The Movie Thread

ZedLeg

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by ZedLeg »

Eh, I wasn't that big on the movie overall, Pheonix was great as usual but the movie is a Scorsese knock off with references to some bad tropes about super villains and mental illness that comics have been trying to get away from.

The reason that Ledger's Joker worked so well is that he's a force of nature against Batman. He doesn't need a tragic origin or method, he's chaos. You lose something by try to humanise him.
An absolute unit
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

JoJo Rabbit absolutely extraordinary. Both hilarious and horrifying, felt like I'd been through a wringer by the end but a very satisfying movie experience.

Stephen Merchant should be a bad guy more often. He's a cross between the slenderman and the dude from Raiders of the lost Ark.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

RobYob wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:58 pm JoJo Rabbit absolutely extraordinary. Both hilarious and horrifying, felt like I'd been through a wringer by the end but a very satisfying movie experience.

Stephen Merchant should be a bad guy more often. He's a cross between the slenderman and the dude from Raiders of the lost Ark.
Totally agree. Watched this last night and I thought it was brilliant. The scene with the shoes had us all in pieces, as did the ending when that song started to play.

Having seen it I genuinely don't understand how it seemed to miss the target with those critics who were giving it 0/1 stars.
Cheers,

Mike.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

The Gentleman

Outfuckingstanding. Everybody and everthing was ace. Hugh Grant wasn't Hugh Grant :shock:

9 posh parts of Croydon out of 10.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Busy weekend of doing nothing...

21 Bridges - A big budget, A-list, B-movie, very enjoyable.

Knives Out - Very, very entertaining, highly recommended.

Terminator Dark Fate - Much better than I was expecting it to be. The Arnie stuff was done well and the leads were really good. OK, so its a bit derivative (and way too similar to previous ones in terms of plot) and there was a bit too much jumpy-spider CGI by the baddy, but we all really enjoyed it. Good brains-out fun.

Jojo Rabbit - Did I mention I loved it?

The Lighthouse - Still not entirely sure what I watched. But I think I liked it a lot. Similar to his previous work The Witch. Must watch both of them again...
Cheers,

Mike.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

How do I get to watch a really good screening of Top Gun 2?

I want to watch it as early as possible, sit on comfy sofas and preferably in an IMAX.

I looked online but only found places saying when it was due for release but couldn’t book a seat ?

Dave!
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I don't think Top Gun is due for release until July, so you might be a few months too early? And its not the latest Marvel or Star Wars, so you should be OK to get a decent seat booked when they become available.
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Evita - forget the painful movie I finally understand all those damn Madonna songs about Argentina :lol:
Two decades thinking that Argentina is some old lover she’s croaking on about but it’s referring to the actual country.
Almost as embarrassing as my ‘Do they know it’s Christmas’ revelation :oops:
How about not having a sig at all?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

:lol:

Don’t ever change Mito...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

End of Watch just appeared on iPlayer. Great film.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Bad Boys 3 was great - pretty much 2 hours of Martin Lawrence yelling "Oh shit!" but for entertaining action, it's hard to beat. And Reggie is in it!

Birds of Prey is properly average at best. I've no idea what the reviewers were watching, and none of us agreed it deserved the score it's getting. Margot is is great as Quinn, but otherwise, it's a bit of a mess.

IP Man 4...big fan of Donnie Yen and Scott Adkins, so this is a home run for me. Stuffed full of racist remarks, and the bigoted American's rejecting 'foreign Chinese Kung Fu' yet embracing Karate seemed odd...but still, it's an action move with Yen and Adkins, that's all it needs.
speedingfine wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:30 pm End of Watch just appeared on iPlayer. Great film.
Really enjoyed End of Watch. Might have to re.... watch it.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Parasite: saw this yesterday with the wife. A bit of a brain-fuck, it's a good film but not sure if it's Oscar-winning great.

Superbad: still funny as hell.
M235i
Beany

Post by Beany »

Terminator Dark Fate
Actually, really not bad at all. Decent pace, decent writing, shot sensibly, takes the lore in goes in a reasonable direction, not too many 'knowing' nods to the previous films etc.

Just pretend that....literally everything after T2 didn't happen (perhaps excluding TSCC because it's good too) and it makes a pretty good T3.

Solid 6/10.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Couldn't get into it.

Dark Waters

Not out yet officially, oops, but very interesting.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt9071322/

8 forever chemicals out if 10
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Broccers wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:14 pm Couldn't get into it.

Dark Waters

Not out yet officially, oops, but very interesting.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt9071322/

8 forever chemicals out if 10
C8 is some scary schit
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Saw Parasite tonight thanks to it already being out to buy in the US. It was f*cking amazing on so many levels (no pun intended). Would watch again.
Cheers,

Mike.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Late to it but really, really enjoyed Ford vs Ferrari. Shame I didn't get to see it at the cinema.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Ascender wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:59 am
RobYob wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:58 pm JoJo Rabbit absolutely extraordinary. Both hilarious and horrifying, felt like I'd been through a wringer by the end but a very satisfying movie experience.

Totally agree. Watched this last night and I thought it was brilliant. The scene with the shoes had us all in pieces, as did the ending when that song started to play.

Having seen it I genuinely don't understand how it seemed to miss the target with those critics who were giving it 0/1 stars.
Great to see Sam Rockwell blatantly chewing the scenery, too.

I think the best thing to do with those critics who gave JoJo Rabbit bad reviews is to basically ignore their opinions - they're clearly untermenschen.

On a related note, a solid eight untermenschen out of ten for the film.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Another positive vote for Parasite. Great movie.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Murder Mystery- it’s basically Murder on the Orient Express but on a yacht and featuring the God that is Adam Sandler. It’s also the only time you’ll see a Mclaren win a race.
5/10
Edit - ran the plate on the Testarossa and looks like it didn’t survive the film. Therefore 4/10
:(
How about not having a sig at all?