The Movie Thread

dinny_g

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by dinny_g »

Knives Out

Really really good - I'm a big fan of Agatha Christie / whodunnit type films so this modern take is right up my street.

OK so Daniel Craig's accent did start to grate, especially the, too many times, it dropped but great cast, great dialogue and kept me guessing to the end
Last edited by dinny_g on Fri May 15, 2020 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

dinny_g wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:19 pm Knives Out

Really really good - I'm a big fan of Agatha Christie / whodunnit type films so this modern take is right up my street.

OK so Daniel Craig's accent did start to great, especially the, too many times, it dropped but great cast, great dialog and kept me guessing to the end
sounds grate.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

:lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Capone

I hear it's rubbish when it's officially released here. I'd probably not go to the cinema or watch it when it's on dvd etc. Wouldn't send you to sleep either.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Brexit: the uncivil war

It’s really good, you probably won’t learn much if you followed the campaign and what’s happened since but it’s got a great cast and it’s entertaining.

Benedict Cumberbatch is especially good as Dominic Cummings
An absolute unit
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The Decline

French Canadian movie about a group of survivalist preppers who have a bad time in the wilderness. It’s very good, would recommend. It’s on Netflix

Jupiter Ascending

Coincidental to our Wachowski related arguments I watched this last night.

It’s a mess but it’s fun. The dialogue is as bad as any they wrote for the Matrix movies and the plot is incomprehensible. It looks amazing though and it kept me entertained. Probably not for everyone but if you like trashy sci-fi it’s worth a watch.
An absolute unit
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

ZedLeg wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 12:46 am Brexit: the uncivil war

It’s really good, you probably won’t learn much if you followed the campaign and what’s happened since but it’s got a great cast and it’s entertaining.

Benedict Cumberbatch is especially good as Dominic Cummings
How did this one end? :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

With Dominic Cummings in front of an inquiry panel being asked about the shady stuff they did to win the vote 😉
An absolute unit
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I See You - a small budget movie which came out last year and has just been released to streaming. The trailer doesn't give much away as to what sort of movie it is - police thriller or something a bit more other-worldly? I really enjoyed it and it does a good job of taking you on a twisty & turny journey.

Don't google anything about it if you're going to watch it though as the reviews I've since seen give away far too much.

Actually, scratch that, you should probably google "wtf has Helen Hunt done to her face" before you start watching because otherwise, it will prove a massive distraction. Its pretty sad someone like her has felt pressure to do whatever is it she's done instead of aging gracefully. Always thought she was great in whatever she was in.
Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Double-bill of Robin Williams today, Insomnia and One Hour Photo.
Cheers,

Mike.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

First Man

Firstly, I get that this is a well-made movie, with great effects, amazing sound and acting. The actual moon landing etc. are incredible.

But God, I hated this movie. I hated the feel of it. The whole vibe was just “off”. I hated the sparse dialogue. Critics talk about it being an intimate movie but it was just sterile to me.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Richard

Post by Richard »

We watched The Predator (2018) yesterday. It follows Predator 2, ignoring the other films like the AVP films.

It was surprisingly pretty good. Action. Sci-Fi. Shooting. Punching. Humour. Everything I look for in a brain out action film. I'd very recommend it.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Downsizing

The trailers for this looked really twee so I had mostly ignored it. I noticed it was directed by the guy who made Election recently though so I gave it a go.

It’s really good. Basically about trying to make big changes but taking your old problems with you. The cast is good, it’s funny and it gets it’s point across without being preachy.

I’d recommend.
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:36 am Downsizing

The trailers for this looked really twee so I had mostly ignored it. I noticed it was directed by the guy who made Election recently though so I gave it a go.

It’s really good. Basically about trying to make big changes but taking your old problems with you. The cast is good, it’s funny and it gets it’s point across without being preachy.

I’d recommend.
Really?! I thought (and the rest of the world too) that it was a really disappointing result for an interesting concept.

It started well, but got incredibly boring and tedious shortly after.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

unzippy wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:52 am The Gentleman

Outfuckingstanding. Everybody and everthing was ace. Hugh Grant wasn't Hugh Grant :shock:

9 posh parts of Croydon out of 10.
Watched this last night - it was brill cheers !
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Rich B wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:51 am

I’d recommend.
Really?! I thought (and the rest of the world too) that it was a really disappointing result for an interesting concept.

I liked it, maybe because I wasn’t expecting much.
An absolute unit
Simon

Post by Simon »

Rich B wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:51 am

I’d recommend.

^^ That.

A good concept totally ruined by the director taking the opportunity to lecture to his audience. A wasted opportunity.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed The Gentlemen. I like most of his movies, but that one had mixed reviews. I thought Hugh Grant was brilliant.

I really liked the trailer for Downsizing but found the movie a bit disappointing although I'm not really sure why.

I thought The Predator was utter dog shit in pretty much every way possible 😃

But then the world would be a very boring place if we all liked the same stuff!
Cheers,

Mike.
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

Parasite

Watched this last night and enjoyed it, although I’m just not sure it lived up to the hype. The shifts in tone throughout are really well done however.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Broccers wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:01 am
unzippy wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:52 am The Gentleman

Outfuckingstanding. Everybody and everthing was ace. Hugh Grant wasn't Hugh Grant :shock:

9 posh parts of Croydon out of 10.
Watched this last night - it was brill cheers !
Coincidence - I watched it again last night! Enjoyed just as much.

8 posh bits of Croydon out of 10
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division