has gone way too far to the point where its become a parody. Some of the headlines I read have come straight out of Brass Eye. Equal rights, equal pay for equal job etc is all great and everyone should just respect each other, but the points scoring and trial by social media is just tiresome.
TBH it's as bad both ways, I could go find a chubby, bearded white dude shouting into a camera complaining about any "SJW" talking point and some of them make a lot of money doing it.

I follow the culture quite closely and I find that 99% of the time this idea of the woke sjw is a caricature made up to diminish the arguments of more progressive people. Obviously there are people that take things too far but they're outliers and their importance is inflated by the aforementioned dudes to push their own agenda.

Also, the Carol Danvers character has been around since the 60s but Capt Marvel was originally a man so obviously using her was pushing an agenda :roll:.
An absolute unit
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

And the Ghostbuster reboot was actually pretty funny. It just wasn’t as funny as the originals.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Richard

Post by Richard »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:55 pm And the Ghostbuster reboot was actually pretty funny. It just wasn’t as funny as the originals.
The main issue IMO wasn’t that they replaced the cast with women, it was that they replaced the cast at all
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Just watched Captain Marvel...

Really enjoyed it. On the Guardians of the Galaxy end of the spectrum as far as a Marvel films go but it’s a really good superhero movie and the underlying theme was Universal (if you’ll forgive the pun)

It’s not woke or virtue signalling or anything of the sort.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Once upon a time in Hollywood

Erm, not great is it?
Real-life Females
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Nathan wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:54 pm Once upon a time in Hollywood

Erm, not great is it?
I don’t know why you even bother to watch films.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Erm, not great is it?
There were things to enjoy like DiCaprio and Pitt. Some of the scenes were fantastic but a lot of it was bloody tedious sadly. I expected better when I saw it.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:37 am

Erm, not great is it?
It was meant to be film of the year - an ode to Hollywood from one of the worlds best film makers.

It ended up as a jumbled mess of scenes with no story.
Real-life Females
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

To be fair, I haven’t seen it but lots of reviews said the same. I will still give it a go though.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

There was some excellent street footage and the attention to detail to keep the film in period was fantastic.

I was interested to read the the marketing budget for the film was higher than the actual budget to make the film. Not sure how, but there you go.
Real-life Females
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Nathan wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:46 am

Erm, not great is it?
It was meant to be film of the year - an ode to Hollywood from one of the worlds best film makers.

But you never like any film you watch. Why do something that you clearly don’t enjoy so persistently? I don’t play football because I hate it. I don’t post every week about how much I hate it.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Farmageddon Aardman animation on form, lots of sci-fi shout outs and a funky soundtrack too.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

RobYob wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:51 pm Farmageddon Aardman animation on form, lots of sci-fi shout outs and a funky soundtrack too.
Good isn't it! 👍
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:35 pm

But you never like any film you watch. Why do something that you clearly don’t enjoy so persistently? I don’t play football because I hate it. I don’t post every week about how much I hate it.
Not entirely true. I have posted several recommendations, its just that most films made in the past 10 years are terrible.
Real-life Females
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Nathan wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:06 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:35 pm

Not entirely true. I have posted several recommendations, its just that most films made in the past 10 years are terrible.
Most? Come on.