The Movie Thread

V8Granite

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by V8Granite »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:13 am
NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:06 am
dinny_g wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:51 am True...

But let's all remember - the original was utter shite and really, really hasn't aged very well at all :D
#BecauseDinny
knew that might garner a reaction... :lol:
I will hunt down this Dinny person and due to his utter dis-regard for the awesomeness of Top Gun will shit on his pillow.

I’ve never been so excited about a film!!!

Dave!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Dave has famously huge turds... :shock:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:14 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:07 pm Joker is something, isn’t it? Beautifully made film, Joaquin Phoenix’s performance is something very special. I know it’s slow going and heavy with it, but what a brilliant way to make a comic book movie.
Staggeringly good. It gives the story the room it needs to develop - very rare these days in "mainstream" movies.
Watched this earlier. I liked it.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

The Last Skywalker - No spoilers as that would be total dick behaviour. I really enjoyed it. The best of the new trilogy by a mile. There is the odd wee thing if you are a picky old bugger (most of us) but if you remember you are watching essentially a kid's film set in space and just go along for the ride it does the job.

4.5 out of 5
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Glad to hear you enjoyed it [mention]Gavin[/mention] as despite trying to avoid reading anything about it, there seem to be some pretty curmudgeonly views about it on Twitter.
Cheers,

Mike.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Gavin wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:38 am The Last Skywalker - No spoilers as that would be total dick behaviour. I really enjoyed it. The best of the new trilogy by a mile. There is the odd wee thing if you are a picky old bugger (most of us) but if you remember you are watching essentially a kid's film set in space and just go along for the ride it does the job.

4.5 out of 5
Seeing this on Sunday - always been a fan (since my Dad took me to see the first one when it came out) - really looking forward to it...
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I’m watching it this afternoon with my dad my bro and my nephew. I’m sure I won’t like it, but I’ve seen every SW film in the cinema so I have to go.

Strangely I end up watching them again at home and pretty much always prefer them the second time round (though Solo was pretty poor).
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Rich B wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:28 am I’m watching it this afternoon with my dad my bro and my nephew. I’m sure I won’t like it, but I’ve seen every SW film in the cinema so I have to go.

Strangely I end up watching them again at home and pretty much always prefer them the second time round (though Solo was pretty poor).
I was the same with the Force Awakens and Last Jedi. TBF Last Jedi is not great but I enjoyed both on 2nd and 3rd watching. I suspect you will enjoy ROS as it is right up there with Rogue 1 and Empire for me. And Revenge of the Sith...

Another mate went to see it last night and his message after he came out was also hugely positive.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I saw it and enjoyed it - it’s just a well paced kids film really. There’s not too many scenes added purely to sell new toys, but of course there are a few. Similar in feel to TFA (And far better than TLJ) with better developed characters.

Mark Hamill was awful as he was in the last one, but the main characters were all really good - the script was better too with much more believable lines from Daisy Ridley and Oscar Isaac in particular.
mik

Post by mik »

I loved the original 3 releases when I was a (cis)boy, but since then I have seen only Attack Of Teh Clones. Which didn’t blow me away. I should probably try some of the others some time. :?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:16 am I loved the original 3 releases when I was a (cis)boy, but since then I have seen only Attack Of Teh Clones. Which didn’t blow me away. I should probably try some of the others some time. :?
other than Solo, you’ve probably seen the worst one since the original 3 (yeah, I liked the phantom menace)..
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I enjoyed Rise of Skywalker, as did the kids. But it’s far from perfect and has many, many issues with it, which is a shame... but to be honest nostalgia alone gets it a bit of a free pass.

Bits of it really made me grin like a loon, but there was also many wtf moments and quite a few utterly cringeworthy bits of dialogue as well as some massive, honking, not-subtle-at-all bits of fan service.

But I still enjoyed it.
Cheers,

Mike.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Frozen 2 I'm a sucker for a good animation and the animation of Frozen 2 is so very very very good. Story is solid and the songs are passable, no repeat of Let it go, for which many will be thankful. Full blown pisstake of The Glory of Love mid-movie was very funny.

Easy to recommend for kids and big kids.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Why does Kristen Wiig drive a AE86 in Bridesmaids - did they even sell them in the US?
Real-life Females
Beany

Post by Beany »

Nathan wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:04 pm Why does Kristen Wiig drive a AE86 in Bridesmaids - did they even sell them in the US?
....why are you watching Bridesmaids? :?
mik

Post by mik »

Beany wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:45 pm
Nathan wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:04 pm Why does Kristen Wiig drive a AE86 in Bridesmaids - did they even sell them in the US?
'cos it is hilarious? :?
Beany

Post by Beany »

mik wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:47 pm
Beany wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:45 pm
'cos it is hilarious? :?
We're talking about Nathan here though, regardless of whether it's good or not, he'll hate it.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

The Green Book

Very, very good with some excellent acting by Viggo Mortensen and Mahershala Ali. While not a terribly nice subject (black musician touring the deep South in 1962 to play for white people), the friendship developing between them throughout, and the change to Viggo's character is both believable and feels genuine.

Highly recommended, 9/10 Steinways.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Yes, they sold them in the US, but most of them didn’t have the 4A-GE engine.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Ascender wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:18 pm I enjoyed Rise of Skywalker, as did the kids. But it’s far from perfect and has many, many issues with it, which is a shame... but to be honest nostalgia alone gets it a bit of a free pass.

Bits of it really made me grin like a loon, but there was also many wtf moments and quite a few utterly cringeworthy bits of dialogue as well as some massive, honking, not-subtle-at-all bits of fan service.

But I still enjoyed it.
Same until the last line, the bits of TLJ conspired to ultimately make it film that I went to see more out of curiosity then to enjoy. It’s now over and I felt that they set the bar really high with TFA and rogue 1 and spectacularly failed to get anywhere near it with Solo, TLJ and TRS. My eldest didn’t like it (he wants to be a screen writer so is a bit of a movie critic now) either but the wife and the youngest 2 did.