The Movie Thread

Beany

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by Beany »

Petective Dikachu

That was more enjoyable than expected, with mostly good acting, decent effects, serviceable plot, etc.

Very middle of the road but nowt really wrong with it. Could have done with Bill Nighy chewing more scenery though, he was really rather subdued by his normal standards.

6 confusing headscratches caused by overthinking how that world would actually work out of 10.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Terminator: Dark Fate

That was proper entertaining and a great return to form! Plot and universe full of holes as you'd expect, some quite unbelievable physics, but still very good fun.

Definitely one to recommend.

8/10 Rev. 9s
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Dolemite on Netflix is feel good pap, but decent feel good pap 👍
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Detective Pikachu was surprisingly good fun (for all the family). But yeah, I was confused too about why on earth they would want everybody to be human-Pokemon hybrids.

Pleased to hear the new Terminator movie is good as my son has just watched the first two and really enjoyed them.

I see Midsommar is out today, is that worth a watch?
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I watched Midsommar last week. It’s amazing, it’s more unsettling than scary. Reminded me of The Wicker Man.
An absolute unit
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:42 am I watched Midsommar last week. It’s amazing, it’s more unsettling than scary. Reminded me of The Wicker Man.
Then I'm in! That's tonight sorted. Thanks!
Cheers,

Mike.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Shaun the Sheep - Farmageddon - Excellent stuff, as you'd expect from Aardman Animations. Both I and mini McSwede very much enjoyed it.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

DeskJockey wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:50 pm Terminator: Dark Fate

That was proper entertaining and a great return to form! Plot and universe full of holes as you'd expect, some quite unbelievable physics, but still very good fun.

8/10 Rev. 9s
I'd agree with this and I was ready to dislike it after some poor reviews. Maybe the last third was too OTT, but overall felt like I was 12 and it was 1991 again 😁
Mr Pish
Currently Driving: Model 3 Performance

Post by Mr Pish »

speedingfine wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:01 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:50 pm Terminator: Dark Fate

8/10 Rev. 9s
I'd agree with this and I was ready to dislike it after some poor reviews. Maybe the last third was too OTT, but overall felt like I was 12 and it was 1991 again 😁
That’s interesting cause everything I have seen says it’s woke feminist virtue signalling like captain marvel, oceans 8, the last Jedi, ghost busters reboot etc. and that it has tanked at the box office.

I liked the last one so will give this one a go then

If you don’t have it T2 remastered in 4K is excellent
Join us, join the Teslarati!
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:42 am I watched Midsommar last week. It’s amazing, it’s more unsettling than scary. Reminded me of The Wicker Man.
Really looking forward to watching this. Perfect Sunday night fodder after a big weekend. :x
tim

Post by tim »

Went to see Joker last night. Probably the film of the year for me by a country mile. If you've ever been around someone with severe mental health issues it really strikes a chord in a lot of ways.

One hell of a way to introduce a character.

9.5 midget kisses out of 10.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

T6 - Dark Fate hell yes, that is exactly what I want from an action movie! Watching the original last night it's still a great movie but the three decade old SFX do jar just a touch (that rubber mask!)

Into the Spiderverse watched at home again after loving it in the cinema, if anything better second time around. My favourite film in a long time.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

RobYob wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:31 pm
Into the Spiderverse watched at home again after loving it in the cinema, if anything better second time around. My favourite film in a long time.
Yep - watched a random 15 mins in the middle and thought yep, this is cool so recorded the lot. Going to watch this weekend
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Beany

Post by Beany »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:39 pm
Yep - watched a random 15 mins in the middle and thought yep, this is cool so recorded the lot. Going to watch this weekend
Totally worth it.

Hearing a lot of generally positive things about T6 (nothing lore wise, etc, just that it's a very enjoyable film) so looking forward to it hitting the rental market.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Beany wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:04 pm
dinny_g wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:39 pm
Totally worth it.

Hearing a lot of generally positive things about T6 (nothing lore wise, etc, just that it's a very enjoyable film) so looking forward to it hitting the rental market.
I liked the way they got the story going, it's not "rebooted" exactly but you can happily fit it in with however many of the Terminator movies you care to remember or not.

It has some very cool fights more than worthy of the big screen. I only paid £5 for a ticket on tightarse Tuesday.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I haven’t seen the movie, but I’ve seen the trailer for Midway a couple of times. Is it supposed to look like the the CGI is lifted directly from the 1987 Capcom game “1943: The Battle of Midway”? It looks fucking terrible.

Middle-aged Dirtbag
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:22 pm I haven’t seen the movie, but I’ve seen the trailer for Midway a couple of times. Is it supposed to look like the the CGI is lifted directly from the 1987 Capcom game “1943: The Battle of Midway”? It looks fucking terrible.

That looks shit!
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I didn't think it was possible for a movie to look so appalling in 2019, but here we are...
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It looks like War Thunder :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:29 pm I didn't think it was possible for a movie to look so appalling in 2019, but here we are...
90% of the problem is improbable camera angles.

£5 says if they'd shot all the SFX stuff from hard mounted CGI 'cameras' with a bit of shake on them (IE fixed to fuselages, from a gun emplacement on a ship, etc), it'd look a lot less like someone had knocked it up in AutoCAD.

I mean, they got this right in Firefly in 2002, how can they keep making the same mistakes?